Now That Was Defense! | The Boneyard

Now That Was Defense!

Reaction Score
Fanstastic defensive game all over the floor, from every position. Glad to see the bigs blocking shots, the guards locking down their opponent, and 50-50 balls ending up with the good guys.
Great job by the entire team, including the well-dressed coaching staff.

Reaction Score
The help defense was superb, switching was very quick. No one seemed lost. Tennessee does have some good players, so kudos for a job well done. Now with Azzi playing, there are enough players so everyone can get a break and rest a bit before returning, and this helps with sustaining both defensive and offensive effort throughout the game. Azzi looked really solid on defense too- she is a complete player!

Reaction Score
It’s great to see Azzi healthy. She has’t played like this for a year. The last few games she had been looking like she did in high school. Lots of 3 pointers, pull up jumpers and an occasional drive to the basket.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Did you guys/gals see Muhl stuff Key? :)
As in business and show business, “timing” is everything. She timed her jump perfectly.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Husky men should watch the tape and take a lesson in defense
The Husky men’s team is excellent defensively. Their problem is they have a hard time getting the ball in the basket. Hawkins had a bit of a break out himself, though not anywhere near as dramatic as Azzi’s.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
It’s great to see Azzi healthy. She has’t played like this for a year. The last few games she had been looking like she did in high school. Lots of 3 pointers, pull up jumpers and an occasional drive to the basket.
This probably the healthiest she's been since she's been here. Remember she played limited minutes in the summer Fiba games due to that pre-existing condition.

Reaction Score
The Husky men’s team is excellent defensively. Their problem is they have a hard time getting the ball in the basket. Hawkins had a bit of a break out himself, though not anywhere near as dramatic as Azzi’s.
I think we need to agree to disagree. The men's recent defensive efforts against Villanova and Creighton were much less than desirable. Combine that with their inability to make a basket you have two nasty loses. AJ, Polly, Akok and Hawkins need defensive coaching on how to not get beaten off the dribble, and how not to fall for the shot fake every time one is put in front of them. The ladies' defensive effort yesterday was exemplary on how to properly do both.

CL82

Reaction Score
I think we need to agree to disagree. The men's recent defensive efforts against Villanova and Creighton were much less than desirable. Combine that with their inability to make a basket you have two nasty loses. AJ, Polly, Akok and Hawkins need defensive coaching on how to not get beaten off the dribble, and how not to fall for the shot fake every time one is put in front of them. The ladies' defensive effort yesterday was exemplary on how to properly do both.
Current defensive efficiency rankings:
2B000BE4-B421-4370-A644-661A1D3B410E.jpeg

Reaction Score
Criticism (accurate or inaccurate) of the men's team on this page seems ill-advised. No need to create a rift between UConn fans.

Reaction Score
Current defensive efficiency rankings:
View attachment 73049
A decent number in the aggregate but look at the other two numbers that support what I said about their defensive efforts as a team against Villanova and Creighton. And, that does not address the defensive problems that AJ, Polly, Akok and Hawkins have staying between their respective defensive assignments and the basket, and falling for every pump fake that is presented to each of them. Whaley is also guilty of frequently falling for the pump fake.

CL82

Reaction Score
If that’s not a country song lyric, it needs to be.

CL82

Reaction Score
A decent number in the aggregate but look at the other two numbers that support what I said about their defensive efforts as a team against Villanova and Creighton. And, that does not address the defensive problems that AJ, Polly, Akok and Hawkins have staying between their respective defensive assignments and the basket, and falling for every pump fake that is presented to each of them. Whaley is also guilty of frequently falling for the pump fake.
Agree that the last few games, especially Villanova, had lapses, but overall we are a good defensive team. That’s really the engine that makes the score of the season.

Reaction Score
Criticism (accurate or inaccurate) of the men's team on this page seems ill-advised. No need to create a rift between UConn fans.
I understand your point...but have you visited the Men's Board? Insults and criticism are a staple in responses within the different list of topics .... I think @CL82 and I have said our respective opinions and have moved on.

Reaction Score
This probably the healthiest she's been since she's been here. Remember she played limited minutes in the summer Fiba games due to that pre-existing condition.
Why did Azzi go play in Fiba if she had a pre existing condition. She should have rested and been ready for UConn season.

Reaction Score
Two seasons ago, with Crystal and Megan, the team transformed in February, even though shorthanded, with defense. I see that this year as well. It began in the second quarter against Creighton and continued all through the Tennessee game with only a short lapse. With Azzi and CD, a new Evina and AE, and CW and Liv to hopefully re-emerge again, you are going to get the points you need if the defense is lock down. Defense is desire and will and can be a constant every game because it doesn't depend on shooting percentages. Geno stressed defense in the recent practices and you saw the results. It's UCONN hoops and really is the key for the rest of the season.

Huskie78

Husky fan stuck in South Bend
Reaction Score
I don't want to step on anyone's toes by stealing a line, but that woman is a menace.
It is almost guaranteed that once or twice a game Nika is going to pick someone's pocket. That amazing ability makes me want to call her: The Thief!

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
I understand your point...but have you visited the Men's Board? Insults and criticism are a staple in responses within the different list of topics .... I think @CL82 and I have said our respective opinions and have moved on.
I've never visited the men's board. Have no intention of ever visiting the men's board.

Don't understand why someone would want to interject discussion of the men's program on the women's board. Just Say-N

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom