OT: - ny international auto show 2022 | The Boneyard

OT: ny international auto show 2022

Reaction Score
Marketing people seem obsessed with all electric. While I'm not in the market for a new car, I'd like to see more plug-in hybrids. Given the short hops I make - with the occasional road trip - Plug-in would seem ideal. That said, the "premium" one has to pay to be trendy, can still buy a LOT of gas.

Reaction Score
Personally I've had both a Honda Accord Hybrid and my current Tesla Y and I would never get a hybrid again. YMMV.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Marketing people seem obsessed with all electric. While I'm not in the market for a new car, I'd like to see more plug-in hybrids. Given the short hops I make - with the occasional road trip - Plug-in would seem ideal. That said, the "premium" one has to pay to be trendy, can still buy a LOT of gas.
I previously had a PHEV and now I drive a full BEV. I'll never buy anything besides a BEV again. A couple of caveats, though - either install a charging station at home or have one conveniently accessible. If you drive long distances, frequently, I'd recommend a PHEV. I drive about 600 miles a month and it costs about $17 in home charging for that. Gas would be probably 5 times as much but the real reason to drive an EV is because they're better for the environment than an ICE vehicle. Using public transportation/walking/biking is much better for the environment than driving any car, but if that's not possible, an EV is a better choice.

Reaction Score
I previously had a PHEV and now I drive a full BEV. I'll never buy anything besides a BEV again. A couple of caveats, though - either install a charging station at home or have one conveniently accessible. If you drive long distances, frequently, I'd recommend a PHEV. I drive about 600 miles a month and it costs about $17 in home charging for that. Gas would be probably 5 times as much but the real reason to drive an EV is because they're better for the environment than an ICE vehicle. Using public transportation/walking/biking is much better for the environment than driving any car, but if that's not possible, an EV is a better choice.
600 miles on $17 is a better than my experience with the 2019 Kia Niro EV that we have. I get about 4 miles per kWh, and the electric rate in our part of NH is about 17 cents per kWh. This is about 24 miles for 1 dollar of fuel (electricity). So for me, to get 600 miles, it costs $25. This is still much better than the most efficient gas engine vehicles- I’m getting the equivalent of 96 mpg with gas at $4 per gallon. EVs don’t need oil to lubricate gas engines, so no oil changes ever. It produces ZERO pollution when driving. There are lots of other pluses too, but it isn’t suited for long trips, recharging stations aren’t available enough and it takes too long. I love our car, but I would like a newer one that has faster re-charging (get an EV that has 800 volt recharging, it’s much faster) and longer range. But EVs are expensive too, some ridiculously so. It will be fun to see how the future unfolds with these & how new technology shapes the industry.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
My power is a little over 11 cents per kWh, so that's where the difference occurs. I drive a 2020 Chevy Bolt, which was supposed to be a short term driver until the VW Buzz was available. Now that the Buzz is further off, I'm looking at Polestar 2, Hyundai Ioniq 5, Genesis, EV60 and Audi Q4 E-tron. We'll see if the chip situation improves soon.

Reaction Score
Most of my charging is done at home also @10.5 cents/KWH (about$7 for a full charge. Like most new BEV drivers I originally worried about range but not anymore. It has never been a problem. Luckily the Tesla Supercharger network is reliable and found all over the country. I took a drive to Cape Cod (about 550 miles from my home and stopped twice for restroom breaks (I'm old) and charged while attending to business. Longest stop was 17 minutes and I arrived about 10 minutes later than with my hybrid mostly because traffic was heavier. No more range anxiety. Charging on the road is more expensive as it coast me $17 each way.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Most of my charging is done at home also @10.5 cents/KWH (about$7 for a full charge. Like most new BEV drivers I originally worried about range but not anymore. It has never been a problem. Luckily the Tesla Supercharger network is reliable and found all over the country. I took a drive to Cape Cod (about 550 miles from my home and stopped twice for restroom breaks (I'm old) and charged while attending to business. Longest stop was 17 minutes and I arrived about 10 minutes later than with my hybrid mostly because traffic was heavier. No more range anxiety. Charging on the road is more expensive as it coast me $17 each way
Most of my driving is on the east coast, so range anxiety is minor. If I take a trip, I stop and charge while I have lunch or dinner and all is good.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom