OT: - Oculus Busted TV. What do you do? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Oculus Busted TV. What do you do?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Yeah if cost isn't an issue just offer to buy them a new TV. If they insist that you don't need to do that, get them another nice gift as @mussels suggested. Otherwise, it could lead to resentment that could boil over and cause a fracture in the friendship.
…. And why be an ass hat? Just step up and do the right thing, which you really should’ve done in the moment it was broken.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Defend Mrs. Diesel?

How about bringing a claim against the neighbor for negligence/premises liability? It's preposterous that they set up their VR gaming area so close to the television set when it is reasonably foreseeable that an invitee might punch it (or another object) and injure herself.

How is her hand feeling, @Chin Diesel ? I think you better get it checked out, maybe get some meds and physical therapy prescribed, treat for a couple months and see if she is left with any permanent injury--other than the emotional scars and trauma, that is.

In the meantime, tell him to check his homeowner's insurance policy and put the carrier on notice.

Great plot twist with the insurance angle. Long story short in Sep 2021 our area got nailed by Hurricane Sally and almost every had major roof damage. Not only was their roof damaged but they had significant leaking through their ceiling and have had a tarp covering most of their living room for past 15 months. Their insurance company dragged their feet because the insurance company claimed there was pre-existing damage to the roof which contributed or caused the rest of the damage. So, insurance claim rejected brings in lawyers, public adjusters and arbitration which ended up with our friend's getting a check for probably twice the amount they will need for all repairs.

Reaction Score
A secondary benefit of buying the neighbors a new TV set.

You just gave you wife a get out of jail free card. She owes you. You have hand. Not something to be dismissed lightly.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Great plot twist with the insurance angle. Long story short in Sep 2021 our area got nailed by Hurricane Sally and almost every had major roof damage. Not only was their roof damaged but they had significant leaking through their ceiling and have had a tarp covering most of their living room for past 15 months. Their insurance company dragged their feet because the insurance company claimed there was pre-existing damage to the roof which contributed or caused the rest of the damage. So, insurance claim rejected brings in lawyers, public adjusters and arbitration which ended up with our friend's getting a check for probably twice the amount they will need for all repairs.
I forgot to add that you may have derivative claims for loss of consortium and bystander emotional distress.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Defend Mrs. Diesel?

How about bringing a claim against the neighbor for negligence/premises liability? It's preposterous that they set up their VR gaming area so close to the television set when it is reasonably foreseeable that an invitee might punch it (or another object) and injure herself.

How is her hand feeling, @Chin Diesel ? I think you better get it checked out, maybe get some meds and physical therapy prescribed, treat for a couple months and see if she is left with any permanent injury--other than the emotional scars and trauma, that is.

In the meantime, tell him to check his homeowner's insurance policy and put the carrier on notice.

I love the smell of a litigation in the morning.

apocalypse now napalm GIF

Reaction Score
Offer full cost of the TV. But you give them the market value of the current tv or full cost of a new comparable tv?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You have to offer to replace it. You don’t get to negligently bust up someone’s property and then say “but you don’t need it anyway because you have another one.”

See, lawyers get blamed for people like Chin when they have to step in to settle matters that should be settled without needing them.

I am getting verification of the game's name and checking the safety manuals and safety warning which come with the game.
They fed my wife copious amounts of questionable quality alcohol and then started the game themselves to induce her in to playing. It wasn't like she was snooping under their bed past the sex swing trapeze and found the video game.
They willingly got her drunk and then put her in front of their TV with VR goggles and said go for it. I mean they were basically asking for it to be punched out.
I was basically the only sane one in the house who correctly claimed I'd had way too much to drink to try any of that stuff.

Reaction Score
The immediate response is to offer to replace it and if they take you up on it, so be it. How they respond also sets expectations for future "incidents." If they decline, you can always offer to put something towards it, at least half! And they may accept.

Of course, the accident was predictable. They knew the risks, They should be prepared to fund any and all accidents. I would offer to replace it and surprise them with this:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I am getting verification of the game's name and checking the safety manuals and safety warning which come with the game.
They fed my wife copious amounts of questionable quality alcohol and then started the game themselves to induce her in to playing. It wasn't like she was snooping under their bed past the sex swing trapeze and found the video game.
They willingly got her drunk and then put her in front of their TV with VR goggles and said go for it. I mean they were basically asking for it to be punched out.
I was basically the only sane one in the house who correctly claimed I'd had way too much to drink to try any of that stuff.

So, next up we need to understand the paradigm of liability within the Metaverse. Digital trespassing for example. It's going to be an interesting future for lawyers.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Defend Mrs. Diesel?

John Haymond, zat you?

Reaction Score
I smell entrapment

Reaction Score
First and foremost, make sure Mrs. Diesel makes a public display of wearing this. Struggling to carry groceries, trying to hold door open, etc.

View attachment 72108
This could also impact your personal interactions with your wife, causing your groin area distress. You should seek compensation

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
First and foremost, make sure Mrs. Diesel makes a public display of wearing this. Struggling to carry groceries, trying to hold door open, etc.

View attachment 72108

Your wife should send them a video apology:
mean girls neck brace GIF

“ So, the shock traveled up my arm and apparently injured my spine. Don’t worry about me though, they say I have a good 61% chance of walking again.”

Reaction Score
While I think you owe them some help in replacing the Tv, I fully agree that the owner of the VR who says to someone else “try this out” and sets them up has the responsibility to say things like don’t walk around, and show them the limits of their playable area. It’s amazing how much space you actually need to avoid injuries and damage. As a VR owner with a close to 7’ wingspan, it’s not easy!

Reaction Score
I own a VR headset and I can tell you that unless you've been given a bit of instruction, and also that the field of play has been properly defined in setup, this kind of accident is inevitable. As such, I would say the blame must be shared.

Part of setup with VR is to walk off the field of play. This area is shown as boundary lines in the headset when playing. Anyone who owns a VR headset has probably experienced inadvertent contact with the ceiling or furniture. Your wife should not have been that close to a TV.
BTW, vertigo and nausea are also common when one first experiences VR.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom