Offensive line.... | The Boneyard

Offensive line....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I pray we have something better redshirting or otherwise ready to contribute. Just a pathetic display. The game film will be gruesome. There was no chance tonight.

Line will be better next year.

I still want to enjoy a bowl game and let seniors enjoy their (rightful) accomplishments.

Staff has demonstrated a willingness to adjust depth chart throughout this year.

No one on the line is guaranteed their spot next season.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
The o-line was the killer last night. Horrible.

Crozier is back, that alone will make us better. We lose one guy, Samra. He's been pretty solid. I am guessing that Peart finds his way into the starting lineup next season. I don't know if it's at Levy's expense (who can go from pancake block to consecutive penalties without missing a beat) or we move someone inside. We have 6 freshman/sophomores on the 2-deep and that's not counting Crozier. As bad as they played last night, they are much improved this season and young enough to make me believe we can still see incremental improvement.

Reaction Score
We need to move some of these guys to different positions on the line. I will say it again, Levy should be kicked inside. Vechery should probably move to RT.

We need to get alot better here, and I remain very concerned. I am hoping we can snag a couple 5th year/JUCO linemen ready to play now.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
This is something I've been wondering about and maybe some of the recruiting folks can weigh in. Are we pursuing any Offensive lineman in recruiting? It seems like this class is made up of skill players and QBs who can possibly play other positions possibly. However, our most glaring need is on the OLine. So why aren't we going after any OLine recruits? Diaco is having success with recruiting and you'd think it'd be pretty easy to try and show a HS Oline player that we need help from them at that position.

So has Diaco just been striking out with OLine recruits or are we just not pursuing anyone? I can't imagine we would not be looking at any OLine prospects. As it is, those players won't likely contribute for another year or so if they were to come in as Frosh next year but the sooner we get them in the pipeline the better we'll become.

Reaction Score
The OL went into the abyss under the stupid twins. The most critical unit in college football was not developed in terms of technique or S&C. It was a total and utter meltdown. We are seeing progress, even though last night against one of the nation's better defenses didn't show it. If the progress in 2016 is anything like it was this season, we should be headed to a good place.

Small example, Steve Green at his pro day benched 225 LBs 13 times, and in fairness to him, he was one of the better OLmen on that 2013 team. I'm pretty sure that puts him in the absolute bottom rung of all FBS across all positions, let alone OLmen. How does something like that happen? How does he get on the field or stay on the team?

Disco looks to have this moving in the right direction. I expect 2016 to be better than this season and in 2017 we might really make a run.

Reaction Score
I pray we have something better redshirting or otherwise ready to contribute. Just a pathetic display. The game film will be gruesome. There was no chance tonight.

The game film is gonna be like watching an autopsy. Morbidly unpleasant.

Reaction Score
This is something I've been wondering about and maybe some of the recruiting folks can weigh in. Are we pursuing any Offensive lineman in recruiting? It seems like this class is made up of skill players and QBs who can possibly play other positions possibly. However, our most glaring need is on the OLine. So why aren't we going after any OLine recruits? Diaco is having success with recruiting and you'd think it'd be pretty easy to try and show a HS Oline player that we need help from them at that position.

So has Diaco just been striking out with OLine recruits or are we just not pursuing anyone? I can't imagine we would not be looking at any OLine prospects. As it is, those players won't likely contribute for another year or so if they were to come in as Frosh next year but the sooner we get them in the pipeline the better we'll become.
We have one commit nino Leone. Appears to have the size and quickness.

Reaction Score
The o-line was the killer last night. Horrible.

Crozier is back, that alone will make us better. We lose one guy, Samra. He's been pretty solid. I am guessing that Peart finds his way into the starting lineup next season. I don't know if it's at Levy's expense (who can go from pancake block to consecutive penalties without missing a beat) or we move someone inside. We have 6 freshman/sophomores on the 2-deep and that's not counting Crozier. As bad as they played last night, they are much improved this season and young enough to make me believe we can still see incremental improvement.
Samra pretty solid? There are a few guys who are consistently standing around watching as Newsmen, Johnson or Sherriff's get creamed...Samra and Levy are 2 of the biggest offenders with Knappe coming in a close 2nd. If Crozier had not been hurt, I don't think Samra would have started this season if you ask me. I definitely won't miss him next season that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Samra pretty solid? There are a few guys who are consistently standing around watching as Newsmen, Johnson or Sherriff's get creamed...Samra and Levy are 2 of the biggest offenders with Knappe coming in a close 2nd. If Crozier had not been hurt, I don't think Samra would have started this season if you ask me. I definitely won't miss him next season that's for sure.
Have to agree with this. Poor construct, Pro style qb and this line. TEs and RBs are not very good also in this regard. Overall blocking is the biggest issue going forward if we are to get beyond 6-7 wins. Guessing they are high on Peart, putting him on the 2-deep without any intention of playing him is the best way to publically acknowledge what they think of him. Crozier was slotted to start at center. I thought Gifford played decent at the end of '13 and better than Knappe until he got hurt last year. Did anyone see Hopkins at OG?(I was thinking RT ). Diaco put him at LG to give the position more athleticism, that kind of raised my eyebrow as I thought he was a better pass blocker than run blocker. Gotta admit I was originally enamored of their overall height. I give them credit for working hard to get in better shape with Levy really benefitting from the conditioning program.
Looking at initially for next year if no one steps up of; Levy, Hopkins, Crozier, Samra Replacement, Knappe.

Reaction Score
Totally agree. Kind of difficult to run Outside the guard/tackle gap when your guard can't get his head across the D lineman on his outside shoulder

Reaction Score
While the O-Line has improved slightly, from a year ago ,and will improve next yr, I still think we need new blood and more competition on O-line. We need to recruit better players there. The O-line was terrible last nite.

Reaction Score
Levy, Crozier, Oak, Rutherford, Knappe is what I'd like to see next year. Hopkins, Vechery & Hashemi back ups.

Reaction Score
If Levy is a starter next season I'd be surprised...I think t's possible you could see a line of (left to right) Peart, Rutherford, Crozier, Oak or Vechery, Hopkins
The way this line has played other than Hopkins and Vechery there are no guaranteed spots.

Reaction Score
If Levy is a starter next season I'd be surprised...I think t's possible you could see a line of (left to right) Peart, Rutherford, Crozier, Oak or Vechery, Hopkins
The way this line has played other than Hopkins and Vechery there are no guaranteed spots.
Levy as a LT is much better than the interior 3 guys IMO. He has been far from perfect but he is average to above average IMO. I expect him to improve with another year of S&C under Balis. I'm much more concerned over the interior. I liked Rutherford a lot last year, but he failed to push Samra to the bench and Hopkins beat him out. Those 2 guys have struggled this year as has Vechery at picking up stunts and blitzes.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
So has Diaco just been striking out with OLine recruits or are we just not pursuing anyone? I can't imagine we would not be looking at any OLine prospects.

I know that we've got offers out to some really big prospects. Huskymedic or Dynasty would probably have a better read on the recruiting trail, but some of the names are players like:

Lucas Niang - New Canaan, CT ranked #36 tackle (I would love to land this home product)
Jauan Williams - Washington DC, ranked #11 tackle
Terrance Davis - Maryland, ranked #2 guard
Richard Davis - Washington DC, ranked #6 guard
Johncarlo Valentin - Philadelphia, ranked #11 guard
Keith Coleman - Hartford, CT, unranked 3 star guard

As you can imagine, we will be battling against 20 teams or so for most of those kids. There are a few other 3 star prospects that I haven't mentioned that we are also in on. I would love to at least lock up the two prospects from CT, although it's going to be tough to beat out Auburn for Niang. Hopefully, some of these kids will be drawn by the fact that they can possibly play right away and play for 4 years, in front of big crowds and on tv every game. If anyone can sell them on the UConn dream, I'm guessing it's Diaco....or me... ;)

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Since you went there, tell me that Tommy Hopkins had a better game than Samra against Temple. He was horrible. Do you think everyone sucks on the line then?

huskypantz

Reaction Score
I'd take Knappe over Hopkins concerning guaranteed spots. As I said in another post, Hopkins got waxed against Temple, multiple lookout blocks. Who exactly is your second tackle in the lineup you're suggesting?

Reaction Score
He hasn't.
OK then we have 3 RS FR next year. We should get 3 per year at least. 2 deep is 10, 3 RS that's 13, and 3 more in case - 16 on hand at all times.

We have 17. We lose Samra and Gifford. That's it.

Reaction Score
I know that we've got offers out to some really big prospects. Huskymedic or Dynasty would probably have a better read on the recruiting trail, but some of the names are players like:

Lucas Niang - New Canaan, CT ranked #36 tackle (I would love to land this home product)
Jauan Williams - Washington DC, ranked #11 tackle
Terrance Davis - Maryland, ranked #2 guard
Richard Davis - Washington DC, ranked #6 guard
Johncarlo Valentin - Philadelphia, ranked #11 guard
Keith Coleman - Hartford, CT, unranked 3 star guard

As you can imagine, we will be battling against 20 teams or so for most of those kids. There are a few other 3 star prospects that I haven't mentioned that we are also in on. I would love to at least lock up the two prospects from CT, although it's going to be tough to beat out Auburn for Niang. Hopefully, some of these kids will be drawn by the fact that they can possibly play right away and play for 4 years, in front of big crowds and on tv every game. If anyone can sell them on the UConn dream, I'm guessing it's Diaco....or me... ;)
We have Nino Leone coming in. My wish list is we can also bring in Keith Coleman, Marcus Brown, and Mike Lonsdorf to push our current kids along the OL

Reaction Score
Bottom line:

The OL has to get better. Whether it is talent, S&C, coaching or any combination of the above...if we don't improve we will never win more than 6/7 games. Arguing about Boyle etc is useless.

When DB was in the backfield we didn't even try to pass. We ran it down people's throats. I am not suggesting that is fun to watch, but we have been shut down multiple times this year. Which means quite frankly we aren't that good yet.

Take the bowl and enjoy it. Hope the pups bring it next year.

huskypantz

Reaction Score
Bottom line:

The OL has to get better. Whether it is talent, S&C, coaching or any combination of the above...if we don't improve we will never win more than 6/7 games. Arguing about Boyle etc is useless.

When DB was in the backfield we didn't even try to pass. We ran it down people's throats. I am not suggesting that is fun to watch, but we have been shut down multiple times this year. Which means quite frankly we aren't that good yet.

Take the bowl and enjoy it. Hope the pups bring it next year.
Agreed on all fronts. That said, this year's version of the o-line is definitely well ahead of what's we've seen the past two seasons, and just as a baseline appears to be moving in the right direction. It is still very young - even upperclassmen like Knappe are essentially new to the position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom