Not Just Seniors Get an Extra Year? | The Boneyard

Not Just Seniors Get an Extra Year?

Reaction Score
Was just reading that all players regardless of class get and extra year of eligibility. This is really going to complicate recruiting.

Reaction Score
Was just reading that all players regardless of class get and extra year of eligibility. This is really going to complicate recruiting.
It's a nightmare for Class of 2020 and 2021 recruits. Lots of kids with college dreams will either decide not to bother or there won't be spots for them.

Reaction Score
It's a nightmare for Class of 2020 and 2021 recruits. Lots of kids with college dreams will either decide not to bother or there won't be spots for them.

It's a nightmare for people who lost a close relative before their time. It's a nightmare for people who have lost all or large portions of their income to the downturn in the travel and leisure industries. No matter how many times others say it, or tell me it's harsh, I refuse to use the term "nightmare" for those who are going to spend a year as the 13th man on a basketball team, and out of the rotation, instead of the 9th man and in the rotation. Yes, it sucks and no, it's not fair, but some perspective on the much greater suffering of many would be useful.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
It's a nightmare for people who lost a close relative before their time. It's a nightmare for people who have lost all or large portions of their income to the downturn in the travel and leisure industries. No matter how many times others say it, or tell me it's harsh, I refuse to use the term "nightmare" for those who are going to spend a year as the 13th man on a basketball team, and out of the rotation, instead of the 9th man and in the rotation. Yes, it sucks and no, it's not fair, but some perspective on the much greater suffering of many would be useful.

It's just a manner of speech. People have nightmares about close relatives dying, and they have nightmares about showing up for an exam they hadn't studied for.

When you put aside people who have lost their livelihoods or people they care about, the people I probably I feel worst for is college kids -- athletes and non-athletes alike. College should be one of the best times of your life.

Reaction Score
This is a college basketball board. Most of the conversation relates to college basketball. That includes covid’s impact on college basketball. Obviously it has far greater implications, but go somewhere else to discuss. Just because people are discussing the impact on college basketball here does not make them insensitive to the greater loss.

Reaction Score
It's just a manner of speech. People have nightmares about close relatives dying, and they have nightmares about showing up for an exam they hadn't studied for.

When you put aside people who have lost their livelihoods or people they care about, the people I probably I feel worst for is college kids -- athletes and non-athletes alike. College should be one of the best times of your life.

It's not just athletes. Students of all ages have experiences outside of the classroom that they aren't getting. I'm neither unaware nor unsympathetic. It's not like I don't have many loved ones losing experiences.

But overstating the pain of some makes it harder for those suffering much more real and direct pain to find their peace and balance. That's my opinion and my priority. I don't pretend it has to be yours or anyone else's and I'm not trying to criticize those like the post I responded to -- I'm hoping to point out how hard it most be for someone who lost their father or spouse or child to this disease to hear people overstate the loss suffered by someone who is still going to get their college scholarship but is going to lose a year of playing time.

Reaction Score
It's not just athletes. Students of all ages have experiences outside of the classroom that they aren't getting. I'm neither unaware nor unsympathetic. It's not like I don't have many loved ones losing experiences.

But overstating the pain of some makes it harder for those suffering much more real and direct pain to find their peace and balance. That's my opinion and my priority. I don't pretend it has to be yours or anyone else's and I'm not trying to criticize those like the post I responded to -- I'm hoping to point out how hard it most be for someone who lost their father or spouse or child to this disease to hear people overstate the loss suffered by someone who is still going to get their college scholarship but is going to lose a year of playing time.
I highly doubt those people are hanging out on a UConn men’s basketball message board in droves, hanging on every word that a bunch of college hoops fans say about the impact of Covid. Cmon.

Reaction Score
Will sports fans get to use the word “nightmare” in a sports blog type way once COVID is over?

I don’t think they should.

Long after COVID is gone there’ll still be people suffering in this world, dying horrible deaths through famine, war, poverty. And millions of wretched souls will be suppressed and living in fear in fascist states where free speech has been censored.

“Nightmare” should be banned from this blog going forward and any historical reference using that word needs to be taken down and eliminated.

Reaction Score
I think we should lean towards protecting our future than holding onto our past.

I think most programs will do this. ^

I could see Polley or Whaley staying, not both.

Reaction Score
I highly doubt those people are hanging out on a UConn men’s basketball message board in droves, hanging on every word that a bunch of college hoops fans say about the impact of Covid. Cmon.
If there are members on this Board who have suffered family losses from the disease, I am sure they would express their anger or feelings about how they have been affected by the irrevocable consequences of losing a loved one in death from Covid and would consider the inconvenience of college students losing a year of the "college experience" as paling in comparison.

Though since this is a basketball board, posters expressing their feelings for the inconveniences suffered by their kids from online learning, should be respected for their views even if they are not considering the larger injustices others are experiencing on a daily basis from the other ills mentioned.

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Good lord - have you all lost the ability to process language in context? You jump the shark when you compare 'the nightmare' of sports scholarships to the damages done by COVID when the original use of the phrase never had anything to do with the latter.

Reaction Score
Jeez. I wasn't discussing the societal impact of Covid. I was out of work all year due to Covid. Should I have thrown that in to brighten posters' day too???

Reaction Score
Will sports fans get to use the word “nightmare” in a sports blog type way once COVID is over?

I don’t think they should.

Long after COVID is gone there’ll still be people suffering in this world, dying horrible deaths through famine, war, poverty. And millions of wretched souls will be suppressed and living in fear in fascist states where free speech has been censored.

“Nightmare” should be banned from this blog going forward and any historical reference using that word needs to be taken down and eliminated.
Throw out 'warrior', 'hero', 'soldier', 'step on their throat' and probably many other terms that are commonly used in sports that now shouldn't be used when compared to larger societal issues. I heard the Fox NFL announcers today talking about 'It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" while Michael Vick was present on the panel....

Reaction Score
There's plenty of people here who say things like this to imply that such basketball impacts are not justified or are unreasonable. And predictably, some of them are here to side with that post. So that's also part of the context.

Reaction Score
People that come on this board and criticize others for being insensitive when they talk about the impact of Covid on college athletics are just completely misplaced and wrong. This is not a political board nor an outlet to discuss world events. It’s a college basketball discussion forum.

We all know everyone has been impacted by Covid. We don’t need your pompous indignation about how college sports are irrelevant in the grand scheme of pain, loss of life, etc that the disease has caused. Get off your high horse and take that conversation somewhere else. I come here to talk about UConn basketball, I don’t need a lecture on the impacts of Covid on everyone’s lives. I live that every day too.

Reaction Score
We all know everyone has been impacted by Covid.

Oh, I see. There are no people here who aren't on the same page about the pandemic. I stand corrected. Carry on then, good sir.

Reaction Score
Oh, I see. There are no people here who aren't on the same page about the pandemic. I stand corrected. Carry on then, good sir.
Not sure what you’re even talking about. But I don’t think anyone on this board needs a lecture about the broader impacts of Covid and how insignificant sports are in the context of the virus. We all get that everyone has endured hardships that go far beyond sports.

calluke

#FreeHat!
Reaction Score
Imagine being a pompous egotistical lawyer and melting over the word "nightmare" on a message board about basketball.

Reaction Score
In these unprecedented times, it's a hiccup. Some will stick around and play an extra year while taking grad classes. A few will leave on time or early to go pro. A vast majority will probably graduate and go get a job with their new degrees which they earned by playing ball. High school kids could go to prep school for a year. Maybe they expand the rosters by a couple of spots to allow for the bottleneck.

Reaction Score
I still have nightmares from my days at UConn . . . It's midway through the semester and I realize I haven't been to a couple of my courses in about a month while missing a few term papers and exams. Should I walk up the stairs to the lecture hall or join the volley ball game in the quad.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you’re even talking about. But I don’t think anyone on this board needs a lecture about the broader impacts of Covid and how insignificant sports are in the context of the virus. We all get that everyone has endured hardships that go far beyond sports.

No no, you're right. No one here proved themselves to be certifiably insane over the course of this. I misremembered, I guess.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom