Northern Arizona Post Game Thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Northern Arizona Post Game Thread

Reaction Score
He mentioned it about someone.
Calhoun is correct. UConn really needs to step-up its NIL program, or we will continue to lose 5-star recruits to the Duke's and Kentucky's of the world.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Karaban, Clingan, Newton, and Spencer did about what you'd expect in a game that was over before tip off. Especially loved Karaban driving with both hands. He didn't have that last season really.

Hack-a-Cling is about to be a thing all year.

Castle looked a little deer in the headlights early with iffy passes but settled in. Great passer, great demeanor, worked hard on defense. He should draw a ton of fouls this year, he's so poised in the lane. FOY runaway favorite IMO.

Johnson was awful on defense first half. Looked much better 2nd half. The big alleyoops won't come so often in Big East play, but he can defend, rebound and rim run. Need 2nd half Samson every game. CANNOT foul at that rate any more.

Diarra looks to be 7th man. Did about what you'd expect.

Solo needs to slow down or his shot will never fall. Set his feet before the pass.

Ross seemed ahead of Stewart in the rotation already which surprised me. Had a nice pass, good effort on defense. Not much else.

Stewart had a couple nice defense stands and some IQ plays on offense. Still see a high IQ guy. Needs to get stronger to play the 4 right now but he'll get there.

Greek and Youssuf seem to be deep bench.
The Karaban left-handed drives and shots are great for opponents game film. Can't just over play him to go right or overplay the J.

As for the newbies, Stewart and Ross looked real comfortable the whole time. Castle looked stiff until the last 10 minutes, then he finished strong.
Ball, I'm hoping it was nerves or adrenaline.

Reaction Score
Karaban, Clingan, Newton, and Spencer did about what you'd expect in a game that was over before tip off. Especially loved Karaban driving with both hands. He didn't have that last season really.

Hack-a-Cling is about to be a thing all year.

Castle looked a little deer in the headlights early with iffy passes but settled in. Great passer, great demeanor, worked hard on defense. He should draw a ton of fouls this year, he's so poised in the lane. FOY runaway favorite IMO.

Johnson was awful on defense first half. Looked much better 2nd half. The big alleyoops won't come so often in Big East play, but he can defend, rebound and rim run. Need 2nd half Samson every game. CANNOT foul at that rate any more.

Diarra looks to be 7th man. Did about what you'd expect.

Solo needs to slow down or his shot will never fall. Set his feet before the pass.

Ross seemed ahead of Stewart in the rotation already which surprised me. Had a nice pass, good effort on defense. Not much else.

Stewart had a couple nice defense stands and some IQ plays on offense. Still see a high IQ guy. Needs to get stronger to play the 4 right now but he'll get there.

Greek and Youssuf seem to be deep bench.
I thought you expected Ross ahead of Jaylin in the rotation?

They both got 9 minutes and Jaylin got in the game before Ross. They'll both play.

Reaction Score
I've missed UConn basketball! My favorite parts -
  • Karaban is looking a lot more offensively polished. Lots of perimeter drives under control with good finishes at the hoop. New career high in scoring!
  • Hurley sent a message to Castle by starting Diarra in the second half, and I love the idea to let Steph play late in the 2nd. He gained confidence in real time and that will carry over
  • Samson had a great dunk, a great block, then 2 fouls in 2 minutes. And then another dunk. And another. And another. Still looked a little out of place on defense, and needs to cut down on the fouls. But man, he could be so good for us..
  • Newton was aggressive getting to the hoop and to the line. Hope he keeps that up all year
Things I didn't love -
  • Clingan still looked pretty clunky in the post early in the game. It's looking like most of his offense will be from pick&roll and cleaning up the boards
  • Love that we got to the line for 37 free throws, but shot 65% on them. Clingan 44% and Castle 63%. Clingan's form still looks pretty decent. Castle's not so much..
  • Early in the game there was a lot of passing (which is good) and a lot of fluid offense (which is good), but nobody was really looking to score and it led to some awkward possessions. Obviously it fixed itself as the game went on
But how much can I complain about a 43 point win? Go Huskies!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Same here. Zero problem for me. We are so fortunate to have a legend involved with our program. Much thanks to Dan for making the program a family affair.

This was the game to do it. A blowout.

They aren't doing this for conference games or the big non-conference games.

Reaction Score
Switching on defense wasn't good, but this is only first game.

Reaction Score
Team balled. Looked really good. Active. Ball moved. Need to make free throws at a higher clip.

Excited to see what they can do this year.

Reaction Score
Spencer needs to take more shots. Donovan will need to improve his foul shooting since he will be at the line a lot. Ball will play better. Johnson gave the fans a glimpse of what he can do. Alex is a polished star now. Very efficient player. Castle will gradually improve and fill the boxscore. Tristen helps the team win.

Reaction Score
When first turned on the game, I saw Castle with his hair tied up. That was the first time I saw him like that and was immediately wondering who the hell is this guard for UConn!

Reaction Score
Sadly the Greek and Singare were the only two who didn’t get a jack a 3

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Spencer needs to take more shots. Donovan will need to improve his foul shooting since he will be at the line a lot. Ball will play better. Johnson gave the fans a glimpse of what he can do. Alex is a polished star now. Very efficient player. Castle will gradually improve and fill the boxscore. Tristen helps the team win.

He deferred to Clingan the first five minutes passing up multiple open shots.
I'm almost certain watching the way the players played coaches wanted to get Clingan going early and then they could put him on the bench.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom