Offensive Rating - Cam Spencer | The Boneyard

Offensive Rating - Cam Spencer

Poe

Reaction Score
Cam is currently first in nation in offensive rating. If he can sustain this, it would be 6th all time (which goes back to 2009-2010).

Cam for President 2024

IMG_4173.jpeg

Reaction Score
The impressive thing about him is that the talk about him being slow or unathletic seems ridiculous now. The kid is a baller.

WeAreUCONN

Why So Serious ¿
Reaction Score
Very impressive and even though Cam is extremely efficient when shooting, he doesn’t usually force shots and shoots within the flow of the game, as does Karaban and most of the Huskies. Newton is the one player that gives himself heat checks but that’s fine because we need him to be a prolific scorer.

Reaction Score
After last year I thought that Hawkins, Jackson and Adama were all so unique in their skill sets that they couldn’t be replaced. Instead, we’d need different skills from different types of players similar to Johnson strengths versus Adana’s. I was for the most part incorrect. Cam has mostly replaced Hawks skills and Castle has mostly matched Jackson‘s which is a testament to the staffs ability to scout and develop talent.

Reaction Score
Very impressive and even though Cam is extremely efficient when shooting, he doesn’t usually force shots and shoots within the flow of the game, as does Karaban and most of the Huskies. Newton is the one player that gives himself heat checks but that’s fine because we need him to be a prolific scorer.

Newton needs to pick his spots better from 3 at times. He's good for one headscratcher a game. Not that it has made a huge difference to day, but 1 or 2 possessions wasted can doom you in March.

Reaction Score
Newton needs to pick his spots better from 3 at times. He's good for one headscratcher a game. Not that it has made a huge difference to day, but 1 or 2 possessions wasted can doom you in March.
I have the exact opposite take on this. Newtons freewheeling and flair adds a necessary unpredictability to this team. They have plenty of grinders and guys who efficiently hunt for their shot. Newtons laid back vibe and wild card shot making is additive, not destructive to the offensive plan.

Reaction Score
I have the exact opposite take on this. Newtons freewheeling and flair adds a necessary unpredictability to this team. They have plenty of grinders and guys who efficiently hunt for their shot. Newtons laid back vibe and wild card shot making is additive, not destructive to the offensive plan.

You're going to have a hard time convincing a basketball coach that a 28 foot shot with no trailing rebounder is a good thing even if the vibe is right.

Reaction Score
He’s one of those players that thinks once 1 three goes in, it’s heat check time. Leads to the inefficiency he has had before the last couple games. I’m sure it will be corrected once the big time games come though.

Reaction Score
You're going to have a hard time convincing a basketball coach that a 28 foot shot with no trailing rebounder is a good thing even if the vibe is right.
Do you feel the same about Alex? Yes he's a better 3 pt shooter but he also takes a couple of 27 footers

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
After last year I thought that Hawkins, Jackson and Adama were all so unique in their skill sets that they couldn’t be replaced. Instead, we’d need different skills from different types of players similar to Johnson strengths versus Adana’s. I was for the most part incorrect. Cam has mostly replaced Hawks skills and Castle has mostly matched Jackson‘s which is a testament to the staffs ability to scout and develop talent.
I've been thinking the same thing but I've been thinking something like this since the loss of RJ, Reese and the Wrench.

Reaction Score
Do you feel the same about Alex? Yes he's a better 3 pt shooter but he also takes a couple of 27 footers

Alex rarely takes heat checks. He has that range when he's open anyways. And Alex's heat checks are usually with a big trailing, which we can live with any day. His IQ is so high even his heat checks aren't bad shots.

Regardless, Alex and Cam are entitled to them because of their effeciency. At the end of the day, Newton isn't a very good shooter (30%) and they are both exceptional (40%+). At 30% he should be a bit more

We're talking like 1 shot a game here. Maybe less. Hardly a huge flaw in Our offensive game plan. I'm not concerned in the least.

Reaction Score
He's super efficient, but during the broadcast on Sunday, it was shared that UConn wanted to target a transfer who never made the tournament in order to add veteran who was super hungry to make it this year.

Timberlake never made the tournament at Towson, so they pivoted and got Cam Spencer, who also never made the tournament at Loyola (MD) or Rutgers.

Just here to admire that genius move by the staff: it never occurred to me that getting a guy who never made the tournament so we can add a super hungry guy was a recruiting strategy, but for a championship caliber team, it makes a boatload of sense.

Reaction Score
He's super efficient, but during the broadcast on Sunday, it was shared that UConn wanted to target a transfer who never made the tournament in order to add veteran who was super hungry to make it this year.

Timberlake never made the tournament at Towson, so they pivoted and got Cam Spencer, who also never made the tournament at Loyola (MD) or Rutgers.

Just here to admire that genius move by the staff: it never occurred to me that getting a guy who never made the tournament so we can add a super hungry guy was a recruiting strategy, but for a championship caliber team, it makes a boatload of sense.
There’s so much more to Cam than that. He’s super competitive regardless if he’s been to the tournament or not, extremely high BB IQ. Passing savant with eyes in the back of his head and money if I needed that guy to make the game winner.

Reaction Score

I can't imagine this is true. You target the best player who fits your system and culture that shows reciprocal interest. We aren't Duke getting the pick of the litter.

This sounds like more of a recruiting pitch or coach speak than actual strategy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom