Nova is UConn’s biggest rival | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nova is UConn’s biggest rival

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I think there is too much respect between our two programs to be true rivals. As I’ve said before, it’s hard to hate Jay Wright. JW coaches the right way, develops players, is active in the Nova community, and his suit game is unmatched.

We do both equally dislike Cuse though so the enemy of my enemy is my friend.
Ditto.

Reaction Score
For so many years in the 90s it was St Johns. Then it became Pitt in the 00s. At the end of the decade it was Syracuse. Until they left. After that Cincinnati. We’ve been out of phase with PC. After years of beating them they now have UConns number, so it’s hard to build a rivalry that way. BC? UConn once beat BC 23 straight times, so… no. UConn v Nova or PC have the greatest potential going forward unless St Johns pick it up again.

Reaction Score
Long ago saw Pinone beat UConn and Corny T in the fieldhouse. Then the long losing streak came vs Nova as well as St John's and Georgetown. All over 20 games IIRC. I don't hate Nova but beating them has always been paramount to having a good season. If we lose to Creighton again this year though I am going to be giving them a major league bad look. Do not like that program.

Reaction Score
For so many years in the 90s it was St Johns. Then it became Pitt in the 00s. At the end of the decade it was Syracuse. Until they left. After that Cincinnati. We’ve been out of phase with PC. After years of beating them they now have UConns number, so it’s hard to build a rivalry that way. BC? UConn once beat BC 23 straight times, so… no. UConn v Nova or PC have the greatest potential going forward unless St Johns pick it up again.
Commitment issues

Reaction Score
I remember at the beginning of the Big East, the conference has an us against the world mentality, where everyone wanted to kill each other, but there was respect. Every school was proud in 1995 when there were 3 Big East teams in the Final Four. I think expansion with schools that had their own agendas hurt that. The league because a mish mash of football and basketball schools, good academics and Louisville, etc.
With realignment, the conference got back to its roots.
Uconn may be a State school with football, but they're clearly a basketball school with quality academics like the rest of the league. Also, most of the coaches get along and have a mutual respect for each other.
There will be rivalries based on geography, but in most years, the biggest rivals are going to be determined by the league standings.

Reaction Score
Nova 37 wins to UConn 31 wins in series history.
You keep throwing out "facts" like this and we'll hate you by the end of the night. Jk.

I personally think it's on UConn to win the league or tourney (while beating Nova along the way) to get this rivalry warmed back up.

A few more recruiting battles wouldn't hurt either.

Reaction Score
1. Nova
2. Cuse
3. Providence
4. Georgetown
5. St Johns
6. BC

AmIRight?
I don't consider St Johns a rival at all. I would put Duke and UK at 3 and 4 behind Cuse and Nova because of the number of times we've met them in the NCAA Tournament - and considering the stakes of those games when we played them. They hate UConn lol

Reaction Score
I hate Syracuse and want everything bad to happen to them. I want their program to suffer and fall into an abyss and never make it out. I don't want that for Nova. Nova being great makes UConn a better program. I don't like how Nova has demolished us every time we've played since the 2014 tournament though.

The Big East will be at it's best when UConn and Nova are battling for the top spot

Reaction Score
Cuse, PC, pitt then nova.

But sadly the Cuse and Pitt as rivals is way diminished now. But I can’t forget those regular season and MSG battles.

Reaction Score
I hate Syracuse and want everything bad to happen to them. I want their program to suffer and fall into an abyss and never make it out. I don't want that for Nova. Nova being great makes UConn a better program. I don't like how Nova has demolished us every time we've played since the 2014 tournament though.

The Big East will be at it's best when UConn and Nova are battling for the top spot
I like how you slipped in the 2014 tournament reference. Not.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
I think there is too much respect between our two programs to be true rivals. As I’ve said before, it’s hard to hate Jay Wright. JW coaches the right way, develops players, is active in the Nova community, and his suit game is unmatched.

We do both equally dislike Cuse though so the enemy of my enemy is my friend.

God that man has incredible suit game

Dude is like real life Harvey Spector in that regard

Reaction Score
how can we still be rivals with Cuse if they wont agree to place us at least once every two years at MSG?

Reaction Score
Cuse, PC, pitt then nova.

But sadly the Cuse and Pitt as rivals is way diminished now. But I can’t forget those regular season and MSG battles.
Pitt is 11-17. And it’s one of their better seasons since defecting.

Reaction Score
Right?

Georgetown and Cuse will always have each other first, and they have both been down too long.

Nova and UConn have a balanced history, titles, and are both competitive today.

Everyone agree?
So much better sounding than Cincinnati or south Florida or Memphis right?

Reaction Score
Commitment issues
You need some sustained excellence. St. John's cratered. Pitt is Pitt. Then we stayed in the only conference we'd practically ever known while you guys left, and we were left with Cincy.

Reaction Score
Yes 100%.

The game we just watched only cemented this. The circumstances and challenges to get the win only amplified the newly growing rivalry for both sides. Fk cuse and pitt, new era now.
Great win Huskies! I hate it!

But this is what it’s all about. High energy. Sold out. 2 ranked teams late in the season. Top 10 team beaten on the road.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom