(O.T.) Army Navy game | The Boneyard

(O.T.) Army Navy game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sure hope some of you folks got to watch this historic rivalry close another stirring page today. Those of you
who have served our nation and those of you who have not would have been quite proud. Just studying the faces of those young men and women in the Corp and Brigade gave me such a feeling of security for our future. Bless you who help keep us safe.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Im not a huge fan of option football, but I always watch the pregame ... some of the 1st quarter...and then the 4th quarter and postgame.

Reaction Score
still on my bucket list to see a live Army-Navy game. served with players and commanded quite a few who played for Army. Excellent soldiers.

Reaction Score
As far as going pro, then the answer would be yes.
There have been military academy graduates who have been allowed to delay their military obligation to pursue postgraduate study.
Allowing professional caliber graduates to go pro is a win-win. Great publicity and a great recruiting tool.

Reaction Score
Im not a huge fan of option football, but I always watch the pregame ... some of the 1st quarter...and then the 4th quarter and postgame.

TRIAD: There was some programming related to your post here on CBSSN on both Fri and Sat.. Sat was TERRIFIC as it showed the entire March On. Perhaps one of our techie folks would help you find it???
Wish I could but out of my depth. Think you'd love it.

Reaction Score
still on my bucket list to see a live Army-Navy game. served with players and commanded quite a few who played for Army. Excellent soldiers.
BRAMO: sounds great. Do get to a game. Have seem a few in person. Even have an old black and white photo taken by my dad as a Pinkerton Detective at one of the games he worked to supplement his school teacher salary in the Thirties. Shows the mule and goat and cheerleaders for both teams.

Reaction Score
There have been military academy graduates who have been allowed to delay their military obligation to pursue postgraduate study.
Allowing professional caliber graduates to go pro is a win-win. Great publicity and a great recruiting tool.
If they pay back their tuition plus, then I’m ok with it. We invest a lot in all of them.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I believe that it should only be open for athletes. Most of them would be staying and going to do their six years of mandatory service, while a limited few would be able to go pro. David (The Admiral) Robinson was allowed to go pro and do reserve duty during the off season and one weekend a month during the season for six years. The other students at the military academies should be compelled for service. If any of them stand out in certain fields that may help the military in such as science, aerospace, etc. they can be used in those fields by the military such as Tank-Automotive Command, Army Research facility, Skunk works at Groom Lake (Area 51), White Sands, etc., etc.,.

Reaction Score
Sure hope some of you folks got to watch this historic rivalry close another stirring page today. Those of you
who have served our nation and those of you who have not would have been quite proud. Just studying the faces of those young men and women in the Corp and Brigade gave me such a feeling of security for our future. Bless you who help keep us safe.
I've watched that game since TV started showing it. Prior to that the news reels of it. Army AND NAVY both have had a supreme share of great players. To me the pride both services wear those FB uniforms fills me with pride. Did you notice the Marine Corp emblem on the NAVY uniforms? That's @winlots

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Thanks for sharing.

Reaction Score
I believe that it should only be open for athletes. Most of them would be staying and going to do their six years of mandatory service, while a limited few would be able to go pro. David (The Admiral) Robinson was allowed to go pro and do reserve duty during the off season and one weekend a month during the season for six years. The other students at the military academies should be compelled for service. If any of them stand out in certain fields that may help the military in such as science, aerospace, etc. they can be used in those fields by the military such as Tank-Automotive Command, Army Research facility, Skunk works at Groom Lake (Area 51), White Sands, etc., etc.,.
I'm a bit between you and Uconn68 on this. One side says: They got a great education at Government/Taxpayer expense they should not be allowed to opt out without some payback. Be it money or Service. I'd choose service because they accepted being Military when they accepted the Academies.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
There have been military academy graduates who have been allowed to delay their military obligation to pursue postgraduate study. Allowing professional caliber graduates to go pro is a win-win. Great publicity and a great recruiting tool.
I am personally opposed to to deferral or reduction of service for academy graduates if the opportunity to play professional sports is the basis. The Academy does not need the publicity. An athlete who chooses to enter a service academy with a professional sports career in mind is making a foolish choice. The imperative word here is must always be "service". Each year the Academies graduates men and women that are extremely talented in many professional fields. Where would one begin to draw the line of deferral? Does that talented violinist get a deferral to go pursue a music career? Does that extremely talented academy graduate & software developer get a deferral to go make his fortune in the civilian sector?

Last edited:

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I'm a bit between you and Uconn68 on this. One side says: They got a great education at Government/Taxpayer expense they should not be allowed to opt out without some payback. Be it money or Service. I'd choose service because they accepted being Military when they accepted the Academies.
Well they are not "opting out". They are deferring their service til later.

I am personally opposed to to deferral or reduction of service for academy graduates if the opportunity to play professional sports is the basis. The Academy does not need the publicity. An athlete who chooses to enter a service academy with a professional sports career in mind is making a foolish choice. The imperative word here is must always be "service". Each year the Academies graduates men and women that are extremely talented in many professional fields. Where would one begin to draw the line of deferral. Does that talented violinist get a deferral to go pursue a music career? Does that extremely talented academy graduate & software developer get a deferral to go make his fortune in the civilian sector?
A couple things, the military can use a violinist or a software engineer IN the military. But they really don't have much use for a noseguard. And of course the bigger thing is that violinist/software engineer can make plenty of money after they get out. In fact they will be making most of their money later in life, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's even into their 70's if they choose. That noseguard has about a 6-10 year window to make money in their specialty.

In reality, this is going to affect a very small amount of people.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
A couple things, the military can use a violinist or a software engineer IN the military. But they really don't have much use for a noseguard. And of course the bigger thing is that violinist/software engineer can make plenty of money after they get out. In fact they will be making most of their money later in life, 30's, 40's, 50's, 60's even into their 70's if they choose. That noseguard has about a 6-10 year window to make money in their specialty.
An academy commitment is 5 years which is compatible ( although not ideal) with a 6-10 year window to make money as NFL players or other professional leagues. Two examples would be Roger Staubach and Alejandro Villanueva. Academy graduates are all being trained to command and lead troops. My specific examples of the S/W developer and the violinist were intended to point out that Academy graduates are all talented in some other field besides what they are being primarily trained to do. You are correct that we are talking about extremely few (less than 1 every 2 years) that are professionally sports related. However most (perhaps all) service academy graduates have and opportunity to make more money in the civilian sector than their military paychecks will command upon graduation and this last up until the time they are promoted to field grade (O4). IMO we (me included) value sports too much in society and there is no need to apply this value to the service academies.
Perhaps this is a better example; One of my all-time favorite WCBB players was Kelsey Minato of Army. I was torn in 2016 when Kelsey sought and received permission to defer/delay service to tryout for the San Antonio of the WNBA. I wanted Kelsey to make the WNBA. Kelsey did not make the WNBA but she was certainly good enough to play and earn more than her Army salary overseas playing basketball. Where does the Army draw the line, not just for Kelsey's but for any talented classmate who has an opportunity to defer/delay service to make money than their military paychecks?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
An academy commitment is 5 years which is compatible ( although not ideal) with a 6-10 year window to make money as NFL players or other professional leagues.
No, just no.

However most (perhaps all) service academy graduates have and opportunity to make more money in the civilian sector than their military paychecks will command upon graduation and this last up until the time they are promoted to field grade (O4).
One, we are talking about magnitudes here. A hot shot engineer, straight out of college might get, if lucky, $100,000. A hot shot NFL player is gonna make millions. Secondly, after 6-10 years, that NFL player's earnings go to $0. While the hotshot engineers earnings keep increasing for 30-40 years.

Reaction Score

There in is part of the RUB! It affects a tiny number of USA Academy personnel. Selectively offering something not available to all is not good for morale.
Nose guards with an Engineering training/education are desirable in the Army that too translate to (not always) to a nice job in Development, QA, design. The Feds have a real need in that area.
l

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
And with that we'll end this thread. A topic suited for another board.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom