October transfer thread | The Boneyard

October transfer thread

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
So with all the transfers, when will we know who was granted their “freebie move” and who has to sit out? Does prior moves count or is everyone now given a free pass? For example Alexis Morris now at LSU after first starting at Baylor, then Rutgers and then Texas A&M. She is at her 4th school and I thought the rule was for a “one time” transfer for those in good standing. She has sat out under the residency issue and I am not vested in this decision and actually hope she can play immediately at LSU as they use the talent. Just curious how the NCAA will handle all these moves and when…

Reaction Score
So with all the transfers, when will we know who was granted their “freebie move” and who has to sit out? Does prior moves count or is everyone now given a free pass? For example Alexis Morris now at LSU after first starting at Baylor, then Rutgers and then Texas A&M. She is at her 4th school and I thought the rule was for a “one time” transfer for those in good standing. She has sat out under the residency issue and I am not vested in this decision and actually hope she can play immediately at LSU as they use the talent. Just curious how the NCAA will handle all these moves and when…
I am curious about this also because if I'm not mistaken, the "freebie move" in Morris' case would be Texas A&M? So wouldn't she have to sit this year out? The same could be said with Dicosta who started at Baylor, then to LMU, then to Sac State, and now at Shawnee State (although I think in Dicosta's case Shawnee State is her freebie move?) I'm sure Mulkey has filed a waiver if necessary for Morris and I am intrigued to see how the NCAA rules transfers moving forward especially with the COVID exception. As we've seen in the past there have been transfers that were allowed to play immediately and some that weren't even though they may have been in a "similar" situation. I guess we shall only see.

Reaction Score
I am curious about this also because if I'm not mistaken, the "freebie move" in Morris' case would be Texas A&M? So wouldn't she have to sit this year out? The same could be said with Dicosta who started at Baylor, then to LMU, then to Sac State, and now at Shawnee State (although I think in Dicosta's case Shawnee State is her freebie move?) I'm sure Mulkey has filed a waiver if necessary for Morris and I am intrigued to see how the NCAA rules transfers moving forward especially with the COVID exception. As we've seen in the past there have been transfers that were allowed to play immediately and some that weren't even though they may have been in a "similar" situation. I guess we shall only see.
I've never heard of a player going from d1 to a lower level such as d2 or d3 and having to sit out. So whether or not Decosta used freebie move is irrelevant with her most recent move so she should be able to play.

Reaction Score
I've never heard of a player going from d1 to a lower level such as d2 or d3 and having to sit out. So whether or not Decosta used freebie move is irrelevant with her most recent move so she should be able to play.
gotcha, that makes sense - on that note, I wonder how common it is for DI players to transfer to a DII or DIII school, Dicosta is a recent one but I can't seem to think of any other recent DI to DII/DIII transfers, especially one that was an ESPN top recruit out of high school

Reaction Score
Danielle Wilson ended up at a lower level after transferring from Baylor and sitting out 3 seasons, but that was a long time ago.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Someone noted in the September thread that Promise Taylor is now at Grayson College. Played freshman season at Ole Miss, followed by a mandatory transfer sit-out season at Miss. State. Another semester (or two) at MSU before leaving the program (due to injuries?). It's like she's now in a fourth academic year, but at a JUCO where you are supposed to graduate after 2 years.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Along these lines, what about Ohio State senior guard Taylor Mikesell, now back in her home state and on her 3rd team? I caught this paragraph about her in the press release Ohio State put out about opening practice:

"Senior guard Taylor Mikesell joins Ohio State after spending the last year at Oregon and starting her career with two years at Maryland. The 2018-19 Big Ten Freshman of the Year broke UMD’s single-season three-pointers record as a freshman and went on to lead Oregon in the same category as the Ducks made a Sweet Sixteen appearance in 2020-21.

There's nothing there about sitting out a year. Has Coach McGuff put in for a waiver?

Reaction Score
Along these lines, what about Ohio State senior guard Taylor Mikesell, now back in her home state and on her 3rd team? I caught this paragraph about her in the press release Ohio State put out about opening practice:

"Senior guard Taylor Mikesell joins Ohio State after spending the last year at Oregon and starting her career with two years at Maryland. The 2018-19 Big Ten Freshman of the Year broke UMD’s single-season three-pointers record as a freshman and went on to lead Oregon in the same category as the Ducks made a Sweet Sixteen appearance in 2020-21.

There's nothing there about sitting out a year. Has Coach McGuff put in for a waiver?
Maybe shes a grad transfer ? Or is she using the covid rule ? Good question

Reaction Score
why wouldn’t she be?
I think the reason why some weren't sure was due to when she transferred.

From what I've seen in this forum, there are posts where it was noted that athletes who wanted to be eligible to play this year had to enter the transfer portal before July 1, 2021. Her transfer to Tulane occurred after this deadline.

Regardless, she's approved to play and the squad at Tulane will benefit greatly with her being part of the roster.

Reaction Score
I don't see any reason why she wouldn't have been able to play (at least from my perspective). She was only at LSU for a hot second and never played a minute there after coming in as a grad transfer. She deserves to play this year.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom