NPOY 2017 not a lock for Kelsey Plum | Page 3 | The Boneyard

NPOY 2017 not a lock for Kelsey Plum

Reaction Score
I suspect that as things stand Plum will win without much trouble, much as I love how Lou is stepping up and has improved her game. I can't say I will feel terrible about it because Plum has the stats and credentials, and regardless of how you think her team is helping her by shamelessly showcasing her it is impossible to deny she does have very good game.
But I must pose one question: what if UCONN faces Washington in the FF, destroys them and buries Plum in the process, while KLS carries our team? What then? Or is it too late then?
Too late

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Well, if he said it, I hope he was being sarcastic, because it make no sense.
That has been around for many, many years. I heard it first regarding baseball in the 1960's.

Reaction Score
Am I the only one who considers that Lou night not even be the MVP of UConn? If she keeps up what she's been doing the last couple of games, quite likely, but so far I'd give the UConn MVP to Gabby.

I've said before about Plum, she's not only leading the nation in scoring by a considerable margin, she's also shooting 53% from the floor, 43% from behind the arc, she may have the first-ever NCAAW 50-40-90 season, and she averages 5+ assists a game. She has an assist-turnover ratio of 2, with the ball in her hands most of the time. She's not just leading the nation in scoring, she's having what may be a historic year.
Maybe I'm brain dead but what the heck is a 50-40-90 season????

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Plum. And it's not close.
To reiterate Vowelguy: Plum's full stats 31 ppg, 5.0 apg, 5.3 rpg, 2.0 steals per game. She does everything to help her team win and is not just a chucker. She has most definitely earned this award. KLS will get her chance if she continues her current evolution.

Reaction Score
If your starting a team who do you pick Gabby or Lou? Might take Pheese second to be honest. Just me but thought I would ask to make folks really think about it if you could only take one....
I'd go with KLS for what she's already done. What kind of impact did Gabby have as a freshman and sophomore? I think very little impact her first year and a nice impact, her second. This year is obviously great but Katie was quite good as a freshman, after starting slowly and is pretty amazing as a sophomore, showing more and more with every game. I can't even begin to imagine what she'll be when she's a junior. Geno himself suggested that KLS is only a 3 or 4 but may be a 10 by the time she leaves Storrs. Can you imagine what that may be?

Reaction Score
50% field goal pct from the floor, 40% from 3 pt line, 90% from free throw line
Thanks, I guess I am brain dead. I don't think KLS is very far from that at all after a somewhat slow start at the foul line, which was a bit shocking. I actually think she's feeling badly about her three point shooting which is close to 45 or 46 % but having seen Plum play a bit late in the season in highlights and parts of a game, I think KLS's stroke is appreciably better than Plum!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Thanks, I guess I am brain dead. I don't think KLS is very far from that at all after a somewhat slow start at the foul line, which was a bit shocking. I actually think she's feeling badly about her three point shooting which is close to 45 or 46 % but having seen Plum play a bit late in the season in highlights and parts of a game, I think KLS's stroke is appreciably better than Plum!
Lou is at .507/.468/.823. Only her FT shooting is below the 50/40/90 standard. And her 3-point shooting is well above it.

Kelsey is at .530/.433/.894. She is slightly under 90 (.900) on FTs as well.

Yes, the numbers are rather comparable.

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure that the best player on the best team is not an explicit criterion, though some do think along those lines. There have been many years when the best team was in fact the best team because it had the best player. That logic makes sense. In 2 of the years cited by Nan and Bajan, the leading scorer wasn't the best player--Angel and EDD--but they were probably the second best players. In other years, the leading scorer wasn't even a top-10 player.

I think that Kelsey Plum is the clear leader. Why? Her scoring is obviously a consideration, but not a guarantee. Scoring loads of points and also shooting .500, .400, and .900 is rare and noteworthy. She is carrying her team to a high national ranking. Plus, she is approaching the all-time (under NCAA) scoring record. That's a very impressive resume.

I was the one, in anther thread, who was speculating as to what would have to happen for Plum not to win. I think it would take a number of things. First, Kelsey would have to miss several games (God forbid!) or have a substantial slump. Another possibility would be for Washington to lose several games and drop in the rankings. Beyond that, someone else would need to make a big splash in some way. I am the one who said that, if Lou scores 30 pp. from here out, she will get consideration. I still expect Kelsey to win, but there are possible scenarios under which someone else does. Lou is playing her way to be very high in the NPOY voting, possibly #2.
\
Angel to me was the BE tourney's best player---I believe Maya got the top player award--
Angel put her team on her back throughout the tourney. I still remember this--and I wasn't much of an Angel fan. Her Attitude! When Jeff Walz got her that changed, a bit!.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Am I the only one who considers that Lou night not even be the MVP of UConn? If she keeps up what she's been doing the last couple of games, quite likely, but so far I'd give the UConn MVP to Gabby.
You are not the only one. MVP not the same as best player, also not the same as POY. This is what makes this debate so much fun.

If your starting a team who do you pick Gabby or Lou?
Lou because she's a sophomore.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Lou is at .507/.468/.823. Only her FT shooting is below the 50/40/90 standard. And her 3-point shooting is well above it.

Kelsey is at .530/.433/.894. She is slightly under 90 (.900) on FTs as well.

Yes, the numbers are rather comparable.
Those percentage numbers are comparable but the assists, rebounds and steals all favor Plum. Add in the fact Plum is the sole scoring focal point for her team, she has the significant edge. Wash is having a great year so this isn't a so-so team with stat padding going on. She's elevated this team to Elite 8 status (along with Osahor) vs. some of the other prior year scoring leaders. Again in all the other threads my admiration for KLS is second to none except for this vote of POY.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Those percentage numbers are comparable but the assists, rebounds and steals all favor Plum. Add in the fact Plum is the sole scoring focal point for her team, she has the significant edge. Wash is having a great year so this isn't a so-so team with stat padding going on. She's elevated this team to Elite 8 status (along with Osahor) vs. some of the other prior year scoring leaders. Again in all the other threads my admiration for KLS is second to none except for this vote of POY.
I was looking at only the 50/40/90 stats.

Reaction Score
Let's take a look at how history has voted for it :cool:

2015-16: NPOY - Breanna Stewart 19.4 PPG, NSL - Kelsey Plum 25.9 PPG
2014-15: NPOY - Breanna Stewart 17.6 PPG, NSL - Kelsey Mitchell 24.9 PPG
2013-14: NPOY - Breanna Stewart 19.4 PPG, NSL - Jerica Coley 29.5 PPG
2012-13: NPOY - Brittney Griner 23.8 PPG, NSL - Jerica Coley 26.3 PPG
2011-12: NPOY - Brittney Griner 23.2 PPG, NSL - Elena Delle Donne 28.1 PPG
2010-11: NPOY - Maya Moore 22.8 PPG, NSL - Kevi Luper 23.7 PPG
2009-10: NPOY - Tina Charles 18.2 PPG, NSL - Alysha Clark 28.3 PPG
2008-09: NPOY - Maya Moore 19.3 PPG, NSL - Angel McCoughtry 23.1 PPG
2007-08: NPOY - Candace Parker 21.3 PPG, NSL - Amber Holt 27.4 PPG
2006-07: NPOY - Candace Parker 19.6 PPG, NSL - Carrie Moore 25.4 PPG

*** Jackie Stiles is currently the points leader in the history of the game but Never earned National Player of the year.. If breaking that record means anything...
Jackie Stiles won the Wade Trophy in 2001 and also won the Honda Cup that year

Bajan Best

Decades of Excellence = Legendary
Reaction Score
Jackie Stiles won the Wade Trophy in 2001 and also won the Honda Cup that year
Thanks made that comment when I was only looking at the Naismith, that list was later revised but did not go back any further than 2006-07.. But you are absolutely correct...

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Her rise and that of NC and Gabby has been truly amazing this year and has had all of the Boneyard jumping with joy and over exhuberance at times. She and at least one of the other two if not both will be on someone's AA list. I note that Kia has also improved though not by as much as these 3. Her skill set was higher coming in and much was expected of her. She has done very well, however the other 3 have surpassed her this year. Again, we would not be where we are without Kia and we will not win a NC without any of them playing well. Just my humble opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom