Status
Not open for further replies.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
http://www.zagsblog.com/2012/04/27/hayes-to-visit-georgetown-postpones-uconn/

Doesn't sound good.

Per the father:
“UConn is being postponed at this time,” Hayes said. “That’s pretty much where we stand at this time. We just decided we wanted to take a little bit closer look at some things surrounding the program.
“We want B.J. to be in the best situation possible. At this time UConn is postponed.”

Reaction Score
Ugh! Jc needs to make his mind up and Blaney needs to stfu! We need some closure with the retirement thing. it's Jc's decision and he's eatned every right to decide on his time table. But for the programs sake he needs to say it's now or next year or after my contract. These kids and parents deserve to know.

Reaction Score
there is no reason to worry. other guys on this board will bring up how coach recruited in the past and insist that our current situation will have no impact on current recruiting.

Reaction Score
Uconn needs a big man bad...shame that this happened

Reaction Score
there is no reason to worry. other guys on this board will bring up how coach recruited in the past and insist that our current situation will have no impact on current recruiting.

The most damning thing about the "current situation" is the postseason ban. That will prevent us from getting anybody in the class of 2012. I think most people understand that.

Reaction Score
This doesn't look good. Unless that visit gets rescheduled in a hurry...well you can finish the rest.

Reaction Score
from what I heard this kid has a long way to go and isnt close to a top 100 talent. I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about landing him. I know we need big men badly but I dont think this kid is the answer.

Reaction Score
I really thought JC coming back was a foregone conclusion... NOT... Seems like he's getting a little nudge to call it quits now... Not saying this is true in any way... Just my opinion... If this does happen it's one of those smh moments... 2011 National Champs to an uncertainty going into the 2012-2013 season...

Whatever happens, UCONN can't let this linger for much longer...

Reaction Score
I really thought JC coming back was a foregone conclusion... NOT... Seems like he's getting a little nudge to call it quits now... Not saying this is true in any way... Just my opinion... If this does happen it's one of those smh moments... 2011 National Champs to an uncertainty going into the 2012-2013 season...

Reaction Score

I understand it is your opinion but who or what makes you think he is being pushed out ? I have not read anywhere that anybody is pushing him out - except some boneyarders - and I doubt Calhoun is reading any of our posts here.

Reaction Score
from what I heard this kid has a long way to go and isnt close to a top 100 talent. I'm not sure why everyone is so concerned about landing him. I know we need big men badly but I dont think this kid is the answer.
At this late stage in the recruiting season, who else who is out there that is attainable? As it stands now, the only bigs we have are Wolf & Olander. Neither are going to play a full 40 minutes. If either gets into foul trouble, we're toast. If both are in foul trouble...I don't even want to think about it.

They need 2 big bodies, not just one. Unless we can land Obekpa, it's a huge step down from Hayes to the next guy. I don't see any of the other remaining top 100 bigs reconsidering UConn. Hayes might have been our best hope. I hope I'm wrong, very wrong.

Reaction Score
Check out Dom Amore's morning chat on hoops at the Courant.

He is certain that JC isn't going anywhere. He is as close to the program as anyone, has a good relationship with Coach and is convinced that JC is going to stay at the helm.

That said, it would be a lot easier to deal with if JC were more explicit and if George B. kept his mouth shut.

Reaction Score

I agree a 100%. The program can't afford JC stringing this out much longer. He needs to make a definitive decision ASAP. George's statement about him thinking JC doesn't know what he wants to do, probably kicked our chances of landing Bradley Hayes to the curb. Just too much going against our program to weather JC not making a definitive decision about his return. I love the guy and he has earned the right to decide his own future, but for the program's sake, he's hurting it by not making it clear that he's returning or not.

Maybe an announcement now that he's not returning could be more damaging resulting in more defections. Maybe he's decided he's not going to return and wants to leave things vague so they don't lose more players, including Omar Calhoun. Maybe he wants to wait till the last moment so that the program will have to go with Ollie for a year, improving his chances of getting the HC job on a perminant basis. Who knows?

If he does plan to return, he needs to get a definitive announcement out ASAP, but even so, delaying it until now, might have cost the program Hayes and who knows who else.

Reaction Score
I agree a 100%. The program can't afford JC stringing this out much longer. He needs to make a definitive decision ASAP. George's statement about him thinking JC doesn't know what he wants to do, probably kicked our chances of landing Bradley Hayes to the curb. Just too much going against our program to weather JC not making a definitive decision about his return. I love the guy and he has earned the right to decide his own future, but for the program's sake, he's hurting it by not making it clear that he's returning or not.

Maybe an announcement now that he's not returning could be more damaging resulting in more defections. Maybe he's decided he's not going to return and wants to leave things vague so they don't lose more players, including Omar Calhoun. Maybe he wants to wait till the last moment so that the program will have to go with Ollie for a year, improving his chances of getting the HC job on a perminant basis. Who knows?

If he does plan to return, he needs to get a definitive announcement out ASAP, but even so, delaying it until now, might have cost the program Hayes and who knows who else.
How do any of us know that he has not already told those who need to know he is coming back - Herbst and new AD - Ward M ? Just because we don't know doesn't mean it is hurting the program.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
How do any of us know that he has not already told those who need to know he is coming back - Herbst and new AD - Ward M ? Just because we don't know doesn't mean it is hurting the program.
i disagree. all the speculation only hurts the program. i get that these HS kids have tons of access to twitter and the internet, but anyone recruiting against UCONN has a pretty simple sell - "JC is not healthy and won't be there much longer, if even next year. oh, and don't forget the post season ban." all the "will he or won't he retire" along with Blaney's dumb-ass comments makes kids aware of the "issues" on several levels and i'm sure our opponents are chirping in their ears too.

i mean why would he want to keep his status some sort of super secret confidential issue? it's not like this is the White House and we are playing chicken with North Korea or China.

i just don't get why a guy as smart as JC has had so much trouble putting a cohesive "message" out there. "I'm coming back for the next 2 years. that's what i have on my contract. anyone who says otherwise, including Blaney, is a moron". Thank you JC!

Reaction Score

We do know kids are transfering out. Could be because of apr, playing time, whatever.
We do know other coaches have been using this against us for years (debatable whether or not its been sucsesssful). We have an associate head coach making a statement stating Jc doesn't know what he is going to do. Why would he make that comment. Leverage for Jc to geet what he wants? KO to be coach?

Then we have Bradley's dad stating the things going on with the ..program, after stating not playing in the tournament next year isn't a problem. So what does not telling anyone help? Bradley isn't even a big time recruit.

We all love JC and as I stated before he has earned the right to retire when he wants. But there is no doubt that this is hurting the program. I can't think of one positve. Foolong OC to stay doesn't help the program. It hurts our image.

If they know he's retiring not one leak that the is a committee looking for a coach?

Reaction Score
At this late stage in the recruiting season, who else who is out there that is attainable? As it stands now, the only bigs we have are Wolf & Olander. Neither are going to play a full 40 minutes. If either gets into foul trouble, we're toast. If both are in foul trouble...I don't even want to think about it.

They need 2 big bodies, not just one. Unless we can land Obekpa, it's a huge step down from Hayes to the next guy. I don't see any of the other remaining top 100 bigs reconsidering UConn. Hayes might have been our best hope. I hope I'm wrong, very wrong.
Maybe Pasqualoni could lend a couple of his big bodies...

Reaction Score
We do know other coaches have been using this against us for years (debatable whether or not its been sucsesssful).

This is some effective ammunition for other coaches (coaches health, no post season, transfers, apr fiasco, coaching staff longevity, etc.). Especially when used on UConn recruited kids with multiple visits or offers. Right now we are forced into becoming salesman whereas a couple of years ago the program sold itself and maybe a little nudge made the difference. The program is wrapped in uncertainty, player abandonment and of course the ban. Its not about Hayes himself or other recruits, its about stability and charting the course. To me that is a resounding message that college basketball needs from Storrs. We are reeling and even an ostrich with his head in the sand can see that.

Not one post I have read has stated with absolute/definitive knowledge that this team is secure in its future. I read opinions, speculation, hopes, assumptions and optimistic viewpoints (which all may be correct). The best coach in all of college basketball could end this shtt and rally the troops go to war (right now!).

To me right now we just seem passive and unsure, forgetting that we are Champions capable of beating this shtt and winning.

Reaction Score
I'm as big of JC fan as anyone and I'm completely befuddled as why he can't seem to issue a definitive statement one way of the other. There is no doubt this topic is being used as negative recruiting against uconn which just makes his job and the staffs more difficult on the recruiting trail. So he's essentially making it harder on himself (yeah i know about ad and dd last year) which is beyond puzzling, who wants to make their job more difficult?

It's a little wacky because I've never thought of the man as indecisive, but it reminds me of those coaches that accept one job and a day later go back to their old job ( a la Donovan and Orlando or Cremins and South Carolina).

Reaction Score

Save the scholarship. Focus on 2013. Montrezl Harrell is going to decommit from Va tech we should try for him. We can't do anything next year anyway.

Reaction Score
Save the scholarship. Focus on 2013. Montrezl Harrell is going to decommit from Va tech we should try for him. We can't do anything next year anyway.

Being next years BE depaul will not be good for 2013 recruiting

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The charade of 'not knowing' if the head coach is returning is a yearly cluster duck*. It has never once helped in any way, shape or form - let's be honest, Hayes is the middling sort of late spring prospect that looks more appealing than he is because of the 'last call' scramble to fill spots.

It's May. There is roughly one program in the country that is currently wondering if their head coach is returning or not.

It's just stupid.

Reaction Score
Being next years BE depaul will not be good for 2013 recruiting

Recruits like playing time. We will have that for 2013 recruits. My point is Bradley Hayes isn't going to change the outcome of our season at all.

Reaction Score
screw it...i saw hold our ships and go wild next year...WILD! if we stay with our current roster and assuming only Evans leave, we are left with....

12-13
Bazz
Boat
Giffey
Daniels
TO
Wolf
Calhoun
Evans

13-14
Bazz
Boat