Offense vs zone | The Boneyard

Offense vs zone

Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
Absolutely atrocious. Literally every possession vs the zone consists of our guys just standing around and passing on the perimeter. Eventually, we end up shooting a low-percentage, rushed 3-pt attempt. Rinse, repeat.

Why is no one showing at the elbow!? Why are we not getting in the GAPS of the zone? Instead, we play into the strength of the zone by just passing around the perimeter.

If someone does get in the lane, do we take it to the rim? No... we kick it back out and wind up take a lower-percentage shot from 3.

Why is no one ATTACKING the rim with purpose!? Why is no one posting up down low in isolation and banging!? Even if it's not our best offensive option personnel-wise, we could draw fouls and get to the line. Play inside-out.

Where is KO's offensive mind? Everyone touts him for his NBA background. Where are those X's and O's? Draw something up for someone! This team is so out of sync offensively. No one looks confident. No one is playing with swagger. Everyone looks passive and scared. We turn the ball over.

The team has regressed since the beginning of the season. I remember being really confident going into the game vs Syracuse's zone because the team was ATTACKING and passing and moving crisply. I see none of that now.

I get its hard to win a game when Purvis and Hamilton combine for 3 for 23. But a lot of those shots were FORCED as a RESULT of the consistently poor offense. This team has deeper issues right now, and the lack of offensive flow is troubling.

Reaction Score
To be honest jc only had like 3 teams that could break the zone. Even fewer by the end of his days. It just bothers our uniforms.

Reaction Score
Yeah, JC had the same issues but at least we had better offensive players with JC.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Our zone offense sucks because our players settle for passing it around 4x then taking the first open 3.

There are gaps to every zone, and getting the ball moving, albeit quicker than we do, IS necessary. But our guys seem to think 3 slow passes, shot is the way to "attack" it.

To my eyes, his zone offense is similar if not exactly the same as any I've seen from a JC coached team, they just don't attack it in any way, shape, or form. When do they do, they get good looks, and even if they don't fall, they will soften the zone up big time.

No D is softened when they just stand there and take 2 steps to the side as you nonchalantly pass it 5 feet away.

C

Chief00

I hate this myth. Calhoun teams took their d___ out and slapped Syracuse's 2-3 zone with it more times than I can count.
Actually, truth be told, Blaney was the zone busting brain trust. Calhoun always deferred to George when it came to breaking a zone.
It's clear on the defensive side Coach Miller has won the zone debate - part of that I am told is protecting guys from fouls. We will see.

Reaction Score
Actually, truth be told, Blaney was the zone busting brain trust. Calhoun always deferred to George when it came to breaking a zone.
It's clear on the defensive side Coach Miller has won the zone debate - part of that I am told is protecting guys from fouls. We will see.

Quite frankly, Jim Calhoun was the head coach. Hence, quite frankly, my use of the phrase "Calhoun teams." But, quite frankly, your attempt to impart some "inside info" is good for a laugh as it is, quite frankly, always. As I recall, quite frankly, it was Calhoun who ESPN would have in studio during Syracuse games breaking down the zone. Quite frankly. Meow.

Reaction Score
This, I feel, has been the biggest disappointment of KO's tenure.

He was brought in as an innovative, NBA mind. But we've seen virtually none of that in the X's and O's design of our offense, particularly against the zone.

Reaction Score
This, I feel, has been the biggest disappointment of KO's tenure.

He was brought in as an innovative, NBA mind. But we've seen virtually none of that in the X's and O's design of our offense, particularly against the zone.

Another disappointment in this new era which we do not discuss is the fact we never get a basket off an in bounds play. Actually we are lucky to get possession for ourselves on an inbounds play some time, it's really ugly.

(kick him while he'd down huh- Feel awful but things are becoming painfully obvious)

Tommyboy

a lot of people go to college for seven years
Reaction Score
Mr. French said:
Our zone offense sucks because our players settle for passing it around 4x then taking the first open 3. There are gaps to every zone, and getting the ball moving, albeit quicker than we do, IS necessary. But our guys seem to think 3 slow passes, shot is the way to "attack" it. To my eyes, his zone offense is similar if not exactly the same as any I've seen from a JC coached team, they just don't attack it in any way, shape, or form. When do they do, they get good looks, and even if they don't fall, they will soften the zone up big time. No D is softened when they just stand there and take 2 steps to the side as you nonchalantly pass it 5 feet away.

Also doesn't help when half of our passes bounce at the guys feet. so even if they had an idea to attack or shoot an open shot by the time they gather the defense has recovered.

Reaction Score
Absolutely atrocious. Literally every possession vs the zone consists of our guys just standing around and passing on the perimeter. Eventually, we end up shooting a low-percentage, rushed 3-pt attempt. Rinse, repeat.

Why is no one showing at the elbow!? Why are we not getting in the GAPS of the zone? Instead, we play into the strength of the zone by just passing around the perimeter.

If someone does get in the lane, do we take it to the rim? No... we kick it back out and wind up take a lower-percentage shot from 3.

Why is no one ATTACKING the rim with purpose!? Why is no one posting up down low in isolation and banging!? Even if it's not our best offensive option personnel-wise, we could draw fouls and get to the line. Play inside-out.

Where is KO's offensive mind? Everyone touts him for his NBA background. Where are those X's and O's? Draw something up for someone! This team is so out of sync offensively. No one looks confident. No one is playing with swagger. Everyone looks passive and scared. We turn the ball over.

The team has regressed since the beginning of the season. I remember being really confident going into the game vs Syracuse's zone because the team was ATTACKING and passing and moving crisply. I see none of that now.

I get its hard to win a game when Purvis and Hamilton combine for 3 for 23. But a lot of those shots were FORCED as a RESULT of the consistently poor offense. This team has deeper issues right now, and the lack of offensive flow is troubling.
Always been a problem at UConn. Poor half court offense and it was even worse under JC. UConn teams traditionally are outstanding transition teams to make up for it. Not so much this year.
Right now there are too many good players playing without much confidence especially Hamilton, Purvis and Adams.

Reaction Score
Always been a problem at UConn. Poor half court offense and it was even worse under JC. UConn teams traditionally are outstanding transition teams to make up for it. Not so much this year.
Right now there are too many good players playing without much confidence especially Hamilton, Purvis and Adams.
This is what kills me. They COULD be a fantastic transition team. They've shown it at times this year (Michigan game comes to mind). They just choose not to run. The backcourt is full of guys that can get to the basket in transition and the frontcourt (Brimah especially) runs the floor better than most bigs.

Reaction Score
This is what kills me. They COULD be a fantastic transition team. They've shown it at times this year (Michigan game comes to mind). They just choose not to run. The backcourt is full of guys that can get to the basket in transition and the frontcourt (Brimah especially) runs the floor better than most bigs.

What kills me is this team could be a good offensive rebounding team. Yes, I said that. Tulsa was tiny upfront. We just didn't compete.

Instead, we are so afraid of transition that four guys run back after after each shot. We never crash the boards with more than one guy. I understand rotating back but we have made a strategic decision not send two or three guys after offensive rebounds.

Reaction Score
One of our offensive rebounders spent more time at the three point line last night than anywhere near the paint. That surely did not help. Facey was the only guy that was not allergic to the paint area last night and one of the few who actually touched a ball it was shot by a husky player.

Reaction Score

I feel i keep repeating myself on different threads with this notion....

but WHAT HAPPENED TO FAST BREAK POINTS???

Gibbs, Jalen, Purvis & HAMILTON are such deadly weapons in the fast break. Speed, athleticism, court-vision....why am I not seeing this more often in games? ESPECIALLY against the zone.

Everyone's bitching about Hamilton's confidence and lack of urgency lately, which I couldn't agree with more, so how about we get him in the open court and get some easy transition point and free throws to boost his confidence? He sees a couple go in then maybe he'll get out of his head and start knocking down some more 3s.

The problem is Hamilton grabs the majority of our defensive rebounds right now and can't get ahead of the defense and into the open court to do so. Guys gotta step up and grab more defensive boards and outlet quickly to allow Hamilton to do this.

C

Chief00

Quite frankly, Jim Calhoun was the head coach. Hence, quite frankly, my use of the phrase "Calhoun teams." But, quite frankly, your attempt to impart some "inside info" is good for a laugh as it is, quite frankly, always. As I recall, quite frankly, it was Calhoun who ESPN would have in studio during Syracuse games breaking down the zone. Quite frankly. Meow.

I have been accused as overusing quite frankly but you takeout to a whole new level LOL.

My guess is Calhoun would be the first to say that Blaney was the zone expert on his staff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom