Observations after watching USA-Australia FIBA U19 | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Observations after watching USA-Australia FIBA U19

Reaction Score
I’m curious to see how this team reacts to being challenged. So far not one these opponents are even NCAA tournament quality.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
But I don't understand - Clark is a selfish "me first" player. I know this cuz I read it on the BY LOL.

Kidding and teasing anyone who implied that. I guess one needs to take each game as it comes. Azzi's shot was off yesterday and she wen 2-7 or something. Clark hit everything and then some scoring 30 points or so. Today, Fudd is 5-5, 13 points, and Clark has 8 assists. In the first half.

It's actually nice to see the full display of skills for each of these kids. USA basketball future is in very good hands based on the current talent level of elite American hoopsters!

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Halftime. Some stats:
  • Azzi Fudd: 13 pts on perfect shooting (2-2 from two, 3-3 from three). +20
  • Caitlin Clark, 6 pts (2-5 from three), 8 assists, 4 rebounds +28
  • Sonia Citron, 8 pts (6 of 6 from line. Only U.S. Player to go to line), 5 assistst, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks. +31
  • Lauren Betts. 0 points, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks +17

On to 2nd half...

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Halftime. Some stats:
  • Azzi Fudd: 13 pts on perfect shooting (2-2 from two, 3-3 from three). +20
  • Caitlin Clark, 6 pts (2-5 from three), 8 assists, 4 rebounds +28
  • Sonia Citron, 8 pts (6 of 6 from line. Only U.S. Player to go to line), 5 assistst, 3 rebounds, 2 blocks. +31
  • Lauren Betts. 0 points, 10 rebounds, 3 blocks +17

On to 2nd half...
Clearly, Azzi did ask Paige for 'shooting' advice. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
They only list Azzi as having 5 assists and she should have at least 7. In Q3, she had a great pass to Citron I think for a semi-fast break layup that was not counted (she had 4 at the time per the box score), then she h ad a great feed to a post player who took one dribble and scored, then a great pass to one of her teammates who nailed a 3 point shot. And now she only has 5 assists.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
They only list Azzi as having 5 assists and she should have at least 7. In Q3, she had a great pass to Citron I think for a semi-fast break layup that was not counted (she had 4 at the time per the box score), then she h ad a great feed to a post player who took one dribble and scored, then a great pass to one of her teammates who nailed a 3 point shot. And now she only has 5 assists.Io
I thought it was a tad low, too. She and Citron were zipping the ball all over the court in the third quarter.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
USA beats Egypt by 61. Azzi’s stat line: 22 minutes, 18 pts on 7/8 (4/5), 3 rbs, 5 ast, 3 stls. Amari: 10 minutes, 6pts on 3/3, 3 rbs, 1 ast.

I would also add that Azzi is the most disciplined and poised USA guard, and has really taken over much of the responsibility for running the offense when she’s on the court.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
USA beats Egypt by 61. Azzi’s stat line: 22 minutes, 18 pts on 7/8 (4/5), 3 rbs, 5 ast, 3 stls. Amari: 10 minutes, 6pts on 3/3, 3 rbs, 1 ast.

I would also add that Azzi is the most disciplined and poised USA guard, and has really taken over much of the responsibility for running the offense when she’s on the court.
Pfft. I heard it through the grapevine from a friend who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so therefore is a WCBB expert. Azzi is not as good as everyone thinks. :rolleyes: :p

Reaction Score

Amari finally shows she can play and is not as bad as lot of BYs here think ... :p

Reaction Score
Pfft. I heard it through the grapevine from a friend who stayed at a Holiday Inn Express, so therefore is a WCBB expert. Azzi is not as good as everyone thinks.
It only matters what her coaches and teammates think. Everyone else doesn’t count

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Amari finally shows she can play and is not as bad as lot of BYs here think ... :p
In her limited PT, Amari impressed me in several ways: she has really good hands, can finish around the basket, and has really nice awareness. While UConn is an exceptionally deep team, I expect Amari to earn some quality PT as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
this game is a wash for me, this was by far the worst team in the tournament I wouldn't put much stock into in it. On a side note can someone tell me what the hell is going on with Canada basketball? First they can't even make it out of the group stage in the Olympics and I couldn't believe this they lost BY 23 TO MALI? They need to start cleaning house there because there is no reason why they should be getting killed by countries that have nowhere near the resources they do.

victor64

retired Ohio teacher
Reaction Score
Other thoughts from the Egypt game.

Egypt was so overmatched that it was tough to tell if the US is progressing.

I loved the zone Close played in the second half. She was using the game for something she may need to use later. It is definitely something Geno does when he is routing Big East opponents.

34 assists. Just 13 turnovers. I think the ball movement is getting better.

I laugh at some of the negative comments directed at Clark. How do you tell arguably the best shooter presently in Hungary (maybe Azzi) not to shoot when she is wide open. She took 11 shots today and probably passed on 11 more. If and when they get in a close game, they will want Clark shooting.

Azzi is giving her team whatever they need from her. I really like how hard she works on defense.

Amari reminds me of Liv at a similar age. UConn needed to play Liv early. They can bring Amari along slowly. Would love to know how Piath and Amari did against each other if they had a chance to scrimmage.

I am struck how many reaching in fouls that are committed and not called. Noticed in all three games.

Reaction Score
While Egypt is not a good measure of anything for these players, there were some things that were comforting from UConn's standpoint:

1) Azzi is finally looking like the player she has been hyped to be. Beautiful shooting stroke, good body control, excellent court awareness to know where her teammates are both on offense and defense, hard to disrupt her momentum when making a move on offense.....she just needs to develop a little more quickness of feet and better use of hands on defense. She is not going to be Nika on defense but if Azzi learns a few tricks from her, all the better.

2) Seeing more of Amari is nice. It is true that bigs take longer to develop but I like where she is starting from. Good body control and good court awareness. Solid skills, good hands and, it appears, more offensive repertory around the basket than Liv as a freshman. I don't think it will take as long as it did Liv to learn to play effectively in the low block. Despite the depth of the UConn team this year, I think she will finish the year in a better place than Liv did her freshman year. Part of the reason is the overmatched teams in the Big East - lots of playing time for the reserves.

3) Both are unselfish.

Wondering.....who is that shorter guard Johnson?.....some impressive 3pt shooting from her (though she missed a layup). Also, surprising how those Egyptian girls play - better than I expected - wonder where they learned to play the game.

As to who would be the roadblocks in UConn's path to the NC2022, most likely Stanford and South Carolina. For Stanford, it has less to do with adding Betts than their having finally succeeded after so many close tries to win the NC during that long drought. That should give them more confidence. Adding Betts & company reinforces that.

As for UConn, the only foreseeable element in the team's arsenal that may be lacking a little bit is overall team speed to turn them into a smothering full court pressure defense. Going to be a fun year following them.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Other thoughts from the Egypt game.

Egypt was so overmatched that it was tough to tell if the US is progressing.

I loved the zone Close played in the second half. She was using the game for something she may need to use later. It is definitely something Geno does when he is routing Big East opponents.

34 assists. Just 13 turnovers. I think the ball movement is getting better.

I laugh at some of the negative comments directed at Clark. How do you tell arguably the best shooter presently in Hungary (maybe Azzi) not to shoot when she is wide open. She took 11 shots today and probably passed on 11 more. If and when they get in a close game, they will want Clark shooting.

Azzi is giving her team whatever they need from her. I really like how hard she works on defense.

Amari reminds me of Liv at a similar age. UConn needed to play Liv early. They can bring Amari along slowly. Would love to know how Piath and Amari did against each other if they had a chance to scrimmage.

I am struck how many reaching in fouls that are committed and not called. Noticed in all three games.
I only question the speed Caitlin takes her shots in the shot clock and shooting tough shots off the dribble when not needed when she has a slew of options around her. Today, she was much better (i.e to my liking) and actually felt she consciously wanted to get others involved more (instead of just racking up assists as a byproduct of being doubled or hedged and passing out ) which she is more than capable of.

In any event, I just love the style of Paige and Azzi. Just so UConn. We are very lucky.

Reaction Score
Who is a TN recruit in the U19 team?
The entire Egyptian starting 5. Lol I crack myself up!
1628634589774.gif

Reaction Score
As to who would be the roadblocks in UConn's path to the NC2022, most likely Stanford and South Carolina. For Stanford, it has less to do with adding Betts than their having finally succeeded after so many close tries to win the NC during that long drought. That should give them more confidence. Adding Betts & company reinforces that.
Betts is a junior. Can't help Stanford this year unless they allow H/S kids just like last year.

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
While Egypt is not a good measure of anything for these players, there were some things that were comforting from UConn's standpoint:

1) Azzi is finally looking like the player she has been hyped to be. Beautiful shooting stroke, good body control, excellent court awareness to know where her teammates are both on offense and defense, hard to disrupt her momentum when making a move on offense.....she just needs to develop a little more quickness of feet and better use of hands on defense. She is not going to be Nika on defense but if Azzi learns a few tricks from her, all the better.

2) Seeing more of Amari is nice. It is true that bigs take longer to develop but I like where she is starting from. Good body control and good court awareness. Solid skills, good hands and, it appears, more offensive repertory around the basket than Liv as a freshman. I don't think it will take as long as it did Liv to learn to play effectively in the low block. Despite the depth of the UConn team this year, I think she will finish the year in a better place than Liv did her freshman year. Part of the reason is the overmatched teams in the Big East - lots of playing time for the reserves.

3) Both are unselfish.

Wondering.....who is that shorter guard Johnson?.....some impressive 3pt shooting from her (though she missed a layup). Also, surprising how those Egyptian girls play - better than I expected - wonder where they learned to play the game.

As for UConn, the only foreseeable element in the team's arsenal that may be lacking a little bit is overall team speed to turn them into a smothering full court pressure defense. Going to be a fun year following them.

Johnson is Diamond Johnson, who played her freshman year at RU and has transferred to NC State. She's (quietly) averaging double digits for the team, and doing what she does best: make shots.

Reaction Score
this game is a wash for me, this was by far the worst team in the tournament I wouldn't put much stock into in it. On a side note can someone tell me what the hell is going on with Canada basketball? First they can't even make it out of the group stage in the Olympics and I couldn't believe this they lost BY 23 TO MALI? They need to start cleaning house there because there is no reason why they should be getting killed by countries that have nowhere near the resources they do.

It will be interesting to see what happens after the tournament. As a fan, I'm struggling to comprehend it myself. There's a lot of great talent now and coming up.

On paper, these team rosters look like they should be competitive. Medal winning, debatable, but top 5 in the world, definitely possible.

Trust me, a lot of people here are wondering the same thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom