Not a lot of buzz here after today's big win | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Not a lot of buzz here after today's big win

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
You need some perspective. None of those teams you metioned would trade places with us.

REALLY??? BC wouldn't trade places with us? Are you saying that because of the conference thing or because of the state of the team? I think you are speaking about the former and not the latter. The former is not within our control...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
REALLY??? BC wouldn't trade places with us? Are you saying that because of the conference thing or because of the state of the team? I think you are speaking about the former and not the latter. The former is not within our control...

I saw more of the BCU game yesterday than I care to admit. BCU would kick our ass all the way into next week.

Reaction Score
Lets face it we are not lookng like a great choice to any conference we aspire to run to.
Boring play lead by a boring coach who seems to be resistant to change.

If anything we need a coach who can sell the program, rally the fanbase and make us appear to be the best choice to possible suitors.

This is not happening on any front as of right now.

Reaction Score
It's not impossible for UConn to be very good in football. We are damn good in nearly every single other sport we seriously compete in.

What other school has had in the last two years: a women's basketball team go to two straight final fours, a men's basketball team win a national championship, a baseball team go to a super regional, and a soccer team ranked in the top 5 throughout the season?

I'm not saying it's easy. But it certainly can be done here.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I saw more of the BCU game yesterday than I care to admit. BCU would kick our ass all the way into next week.

Going into week 5 for them, they have not yet beat a 1-A team (they are 1-3). We will be able to make a direct comparison of their team when they play against Maryland, in order to better judge how we would stack up against them. But I'm looking at the remainder of their schedule, and I'm having a hard time seeing how they are going to get above 3 wins this year. Their fanbase has absolutely dialed it in, based on the attendance numbers that I have heard through the BY. Here is their schedule this year, and you tell me who they are beating:

@Army
@Florida State
@Georgia Tech
Maryland
@Wake Forest
Notre Dame
Virginia Tech
NCState

I have them maybe....MAYBE getting to four wins this year, but that would include them picking up one of the two games against Ga Tech or Maryland, and I don't think they'll get either...

Reaction Score
So BC has a bad year followed up by a 1-3 start and all of a sudden the prior 9 seasons where they went 80-37 with 9 bowl appearances are meaningless and are weaker relative to uconn because we were lucky enough to sneak into a bcs bowl and get throttled by OU?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Your (HFD) entire post is irrelevent to the point I made. As bad as you try to make them, they are a better team than us now. If we played them this year they would have an easy win. They will be an even better team next year when they get a real coach in there. We squandered our opportunity to pass them. What will we be next year?

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
So BC has a bad year followed up by a 1-3 start and all of a sudden the prior 9 seasons where they went 80-37 with 9 bowl appearances are meaningless and are weaker relative to uconn because we were lucky enough to sneak into a bcs bowl and get throttled by OU?

Yeah, because UConn only had one successful season, right? We didn't go to any other bowls during that time, right? And UConn wasn't "lucky enough" to get into that bowl. We earned our way in by beating teams in our conference. I'm confident that if the 2010 team plays the ACC champion, we win. We ran into a buzzsaw, and were in it until the end of the third quarter, even after two separate balls hit off our wide receivers and went "pick-6"...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
You know how the mind protects you from emotional pain by telling you that something is no big deal? It helps lower expectations?

This is starting to creap in. It's been happening since the end of last year. The off season realignment crap did not give me a chance to reload my optimism for the current season.

If after 12 years of a total emotional connection, my mind really digested what may be taking place, I would be saddened beyond belief.

I don't think I could be apathetic about UConn FB but then again I never knew I could feel like it's slipping away.....like we could be the next Temple or Buffalo.

I know just what you are saying.

Reaction Score

Choose whatever reason you want. They wouldn't trade places with us. Sorry, but that's the reality of the situation.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Your (HFD) entire post is irrelevent to the point I made. As bad as you try to make them, they are a better team than us now. If we played them this year they would have an easy win. They will be an even better team next year when they get a real coach in there. We squandered our opportunity to pass them. What will we be next year?

I think you're wrong. I think if we play them this year, we win. I think it would look much like the MD game looked, and that we would win.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
I know just what you are saying.
Temple and Buffalo are becoming our peer group. This is what conference realignment ultimately means, for all of those excited by our new conference brethren.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Choose whatever reason you want. They wouldn't trade places with us. Sorry, but that's the reality of the situation.

Because of the money. That was my point to Waquoit. If not for the conference situation, they would not be feeling too hot about their situation in the world. If you think we're hard on our team, you should see what THEIR fans are saying... (maybe they'll have even less than 200 people at next year's spring game)

Reaction Score
I admire your unconditional optimism. But come on Dan.

I don't see why this is so crazy. Even in our most successful year, we got blown out by Temple. People have unreasonable expectations about this program, imo.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. BC would win by two touchdowns, minimum.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
BC is beyond terrible on the field. Only losing by 2 touchdowns at home is pretty good day for them.

They have a few advantages over UConn:

1. They aren't fighting for their program's continued existance in the 'big time'
2. They are much closer to relieving their coach of his duties and that much closer to having the opportunity to fix the results on the field.

It doesn't much matter who would win a game between UConn and BC.

Reaction Score
But if the wheels completely fall off and we are 3-9, would we not be in just about the same position as BC regarding HC?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Because of the money. That was my point to Waquoit. If not for the conference situation, they would not be feeling too hot about their situation in the world. If you think we're hard on our team, you should see what THEIR fans are saying... (maybe they'll have even less than 200 people at next year's spring game)

They should be upset. What has happened there is disgraceful. It's not like Jags or TOB were Nick Saban, but they look like Lombardi and Parcells compared to what they have now.

Reaction Score
Going into week 5 for them, they have not yet beat a 1-A team (they are 1-3). We will be able to make a direct comparison of their team when they play against Maryland, in order to better judge how we would stack up against them. But I'm looking at the remainder of their schedule, and I'm having a hard time seeing how they are going to get above 3 wins this year. Their fanbase has absolutely dialed it in, based on the attendance numbers that I have heard through the BY. Here is their schedule this year, and you tell me who they are beating:

@Army
@Florida State
@Georgia Tech
Maryland
@Wake Forest
Notre Dame
Virginia Tech
NCState

I have them maybe....MAYBE getting to four wins this year, but that would include them picking up one of the two games against Ga Tech or Maryland, and I don't think they'll get either...

I can answer this one for you. They beat Army, GT, Wake, and NC State. Maryland is improving by leaps and bounds, and I think RE whips them. Stephon Diggs is like another Deon Sanders, and Perry Hills is coming along. And RE knows how to make the most of what he's got. I think BC gets to 5 wins.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I don't see why this is so crazy. Even in our most successful year, we got blown out by Temple. People have unreasonable expectations about this program, imo.

I typed out most of the reasons for my luke-warm optimism going forward, none of which people have addressed. I assume it's because many if not all of them were true.

And I agree 100% with you about the fans' warped perceptions of who we think we are. I think that many believe that we are West Virginia. We aren't. When we get a 4-star recruit, we jump up for joy like we just won the lotto, whereas WVU says, "Yeah, that's about right." And yet I would argue that we have done a great deal with less. Both Edsall and PP have done more with less. And recent victories in the recruiting front, although small, tell me that we are starting to head in the right direction. All of the sudden, the Graham Stewart's and Shakim Phillips' and even Bryce McNeal's of the world want to play here! And that's a good thing. Let's keep on keepin' on...

Reaction Score
Listen, I enjoy your youthful enthusiasm. Remember we all want Uconn to do well. We are all on the same team. But let me point out that the conference situation is a huge factor, not one that you can just dismiss. And yes, some teams win and some lose, it's actually 50/50. But we have bad coaching, "has been" coaching, stubborn, non-adaptive coaching, from a prior century. This is going nowhere fast. Other programs have problems too. None of the programs you mentioned would change places with us.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
I can answer this one for you. They beat Army, GT, Wake, and NC State. Maryland is improving by leaps and bounds, and I think RE whips them. Stephon Diggs is like another Deon Sanders, and Perry Hills is coming along. And RE knows how to make the most of what he's got. I think BC gets to 5 wins.

I think they also lose the NCState game. And that's also assuming that they beat GT. I have them on 4 wins tops, and possibly 3...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Listen, I enjoy your youthful enthusiasm. Remember we all want Uconn to do well. We are all on the same team. But let me point out that the conference situation is a huge factor, not one that you can just dismiss. And yes, some teams win and some lose, it's actually 50/50. But we have bad coaching, "has been" coaching, stubborn, non-adaptive coaching, from a prior century. This is going nowhere fast. Other programs have problems too. None of the programs you mentioned would change places with us.

I enjoy your youthful pessimism. ;) The conference situation can be dismissed, since it is something that nobody at UConn can control. And as for whether BC can beat UConn, even Whaler (who would never be confused with an optimist) is agreeing that BC football would get beat down. If both Whaler and I agree on something, it's pretty much true... :eek:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
But if the wheels completely fall off and we are 3-9, would we not be in just about the same position as BC regarding HC?

Yes, we would be. If we lose the remainder of the season, that is a gigantic problem for us....especially when seeing what happens to this fanbase at 3-2...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom