NPOY awards... | The Boneyard

NPOY awards...

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Are they all done? Did Loyd win any of them (I think she won the Staley award, or did that go to Mitchell?)? Anyone have a list of who won all of them? Or a link where i could find all of them?

Reaction Score
I can't keep up with them, there are so many.
Could someone make up a chart?

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
Stewie has won the Wade, USBWA, Naismith, and AP. The Wooden is all that's pending, as far as I know. I guess there's the Honda award, too...

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
From an earlier thread, now way back on page 6, updated.

ESPN: Loyd (maybe second level, but is a new one given out)
WBCA-Wade: Stewart
AP: Stewart
Naismith: Stewart
USBWA: Stewart
Wooden: NA
Honda: NA

NCAA FF MOP: Stewart
Lieberman: Jefferson
NC Champion: UConn

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
LaChina Robinson thinks the wrong person got em. Course, she's entitled to think that, and it felt like Loyd was destined to get at least a few for a while.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Mitchell won the Dawn Staley award as the best guard. How she beat out Loyd is beyond me. I like Tiffany and think she deserved AP AA 1st team, but Loyd was a unanimous AP AA and got 15 of the 35 POY votes.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
What's the issue for LR? Jewell did get the one she earned, the 7th rate ESPN award. Robinson has been known for going over the top to get attention, and anyone would have to be on a Breaking Bad substance to think that after the Tourney that Loyd had that she showed up the voters who chose Stewie back whenever they voted.

And to bitchin' so publicly because her pick was not the one the majority of other voters chose is limited in the class department. Sorry, LR, but the Huskies did win again, disappointing as that may be for you.

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
Actually, Robinson has a lot of positive comments about the Huskies on her Twitter feed. She just seems to feel strongly about this award issue.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I think Jewell was the NPOY for November-January, but Stewie turned it on after getting benched. Meanwhile, Jewell "slumped" by her lofty standards. I think the AP voting of 20-15 was an accurate reflection of the full season. If one were to count the NCAA tourney, it could have been 25-10.

Reaction Score
Actually, Robinson has a lot of positive comments about the Huskies on her Twitter feed. She just seems to feel strongly about this award issue.

It's pretty damn bitter to me. Using words like "sad" -- and "You deserved it" from an announcer. Why does it have to be sad? Because she said so? We hear many announcers express a different opinion. But rarely do they sort of say "it's sad no one agrees with MY opinion for a player I'm CERTAIN should have won the award."

Her being nice about other UCONN issues doesn't make this less class/more bitter.

Reaction Score
Jewell got all the awards she earned, and Stewie got the ones she earned and the NC. I think the Staley award is the only one a serious argument could be made that it went to the wrong person, but since the best guard in the country wasn't even a finalist for it i don't think she should feel bad about that one either.

Reaction Score
Maybe Jewell can win the LaChina award since she didn't win the Dawn award.

Actually I doubt her leaving ND has anything to do with disappointment regarding the NC and the awards. Suspect she feels she has a better chance for a high (#1?) draft position now than next year. (Of course this would indicate advance thought and consideration, not a spur of the moment emotional decision. Probably the right decision for her.)

Reaction Score
Actually I doubt her leaving ND has anything to do with disappointment regarding the NC and the awards. Suspect she feels she has a better chance for a high (#1?) draft position now than next year. (Of course this would indicate advance thought and consideration, not a spur of the moment emotional decision. Probably the right decision for her.)
Your rationale, which has some logic to it, would also suggest that Jewell herself doesn't even believe she's the most valuable. Any Miss "All That and a Bag of Chips*" player wouldn't juggle her draft year to secure a better position because she would think herself the best no matter what year she declared.

* Don't misconstrue my hypothetical as my believing Loyd considers herself self-aggrandizingly for I don't.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
So a team wins its 3rd consecutive NC and she's going to have a lot of negative comments somehow? There's not many ways you can go negative unless you want to use that "bad dominance" theory, but all of the main WCBB writers know not to go there by now.

No, if you want to be catty about UConn right now, bitchin' about player awards is pretty much your only line of attack.

Reaction Score
Your rationale, which has some logic to it, would also suggest that Jewell herself doesn't even believe she's the most valuable. Any Miss "All That and a Bag of Chips*" player wouldn't juggle her draft year to secure a better position because she would think herself the best no matter what year she declared.

* Don't misconstrue my hypothetical as my believing Loyd considers herself self-aggrandizingly for I don't.
Interesting thoughts. Taking that a step further, then possibly whether she won the big awards or not could have been a premeditated trigger for whether she declared or not. In any case (IMHO), even if the actual decision didn't come until after the awards, or after the NC, she must have given it a lot of thought before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kemba123#

Top Bottom