NY Times on Tina and the Lib | The Boneyard

NY Times on Tina and the Lib

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Liberty’s New Acquisition Is Glad to Be Back Home
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/05/12/s...ition-is-glad-to-be-back-home.html?ref=sports

Moments before the Connecticut Sun made the first overall selection in theW.N.B.A. draft last month, broadcasters revealed to the crowd at Mohegan Sun Arena that the team had reportedly agreed to trade the former No. 1 pick Tina Charles to the Liberty.

Fans who earlier cheered in anticipation of pairing a player like Chiney Ogwumike with Charles sat stunned.

Reaction Score
Good article, thanks. So let's see: you have two parties that disagree in their objectives/goals. One party trashes the other in public, the other party does not. Pretty clear Tina Charles is the class act here. I also suspect both parties are better for the change.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Good article, thanks. So let's see: you have two parties that disagree in their objectives/goals. One party trashes the other in public, the other party does not. Pretty clear Tina Charles is the class act here. I also suspect both parties are better for the change.

?????? All I read was the Sun describing events as they saw them come to pass. Sure, their description of events does not flatter or exonerate Charles, yet I read nothing from them that negatively trashed Charles or her character personally. Am I missing something here? Please quote what you consider to be trashing. I'm not a Sun apologist, I don't follow the WNBA. I have no problem with either how events transpired for Charles, nor the Sun describing those events. Both parties did what they had to do. Yet the way people go from describing events to trashing a person in this context is bizarre, unless I'm missing something.

Reaction Score
Can you imagine the outcry from the CT Sun fan base if the management had remained silent as to why she was traded? I have to agree that the Sun merely told the sequence of events as they saw them. As the saying goes, there's always three sides to every story: Their side, our side and the truth.

Reaction Score
?????? All I read was the Sun describing events as they saw them come to pass. Sure, their description of events does not flatter or exonerate Charles, yet I read nothing from them that negatively trashed Charles or her character personally. Am I missing something here? Please quote what you consider to be trashing. I'm not a Sun apologist, I don't follow the WNBA. I have no problem with either how events transpired for Charles, nor the Sun describing those events. Both parties did what they had to do. Yet the way people go from describing events to trashing a person in this context is bizarre, unless I'm missing something.

Hey digger foot...totally get your point if you just read the NY Times link. Here is a link to a Courant article that typifies the reporting in mid April. Statements like: "Winning wasn't important to her"; "We didn't have good chemistry last year," Donovan said. "So it's not like I blew up good chemistry. We had poor leadership, poor chemistry, and frankly, our work ethic was not where it needs to be."; and "We're not going to be held hostage by anybody,". Tina never said anything negative about the Sun publicly....I can't say the same for Donovan or general manager Sienk0. In my opinion, there was no need to make those statements publicly, they could have said Tina was not happy here, wanted to be in her hometown, we will miss her and wish her well. Like I said before, I think both sides ended up with scenarios/players that are good for both.

Reaction Score
"Winning wasn't importahatnt to her"; "We didn't have good chemistry last year," Donovan said. "So it's not like I blew up good chemistry. We had poor leadership, poor chemistry, and frankly, our work ethic was not where it needs to be."; and "We're not going to be held hostage by anybody,". Tina never said anything negative about the Sun publicly....I can't say the same for Donovan or general manager Sienk0. In my opinion, there was no need to make those statements publicly, they could have said Tina was not happy here, wanted to be in her hometown, we will miss her and wish her well. Like I said before, I think both sides ended up with scenarios/players that are good for both.[/quote]

Totally in agreement. I have a right to quit my job after giving the said notice- regardless of the offer and counter-offers thrown my way. (If the Secretary of Educ leaves tomorrow to be the President of UCLA do we trash them? Some will be happy while others a little disappointed. Tina ha given the state of Conn some very good years, and she would now like to moveon. What could the matter be? Beyond us being selfish and thinking that she is here until we are ready to discard her. Look at the guard- Katie Doughlas, she was booted out of Indian after having given her all.

Reaction Score
I am glad Tina took the high road and refuses to blame the Sun for anything.

Reaction Score
I am glad Tina took the high road and refuses to blame the Sun for anything.
She got what she wanted and was in the driver's seat so there was no need to say anything.

Reaction Score
Both Donovan and Sienko of The CT SUN also trashed Kara Lawson when they traded her to Washington! I e-mailed Sieko that is why Donovan is a lousy person & coach! She could have just stated thanking Kara for her time with the Sun and wishing her the best but she pulled that she didn't want to be there, poor leadership, poor chemistry! Kara was hurt most of last season, then her Dad had a major heart attack and since she couldn't play she wanted to go to VA and help to take care of him! Donovan wanted her to stay in CT!
The word out from the players is that Donovan has the longest practices in the WNBA and it takes its toll on the players getting worn out & injured! That's what started the bad karma on the team + Mike T. was fired with Donovan brought in!

Reaction Score
I don't see why WNBA coaches should have long practices. These women play all year and should already be what they're going to be by the time they get drafted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom