Not HCPP's fault.... I can't wait to see his recruits | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Not HCPP's fault.... I can't wait to see his recruits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how much blame HCPP deserves.

I do know that last year our special teams were so rock solid that they pretty much led us to a BCS birth.

Today our special teams lost us the game IMO. We are not good enough to be able to give away 14 points on specials. The kick off unit looked woefully slow to react on that opening kick off. The Louisville kick off returner was slowed several times (due to missed tackles by us) and still there were not enough UConn players near him to bring him down. And the Reyes penalty cannot happen...EVER. That changed the entire game.

We can wait for HCPP to bring in his own players especially on offense to make a better judgement. But in the meantime we have to know that we cannot give up 14 points on special teams and expect to win a game. We didn't seem to know that today.
In all my posts in this thread I was careful not to criticise PP by name, I did however criticise the Coaching Staff. IMO some of the guys under PP will also not be around next year. Is PP to blame, yeah partly, but I do hope he is aware of some of the numbskulls working under him.

Reaction Score
Disagree. They clearly don't have elite talent on the offensive side of the ball, but whatever this coaching staff has done to try and make them better this year hasn't worked. P has no fire and passion and just looks like a grumpy old man who isn't getting his way.

Coaching is about leadership, instilling pride, and getting the most out of the cards you are dealt (both personnel and situation wise). In my opinion, Coach P hasn't done any of those things with this team and instead throws little temper tantrums on the side-line instead of trying to coach his guys up.

Maybe he will end up recruiting fantastic players like Donovan McNabb and Dwight Freeney and that will overcome what I see as his major faults. I just don't really understand how so many of you are willing to lay the blame on the season totally on the players and exempt this staff from blame because they didn't recruit any of the players. Just a difference in opinion I guess.

Reaction Score
So what do they do at practice, if tackling and catching are not a part of it? You seem to know it all, after all YOU (and only you on this board) have played organized sports, and YOU have had a coach.

Dude, seriously. The coaching staff is solely responsible for the preparation of their players, mentally and physically. You have to expect a few drops and missed tackles, but to see this many of both in one game is a lapse in the focus and dedication of the whole team. It's not like it was just one guy having a rough day. That is the coaching staff's responsibility. Didn't you hear about Charlie Strong talking about about his players paying too much attention to video games and not pouring their hearts into their last game? He was claiming responsibility for not getting his player's to understand the importance of the next game and focus. He knows that is his role.

It drove us crazy when Edsall would blame a loss on "failure to execute". Basically he dumped the blame on the players and shirked any responsibility. After the umpteenth time saying that, he really started to sound just selfish and prideful. It was horrible and a bad example. The reason a top HC like Miles, Meyer, Harbaugh, or Belicheck gets the big bucks is because he can motivate and direct young men toward a common goal. Seriously, Jim Harbaugh is killing it in SF with a depleted, "bare cupboards" situation. I mean, Alex Smith, really?? How is he doing it? With mental toughness and a solid team focus, both of which are more valuable than mere talent.
All I am saying is it's not crazy to think we could have that here, but 10 games in, the team under PP, DeLeone (and others) still feel as ineffective, unfocused, and undisciplined as the did in game 2. After 10 games of little or no improvement, I think the coaching staff deserves some criticism for the combined mistakes today. That's it.

Reaction Score
At some point HCPP lovers have to start to take stock of some basic facts. The team was not ready to play, continues to execute poorly, and is undisciplined. JMac made some terrible passes, but also had more than a healthy share of good balls thrown that were dropped. This team simply is not coached well. As horrible as HCRE was at times, his teams improved over the season.

Reaction Score
Disagree. They clearly don't have elite talent on the offensive side of the ball, but whatever this coaching staff has done to try and make them better this year hasn't worked. P has no fire and passion and just looks like a grumpy old man who isn't getting his way.

Coaching is about leadership, instilling pride, and getting the most out of the cards you are dealt (both personnel and situation wise). In my opinion, Coach P hasn't done any of those things with this team and instead throws little temper tantrums on the side-line instead of trying to coach his guys up.

Maybe he will end up recruiting fantastic players like Donovan McNabb and Dwight Freeney and that will overcome what I see as his major faults. I just don't really understand how so many of you are willing to lay the blame on the season totally on the players and exempt this staff from blame because they didn't recruit any of the players. Just a difference in opinion I guess.

This is the great post I wish I could have made. Props to you.

Reaction Score

Case in point..and many may think this is a silly point but whatever. End of the 3rd quarter..Sandstorm is raging over the PA, Louisville players are together, jumping around and getting amped. Our sideline, spread out, heads down, zero energy. Zero. Now I know that jumping around to Sandstorm is not a sign of a team's focus, but it was a sign of a general malaise IMO

F

fortebleedsblue

And you think they've been stressing that in practice? I don't. Has this coaching staff done a good job trying to get this team up for the game during this week? IMO, nope. If you think these kids don't have heart then ask yourself why? COACHING.

Lets get real here. You're saying that WIDE OPEN WR'S not catching the ball is a coaches fault? Seriously? This is from a player who is a Red Shirt Senior .... think about that. He has been playing for 5 years and gets a wide open pass more than once and completely blows it. Are you telling me this is HCPP's fault because the WR's don't like him? Perhaps these WR's always had trouble catching balls ... so I guess they hate both FHCRE and HCPP right? I seem to recall that McCummings missed a wide open pass ... this isn't about the coaches ... its about the players talent. What coach needs to be here for our QB's and WR's to all of a sudden be effective when they have under performed the last few years. Please tell me because I would like to know.

Reaction Score
The drops really looked awful today. Some of the penalties were BS and could've been easily not called but the butter fingers were inexcusable.

Reaction Score
UConn's offense is terrible. Poor recruiting by Randy. . . Poor coaching by PP. Period. Get some playmakers in here period. No defensive recruits, only offensive.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Lets get real here. You're saying that WIDE OPEN WR'S not catching the ball is a coaches fault? Seriously? This is from a player who is a Red Shirt Senior .... think about that. He has been playing for 5 years and gets a wide open pass more than once and completely blows it. Are you telling me this is HCPP's fault because the WR's don't like him? Perhaps these WR's always had trouble catching balls ... so I guess they hate both FHCRE and HCPP right? I seem to recall that McCummings missed a wide open pass ... this isn't about the coaches ... its about the players talent. What coach needs to be here for our QB's and WR's to all of a sudden be effective when they have under performed the last few years. Please tell me because I would like to know.

Sad part is, I would be willing to bet that, if you asked those WRs, they would absolutely say it was THEIR fault. Kash is a 5th year senior that dropped a huge 3rd down pass while he was wide open. You think he's putting that on the coaches?

F

fortebleedsblue

I don't remember not seeing Randy's team play with everything they had.

When you "buy" what the coaches are selling you play disciplined and focused football.

Last years run by this team was proof of that. I really think PP dumped too much too fast on these guys and he doesn't have enough guys made for his system, on offense and defense.

SportsArt .... Edsall's team last year had Todman. Mccombs is not Todman. Imagine that team with out Todman ... or remember the running snaps that Frey took over. Frey had his moments and I was a big fan ... but he was no Todman. HCPP doesn't have a player like that this year and has to work with QB's that just are clearly QB's but IMO aren't BCS caliber.

Reaction Score
Our receivers needed to make ordinary catches to win this game and they did not. Louisville receivers made extra ordinary catches. We have given this passing game enough chances over the years. Time for the new kids to step up and play. I don't care if lose the next two, it would be better than watching what I saw today.

Include McCombs in the category of somebody who has to learn how to hold on to the ball.

Think that there is a reason that PP finds two transfers and a JUCO to supplement the receiving corps.

Reaction Score
SportsArt .... Edsall's team last year had Todman. Mccombs is not Todman. Imagine that team with out Todman ... or remember the running snaps that Frey took over. Frey had his moments and I was a big fan ... but he was no Todman. HCPP doesn't have a player like that this year and has to work with QB's that just are clearly QB's but IMO aren't BCS caliber.

Hell, I'd take Frazer back in a heartbeat for this year

Reaction Score
I find this thread funny. This might have been Deleone's best game. People were in position all day to make significant plays on offense without having to do anything spectacular. Our offensive talent simply didn't do what they should have and were capable of.

Reaction Score
First bad play of this season occurred immediately after the Fiesta Bowl. They could have change the entire equation. But more of the same old fashion, tired New England, Land o Steady Habits crap. Result? HCPP. Result ZZZZzzzzzzzzzz zzzz zz zzz zzz.

Reaction Score
I agree the players were put in positions to succeed by DeLeone, but there's more to coaching than just drawing the Xs and Os.

I think the people who are holding out hope that PP is a much better recruiter than RE are in for a rude awakening. I hope Casey Cochran is Steve Young, but I'm not counting on it. My head tells me that Nebrich was as or more successful than Cochran playing at a much better level of HS football.

Reaction Score
I find this thread funny. This might have been Deleone's best game. People were in position all day to make significant plays on offense without having to do anything spectacular. Our offensive talent simply didn't do what they should have and were capable of.
+1
Play calling was not the issue. It would have been a much different game without 9 wide open drops.

Reaction Score
Listen wise @ss, when you see dropped passes like today and missed tackles like today resulting in an opening kickoff score, and slumping shoulders on the sidelines it points to coaching failures on several fronts.
You are just nuts - the coaches put these guys in a position to make plays and they did not do it. To blame the coaches is just crazy talk. They are not coaching 10 year olds just learning the game.

Reaction Score
I agree the players were put in positions to succeed by DeLeone, but there's more to coaching than just drawing the Xs and Os.

I think the people who are holding out hope that PP is a much better recruiter than RE are in for a rude awakening. I hope Casey Cochran is Steve Young, but I'm not counting on it. My head tells me that Nebrich was as or more successful than Cochran playing at a much better level of HS football.

That's scary. But all too true.

Reaction Score
There's no talent gap, that absurd. L'ville was awful, we were worse.
How can you say there's no talent gap? I'm not saying Ville is highly talented, but at least their receivers can catch. That takes some talent. And they made catches in traffic. Our receivers drop open passes with no one around. That's a talent gap. Just is.

Reaction Score

How can you possible know this when you are not at practice and team meetings and watching game film. Just amazing.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The team was absolutely unprepared. If this doesn't fall on the coaching staff, what does?

I feel the way i felt in 2005 and it stinks. While being interviewed on the way off the field at halftime, PP complained about the kickoff coverage and stated that it 'has to improve because we are kickoff off to start the second half'. How does the head coach not know at that point who is kciking off?

If they showed any urgency during the last minute (when we settled for a field goal) we actually could have had a shot (with an onside kick recovery) to tie (or win if the score then was a TD) but it appeared as if we had already conceded the outcome and merely wanted to make the final score look close. Why, with ~45 seconds left and the ball at the 30 (before the roughing the passer) were we not taking shots at the end zone? The few 10-15 yard pass attempts killed most of what was left on the clock when we kicked the field goal. At that point why bother? If a field goal was a reasonable strategy, why not try to save some time as well?

The coaching staff gets an F today. The drops (and it felt like there were fifty) killed us but there is a lot of blame to be placed elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Right on 1000%

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc