O.T.: N.Y. State sanctions cheerleading... | The Boneyard

O.T.: N.Y. State sanctions cheerleading...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
New York State has sanctioned cheerleading, making it an official sport. It is the 31st State to do so. Rick Wolf, on his Sunday WFAN broadcast, noted that Connecticut & New Jersey have yet to do so. Today's point to ponder: Should Connecticut follow suit, what are the implications at UConn? Will traditional cheerleading be reinstated & the "Spirit Squad" disbanded? Will there be a return of pyramids & acrobatic cheerleader tosses on the sidelines? What say you?

Reaction Score
The cheerleading situation at UCONN is sad. Cheerleading is very strenuous and requires tremendous skill, practice and conditioning when done at a high level. There is a good competitive cheerleading scene in most states now, Connecticut included. There are a lot of talented girls on those teams that would love to cheer in college but have no outlet. These girls can put on a show that would keep many in their seats at halftime and totally enhance the game experience. They can also give little girls at the football games something to be excited about. Half the fun of being a kid at any sporting event is imagining yourself out there. UConn should pursue excellence in everything it does and dumbing down cheerleading was more sexist than not dumbing it down. "Cheerleading is for everybody" says UCONN. Thanks for reinventing the wheel and breaking yet another old tradition. Time to bring it back better than ever and play like the big boys do in every facet of our athletic department. I know, I know "who cares, it's cheerleading". Well, as the father of a competitive cheerleader that has excelled at it, I care. She is confident, fit, happy and has gained a world of ability both physically and artistically. She is stronger and healthier than ever, has made lasting friendships and become a great dancer too. Cheerleading is a good thing. More importantly for us sports fans, cheerleading is something big time athletic programs embrace. We need to follow suit and eliminate each and every negative aspect of our athletic department. Anyone walking into the Rent needs to see what they see at Florida or Ohio State, not a subpar imitation that pays no attention to detail. Cheerleaders, music, bands, dance team, tailgating and an obvious sea of blue or white. These things need to happen so that the subconscious of fans across the country begins to accept and respect our brand. The devil is always in the details.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If you think our squad is sad look at Rutgers'. At the hoops game down there I was quite alarmed to see they had a squad of 4 girls and one dude who all looked like they would have rather been anywhere else. They better step that up in the B1G.

Reaction Score
My daughter was in competitive cheerleading for years. Most of them take on a lot of gymnastics training just to help them perform many of the stunts they do. It's taken very seriously and many time I've seen it result in some pretty bad injuries. I believe a big issue at hand with recognizing it as a sport is one of insurance coverage, which is greatly needed.

Reaction Score
My daughter is also in competitive Cheerleading. I totally agree with Hoophound. Cheerleading is something BIG TIME ATHLETIC PROGRAMS embrace. If we want to get into the BIG we need to play like the big boys do. UCONN Cheerling needs to improve!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom