OBrien interview | The Boneyard

OBrien interview

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Says met with kids this am. Says players are focused on staying together but doesn't expect everyone to stay.

Whole thing smacks of "save PSU football at all costs".

Reaction Score
I guess I don't expect there is much else he can do...but I also suspect that having only 65 scholarship players for the next four years is going to make that very difficult. As I understand it now, they can have what they can have today, but going forward starting next season they are limited to 15 recruits and 65 scholarship players. They might make it through this season reasonably well, but the next few will be a struggle.

Reaction Score
Says met with kids this am. Says players are focused on staying together but doesn't expect everyone to stay.

Whole thing smacks of "save PSU football at all costs".
He promised them TV games and 105,000 fans in the seats. According to O'B, that is more than will attend any bowl game.

The culture of PSU seems to have remained intact. Which is why the death penalty was needed.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
Yeah I saw somewhere that O'brien was politicking (or trying to) with the current PSU administration to take whatever sanctions as long as they didn't involve TV broadcast. I think his spiel to recruits will be along the lines of "We know how to get you ready for the NFL, and you'll still be seen by scouts and your family on TV. And if we pull off some upset wins it'll boost your profile further."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Yes, he should say, "Guys, the NCAA wants us to lose games, so despite being paid a lot of money to do just the opposite, I'm not going to coach you guys anymore. In fact, why doesn't everyone leave practice right now and go take a nap. Report back here a 6 for dinner of cupcakes and sticks of butter. The NCAA doesn't want us in shape since some of you guys are pretty good athletes."

Perhaps some of you should find something else to follow besides college sports.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
He promised them TV games and 105,000 fans in the seats. According to O'B, that is more than will attend any bowl game.

The culture of PSU seems to have remained intact. Which is why the death penalty was needed.

For all the punishments PSU received, I was surprised there wasn't a TV ban to go with it.

NCAA definitely was going for an "out of sight, out of mind" banishment for PSU.

Reaction Score
Yes, he should say, "Guys, the NCAA wants us to lose games, so despite being paid a lot of money to do just the opposite, I'm not going to coach you guys anymore. In fact, why doesn't everyone leave practice right now and go take a nap. Report back here a 6 for dinner of cupcakes and sticks of butter. The NCAA doesn't want us in shape since some of you guys are pretty good athletes."

Perhaps some of you should find something else to follow besides college sports.

I'm with Subba here. What the heck do you expect O'Brien to do? Neither he, nor any of the players had anything to do with this.

He's trying to keep his team together and win games. Oh the outrage!!!!!!

Reaction Score
I'm with Subba here. What the heck do you expect O'Brien to do? Neither he, nor any of the players had anything to do with this.

No I don't expect anything different. I just hope that it really serves as a wake up call that there are limits to how far you should go for a football program. I just don't know if that message is getting to PSU or anyone else for that matter.

Reaction Score
I don't think the NCAA has any, or certainly not much power to enforce a tv ban any more. That pretty much rests with the conferences...but while I do think that a death penalty, or something close to one(eg only conference games for 3 years or something similar), was warranted, since the program was allowed to continue O'Brien is still the coach and he will do what he needs to do to make his team as competitive as possible...I'm sure he is trying to firm up recruits, and convince current players to stay and do all the things he can to be successful...Wouldn't expect anything less...Since UConn can't play for the national championship this year, do you expect Calhoun to tell his players to take the season off? Pretty much the same perspective if your the coach.

Reaction Score
No I don't expect anything different. I just hope that it really serves as a wake up call that there are limits to how far you should go for a football program. I just don't know if that message is getting to PSU or anyone else for that matter.

Of course they didn't get the message. We knew this when they cleaned house with the staff except for their ace recruiter. Why is Larry Johnson Sr. still coaching there? That's why it was imperative that along with these sanctions, they should've shut the program down for a year or two.

Look at the looks on the faces of the students in the HUB watching the sanctions being announced live. Do you think they had those looks on their faces when the Freeh report came out?

Reaction Score

No but the entire existing support structure has everything to do with it. Which is why it needed to be dismantled. The save the program at any cost mentality is still there. The circle the wagons culture is being empowered.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score

With all clamor it's difficult to remember that the football program didn't do anything wrong. It's was university leaders that turned a blind eye. It is unclear if they were motivated by image, cash, prestige, self interest, ignorance, fear, or a mixture of some or all of the above. It is why I though the NCAA was out of its depth. The FB program was the media hook that separates this case from other abuse cases.

Maybe to Paterno, Curley, Schultz, and Spanier, FB was the university but that's on them and it is not a view shared by everyone.

Reaction Score
For all the punishments PSU received, I was surprised there wasn't a TV ban to go with it.

NCAA definitely was going for an "out of sight, out of mind" banishment for PSU.

The only thing I can think of, in terms of TV, is that it makes no sense to assess a big fine if the entity being fined is stripped of all sources necessary to pay the fine. Otherwise, it's the Treaty of Versailles and does nothing for the charities. Remember, PSU's agreement with the NCAA prohibits the school from taking money from (or away from) any other athletic program. It's gotta come from FB, or the academic side, and it's all gotta go to outside child protection charities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom