Number 4 in the Coaches Poll | The Boneyard

Number 4 in the Coaches Poll

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The good news is that Stanford dropped 2 spots after their loss at home to Oregon last night. Hoping for similar stumbles from both MD & Louisville, which would pretty much assure UConn a spot in the Ft Wayne Region, assuming the Huskies run the table in the AAC.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Refresh my memory...Who is Nuff?

Not sure about Nuff..... But I know who Sho'Nuff is.... could be related.

Sho_nuff-The-Shogun-of-Harlem-Julius-Carry.jpg

Reaction Score
No one else has played more than one of the three.

This was previously discussed here:
Centerstream:
I'm sure you're aware of one team that scheduled all 3 ;). It turns out, as they said in Star Wars, there is another: Washington State. For UConn, all three were non-conference. For Washington St, Oregon was a conference game and the other two were self-inflicted.

The teams that scheduled two of them are Georgia (Baylor [non-conference] and South Carolina), Indiana (Baylor and South Carolina [both non-conference]), Kansas St (Baylor and Oregon [non-conference]) and Oklahoma St (Baylor and Oregon [non-conference]).

Reaction Score
The good news is that Stanford dropped 2 spots after their loss at home to Oregon last night. Hoping for similar stumbles from both MD & Louisville, which would pretty much assure UConn a spot in the Ft Wayne Region, assuming the Huskies run the table in the AAC.
And also assuming there is a balanced, fair and impartial decision made by the Selection Committee and that an "ABC" ( Anybody But Connecticut) mentality doesn't prevail.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score

Should happen Old Dude but I don't trust the committee to do the right thing.

Reaction Score
Not sure about Nuff..... But I know who Sho'Nuff is.... could be related.

View attachment 51213
I love that movie! The Last Dragon.... the girl was hot! Prince's old gf. Apollonia or something like that. I've been corrected... it was Vanity!
And congrats on Duke's recent resurgence.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I think it's going to take more than just running the table, we'll have to do it convincingly and pass the eye test. Just scraping by, or dominating one quarter out of four isn't likely to serve us very much in the committee's eyes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
And also assuming there is a balanced, fair and impartial decision made by the Selection Committee and that an "ABC" ( Anybody But Connecticut) mentality doesn't prevail.
Folks around here have complained extensively about the NCAA, but the Selection Committee is a much different animal, made up of a broad spectrum of individuals who work really hard to get it right. Sure there are complaints, but I have never seen any indication of a broad “anti-UConn” bias from the Selection Committee.

Last year, UConn was only a 2 seed in the Albany Region, with Louisville the 1 seed. Big deal! The Huskies were in the same place they would have been if they were a 1 seed playing Louisville who would have been a 2 seed.

The biggest complaints tend to revolve around the last 4 or so teams in, none of whom have the slightest chance of advancing much beyond the round of 32. Until Geno hangs up his coaching whistle, UConn WBB will never have to start worrying about being one of the last 4 teams into the Big Dance.

Last edited:

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score

If Northwestern wins today and goes on to win the Big Ten tournament, beating Iowa/Maryland along the way, they likely get priority there over UCONN. Stanford may have an outside shot too if they beat both AZ schools and win Pac 12 tournament. Still a lot of basketball to be played.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I think it's going to take more than just running the table, we'll have to do it convincingly and pass the eye test. Just scraping by, or dominating one quarter out of four isn't likely to serve us very much in the committee's eyes.
Right now the coaches have UConn at 4 and the AP has them at 5. MOV does not count in selection and seeding. Wins & losses count. The top 3 teams are likely set. UConn needs to be #4 or #5 overall to get a coveted spot in the Ft Wayne region.

Stanford will likely lose 1-3 more games, so they’re out imo. That leaves only MD & Louisville. If either the Terrapins or the Cardinals lose one game, UConn ends up in Ft Wayne, provided the Huskies win out, even if they struggle to win a game or two against AAC foes.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
If Northwestern wins today and goes on to win the Big Ten tournament, beating Iowa/Maryland along the way, they likely get priority there over UCONN. Stanford may have an outside shot too if they beat both AZ schools and win Pac 12 tournament. Still a lot of basketball to be played.
Don’t know about Northwestern jumping UConn, but the Stanford scenario is a possibility.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Did anyone notice that Charlie Creme revised his Bracketology overnight last night, and now has UConn as the #2 seed in South Carolina's region, rather than Oregon's? Northwestern has replaced NC State as a #2 seed following NC State's loss yesterday, and they now sit in Oregon's region.

He has Maryland as the #1 seed in Fort Wayne, with Louisville as the #2. There is some logic to this if one sees Louisville as the current top #2 seed. The S-curve affects the order of choice for #2 seed locations, but the actual location is based on geographic proximity. So Louisville gets the first "choice" of location among #2's, and goes to Fort Wayne as the geographically closest locale to its campus. UConn is then presumably the second strongest of the four #2's, and goes to the next closest regional, which is in Greenville. Stanford (presumably the third strongest #2) would go to Oregon based on geography except for the rule about separating members of the same conference, so it gets Baylor in Dallas, leaving Northwestern to go to Portland and face Oregon.

So it appears that the way for UConn to clinch the Fort Wayne slot is for UConn to run the table in the AAC while Louisville loses somewhere on its remaining schedule. Northwestern could make things easier by losing to Ohio State on the road tonight, but then beating Maryland (again) in the Big Ten Tournament. NW has already played Maryland twice and is 1-1.

Reaction Score
The streak of being in the Top Five in at least one of the two polls seems to be intact. When they dropped to #6 in the AP last week, they moved up to #5 in the Coaches and this week to #4.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Don’t know about Northwestern jumping UConn, but the Stanford scenario is a possibility.
They're 1 behind in Massey/RPI. They're another 3 loss team with their worst loss being DePaul. They would have quality wins over top 30 RPI Maryland (2x), Iowa, Duke, Indiana, Ohio State and Michigan 2x. My guess is they get the nod over UCONN if that pans out, but my guess is they drop another game.

Last edited:

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Someone is going to be unhappy. Every school but UNC, Arizona, and Kansas men think the NCAA is out to get them AND the Duke men per @donalddoowop (thanks)

Last edited:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

Everything I have at my disposal( tarot cards, Ouija Board, crystal ball, tea leaves, etc) says "NO WAY" Stanford wins the Pac-12 tournament. Oregon is not having it!! :confused: Stanford couldn't beat them at home with Ionescu tired and under the weather (her coach said she was ill during an interview), they're not going to beat them with her fresh and healthy on a neutral court in Las Vegas.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Folks around here have complained extensively about the NCAA, but the Selection Committee is a much different animal, made up of a broad spectrum of individuals who work really hard to get it right. Sure there are complaints, but I have never seen any indication of a broad “anti-UConn” bias from the Selection Committee.

Last year, UConn was only a 2 seed in the Albany Region, with Louisville the 1 seed. Big deal! The Huskies were in the same place they would have been if they were a 1 seed playing Louisville who would have been a 2 seed.

The biggest complaints tend to revolve around the last 4 or so teams in, none of whom have the slightest chance of advancing much beyond the round of 32. Until Geno hangs up his coaching whistle, UConn WBB will never have to start worrying about being one of the last 4 teams into the Big Dance.
No complaints about last year. Louisville beat us during the regular season and the location of the game favored us. I am concerned about a "Judgment Call" explanation of a decision where we clearly should be in Ft. Wayne and we are shipped elsewhere. Of, course, we have to be fair about it also and that to me means that we cannot expect any favors because we will not get any I assure you..

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Everything I have at my disposal( tarot cards, Ouija Board, crystal ball, tea leaves, etc) says "NO WAY" Stanford wins the Pac-12 tournament. Oregon is not having it!! :confused: Stanford couldn't beat them at home with Ionescu tired and under the weather (her coach said she was ill during an interview), they're not going to beat them with her fresh and healthy on a neutral court in Las Vegas.

They lost by 40 at home last year and won beat them in the tournament. Definitely not out of the question that they win.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom