November Friendlies | The Boneyard

November Friendlies

Reaction Score
Expect it to be a Cougar dream. I would expect almost all Yanks playing in Europe to be called up and get a chance to show what they can do. Especially young ones.

Reaction Score
Expect it to be a Cougar dream. I would expect almost all Yanks playing in Europe to be called up and get a chance to show what they can do. Especially young ones.

And you’re nightmare. No 4-4-2 and lots of creativity and taking risks.

Reaction Score
the US will win, and Cameron and Johnson will play pivotal roles in the result... I still can't believe Cameron didn't play in the final 2 matches, and Johnson wasn't even on the roster. WTF!

Reaction Score
the US will win, and Cameron and Johnson will play pivotal roles in the result... I still can't believe Cameron didn't play in the final 2 matches, and Johnson wasn't even on the roster. WTF!

Fabian hadn't been playing, and didn't seem anxious to. Cameron not playing was an utter joke. If there is a single boneheaded move that Arena made, there it is.

Reaction Score
Fabian hadn't been playing, and didn't seem anxious to. Cameron not playing was an utter joke. If there is a single boneheaded move that Arena made, there it is.

He started this weekend opposite Thorgan Hazard. Fabian got the hook in the second half and didn’t look thrilled about it. Something is off with him.

Even still, he’s a better left back than Villafana who can’t even get on the team sheet in Mexico.

Reaction Score
JK had problems with Fabian - to me he seems a little disinterested and aloof.

Cameron's healthy scratch was a crime

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
JK had problems with Fabian - to me he seems a little disinterested and aloof.
Heard on one of the talk shows there was talk Johnson was not all that interested in flying over for meaningless friendlies (or games that he didn't find interesting). But willing to come over for real games. Don't think any manager would enthralled with that attitude (if true - again it was mentioned/inferred on a radio talk show - not sure which one, might have been Dunseth/Meola??).

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Cameron is 32. If we want to go young(er), we'll have to move on from him.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Cameron is 32. If we want to go young(er), we'll have to move on from him.

I agree but he is our best "Veteran" defender. He should be in the mix during the transition. Omar et al, should not see the field again.

Start calling up every candidate who will be under 30 in 2022.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I agree but he is our best "Veteran" defender. He should be in the mix during the transition. Omar et al, should not see the field again.

Start calling up every candidate who will be under 30 in 2022.

In all honesty, there shouldn't be any "transition" if we are doing this the right way. There's no sense for a transition. All friendlies are, by definition, meaningless (nobody should care about FIFA rankings at this point).

Bring 23 young, promising players. Choose your best 11 and your best subs. Use all of the allowed subs during the friendly. Rinse and repeat until we find the best team we can possibly field for major competitions 2 years from now...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ok, but then don't whine when Bradley is called in. (don't think he actually will be for this November though, due to MLS playoffs)

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In all honesty, there shouldn't be any "transition" if we are doing this the right way. There's no sense for a transition. All friendlies are, by definition, meaningless (nobody should care about FIFA rankings at this point).

Bring 23 young, promising players. Choose your best 11 and your best subs. Use all of the allowed subs during the friendly. Rinse and repeat until we find the best team we can possibly field for major competitions 2 years from now...

I agree but any successful transition requires some veteran guidance. It is important to remember that this class coming in has not qualified for major tournaments either. Olympics, U20, etc. If I'm not mistaken, this U-17 Team is the first to reach a major tournament knockout in some time.

Which means everyone older who will comprise the bulk of the 2022 pool hasn't.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I agree but any successful transition requires some veteran guidance. It is important to remember that this class coming in has not qualified for major tournaments either. Olympics, U20, etc. If I'm not mistaken, this U-17 Team is the first to reach a major tournament knockout in some time.

Why is it necessary to have "veteran guidance" again?

You have to understand that we won't be able to play another meaningful game for 2 years. If the idea is to find a new, young, hungry crop of players, there is no sense to consistently take up 4 - 5 positions on the field with players that we've seen for the last 6 years. This was the same issue that I had with the way that the Gold Cup was handled. We learned nothing by bringing in the same 6 players for the knockout rounds, and I'd argue that we paid for that by not qualifying for the only tournament that matters.

I'm not saying that US Soccer will leave Bradley, Altidore, and Howard behind. The new coach will likely call them up, since the new coach will want to establish positive results in order to establish himself as a coach worth keeping. What I am saying is that it is the wrong thing for US Soccer to do...

Reaction Score

No. Within the last year, our U-20s (CCV, Palmer-Brown, Sargent playing up an age group, etc.) made the quarter finals and were only knocked out in a penalty shootout.

Reaction Score
Heard on one of the talk shows there was talk Johnson was not all that interested in flying over for meaningless friendlies (or games that he didn't find interesting). But willing to come over for real games. Don't think any manager would enthralled with that attitude (if true - again it was mentioned/inferred on a radio talk show - not sure which one, might have been Dunseth/Meola??).

I heard that too.

Reaction Score
Why is it necessary to have "veteran guidance" again?

100% correct. These veterans crashed out. I'll take the talent and hunger our U21s have over the experience that left us out of the WC any day.

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
100% correct. These veterans crashed out. I'll take the talent and hunger our U21s have over the experience that crashed us out of the WC any day.

And it doesn't just have to be U-21s. There are plenty of players under the age of 26 or 27 that have never had a look by the national team. Well, we've got two years to give them as many looks as we desire. And the ones that look the best will be 2 years older and 2 years better by the time we start playing meaningful games again...

Reaction Score
Mainstays:
Yedlin, Pulisic, Wood. And that's it. Turn the rest over, see what we have

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01