Northeastern Postgame Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Northeastern Postgame Thread

Reaction Score
Those are pretty high expectations for someone that’s never played a college game and never had that kind of pressure. Freshmen are notoriously unre
True but Brady was better prepared fundamentally, especially offensively, than most bigs coming out of HS. Defensively she would need to make consistent progress like any freshman at UConn to increase her PT during the season but Auriemma knows exactly what he has in her on the offensive end. IMO she would have been the first big off the bench behind Edwards and Juhasz this year and will start next season.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
True but Brady was better prepared fundamentally, especially offensively, than most bigs coming out of HS. Defensively she would need to make consistent progress like any freshman at UConn to increase her PT during the season but Auriemma knows exactly what he has in her on the offensive end. IMO she would have been the first big off the bench behind Edwards and Juhasz this year and will start next season.
I agree she’s physically gifted. If there’s an issue, and I’m certainly not wishing any on Ice, the problem would be between her ears.

There have been many kids that have come through the program that have been really good but never quite found their full potential as a college player - Charde Houston, Ann Strother, Kiah Stokes, Christyn Williams…

Reaction Score
Before the season started, I was worried about facing Texas before the season. Not knowing a lot about what we have. To be honest, still don't know what we have going into this matchup with Texas. I do know that what I have seen so far, my worries are lessen. I see multiple scoring options. Players not afraid to step up when another player is struggling. And I see some players that have grown from last year and want all the smoke, especially in the paint. If our girls can handle the physicality and pressure that Texas is going to bring, we are going to be okay and shock some people.
This is about where I am with Monday's game. We play a high energy game, we score in bunches, we throw some overly ambitious passes, we have some defensive lapses, and we are strong in the paint. Vic's game plan is likely to be to try to slow us down. The only question is whether he has the players to do it.

The main question I see is whether Rory, Sonya, and Shaylee can keep up, or have the speed and energy to keep us down. Sonya has played us before so she's got an idea what's coming. I think she's the wild card in this. If she can hit a bunch of 3s like she was capable of at DePaul, it could be trouble for us. Can Nika and Azzi contain Rory? I'm not sure they need to, but I suspect they can. Inês may have to play more to help out with this. On the other side, can they contain Lou and Azzi, and potentially Caroline? I'm inclined to think they can't, but this is the thing we need to find out.

In the front court, can Faye, Jones and Gaston keep up with Dorka, Aaliyah, Ayanna, Aubrey? This will only be their second non-exhibition game, so they're really unknown quantities at this point. They play LSU tonight, so we'll get a peek at what they can do. But judging from the past, I don't believe they'll be able to hang with our front court. Jones is a scorer, and Faye and Gaston are good rebounders. But they haven't had much experience against players like Dorka and Aaliyah, who are strong and quick and can score and rebound. I think they'll be seriously outplayed.

My best guess is that we will win by ~20 pts, we'll outrebound them by 10, Lou and Azzi will each score over 20, and Aaliyah and Dorka will both get double-doubles again. Aubrey and Ayanna will get ~15 mins each, and probably score in double figures. If Caroline plays, she may have to shake a little rust off, but I'd expect her to get double figure points, and a few blocks and steals. Lou in particular will be looking to get some payback, even though Ebo has moved on. She may score 30.

Reaction Score
I was going to post on Amari too and agree with your take. I saw something that I liked, the GRIT as you said, but I also saw A-T-T-I-T-U-D-E. I rewinded twice to make sure it's what I saw when she was making the free throw and NE stepped in the lane as if trying to freeze her. She gave the side eye like please, and drained thr free throw. I loved that. Teams have this misconception that they can't be rough and will try to bully in the paint. The Indiana coach post game comments alluded to this, said she didn't expect the physicality that her team was met with. Hoping to see it more this season.
Thanks--the Girt term I used, is often stated in the current vernacular as Attitude. I'm pleased Ameri performed better. Uconn obviously needs that size, with ATTITUDE.

Reaction Score
I agree she’s physically gifted. If there’s an issue, and I’m certainly not wishing any on Ice, the problem would be between her ears.

There have been many kids that have come through the program that have been really good but never quite found their full potential as a college player - Charde Houston, Ann Strother, Kiah Stokes, Christyn Williams…
I agree that could have been the case for those kids. But I don't think that will be a problem for Brady. Obviously, fundamental preparation for bigs is much different than for guards/wings. Not sure how prepared Houston and Strother were coming out of HS but although she had excellent athletic ability and adequate BB skills, I didn't think Williams saw or thought the game that well when she arrived at UConn but the lack of true CG depth allowed her enough PT to play through mistakes. As for bigs, Brady is much more prepared than Stokes was coming in and part of that is being able to play against top kids her size throughout HS and AAU like Iriafen, Cunningham, Betts etc. Plus someone, (Dad, HS coach?) did a great job teaching her interior footwork, sealing, keeping the ball high, setting quality screens etc. All things that most college freshman bigs are just starting to learn. Brady had this stuff in Jr. High. So I think she can have a very productive career at UConn.

Reaction Score

I agree with Charde, but her background suggests, there were reasons for her mental state/attitude/lack of concentration.
The others, not so much.
My strong feelings for the Kiah Stokes we saw---to me she gave Uconn something they truly needed--with scorers abundance, she defended the basket as no one before or since has done---IN MY OPINION. (not shouting just emphasis). I deal in opinion for fun, facts for business.

Reaction Score
This is about where I am with Monday's game. We play a high energy game, we score in bunches, we throw some overly ambitious passes, we have some defensive lapses, and we are strong in the paint. Vic's game plan is likely to be to try to slow us down. The only question is whether he has the players to do it.

The main question I see is whether Rory, Sonya, and Shaylee can keep up, or have the speed and energy to keep us down. Sonya has played us before so she's got an idea what's coming. I think she's the wild card in this. If she can hit a bunch of 3s like she was capable of at DePaul, it could be trouble for us. Can Nika and Azzi contain Rory? I'm not sure they need to, but I suspect they can. Inês may have to play more to help out with this. On the other side, can they contain Lou and Azzi, and potentially Caroline? I'm inclined to think they can't, but this is the thing we need to find out.

In the front court, can Faye, Jones and Gaston keep up with Dorka, Aaliyah, Ayanna, Aubrey? This will only be their second non-exhibition game, so they're really unknown quantities at this point. They play LSU tonight, so we'll get a peek at what they can do. But judging from the past, I don't believe they'll be able to hang with our front court. Jones is a scorer, and Faye and Gaston are good rebounders. But they haven't had much experience against players like Dorka and Aaliyah, who are strong and quick and can score and rebound. I think they'll be seriously outplayed.

My best guess is that we will win by ~20 pts, we'll outrebound them by 10, Lou and Azzi will each score over 20, and Aaliyah and Dorka will both get double-doubles again. Aubrey and Ayanna will get ~15 mins each, and probably score in double figures. If Caroline plays, she may have to shake a little rust off, but I'd expect her to get double figure points, and a few blocks and steals. Lou in particular will be looking to get some payback, even though Ebo has moved on. She may score 30.
I certain hope You are correct. I like all of what you state.

Reaction Score

No, they play Louisiana- Lafayette tonight in Austin. Big difference.

Reaction Score
The more Lou plays at this level of success, the more she will endear herself to Geno. I join other posters here in expressing my enjoyment for what I'm seeing from her. Lou has been a very pleasant breath of fresh air for us. Before I "crown" her (A Denny Green reference, and still one of my all time favorite rants), like Skip Bayless says, I need to see more. These first two games were against weak less talented teams.

I suggested that UConn would pick up against Northeastern where they left off against Kutztown, I was right. One media columnist wrote that Northeastern was nothing more than another exhibition game for UConn. The final score bore that out. By the time UConn returns from their 2-game west coast road trip to Oregon for the Phil Knight showcase (5 games into the season, 2 against top 10 teams), the jury will be in, and we'll have a verdict. :cool:
I suggest LOU has shown to Geno all he needs to see. However, you and I know Geno may see things he'd rather not have in some games (for the life of me I can't think of what that may be) but Geno, is always evaluating.
I too am pleased with Lou's abilities. I was one who was a "hold-out" on her ability to play at this level--all now says, she was all Geno and her former coach said she was.
Right now, Lou is the player they need. Long range, short range, drives, passes, Chemistry is good and getting better.
I enjoyed this ENTIRE team. I was a bit not thrilled with the 8 fouls on the Bigs, but both are still learning.

Reaction Score
I think we can slow down a dominant big. I’ve said it before: we don’t need to shutdown someone like Boston or Morrow. We just have to make their double-double not matter to end result. We’ve won multiple NCs without having that dominant 6’5” player. Well, we have a couple of bigs, and several super-athletic 4s. I think this combination can do the job. If only Jemelle can impart a little of her ferocity to them.
I agree, Geno has taken on bigger and more talented than Boston (she is very good) and made it difficult to get the ball to those "bigs". Shave a few points from Boston can be the difference in W or L. With Azzi, Lou, Edwards, Griffin, (hopefully Ayanna) SC will be a fun game. But there are a lot of games to be played and a lot of LEARNING to be done and some very good teams to play before then. I'm not concerned with a loss here and there ( I don't like em) as long as there is something learned or that can be taught, progression.

Reaction Score
I agree, Geno has taken on bigger and more talented than Boston (she is very good) and made it difficult to get the ball to those "bigs". Shave a few points from Boston can be the difference in W or L. With Azzi, Lou, Edwards, Griffin, (hopefully Ayanna) SC will be a fun game. But there are a lot of games to be played and a lot of LEARNING to be done and some very good teams to play before then. I'm not concerned with a loss here and there ( I don't like em) as long as there is something learned or that can be taught, progression.
Frankly, Uconn needs to prove they can play with SC from the standpoint of toughness, mentally and physically. They lost by 15 and 16 respectively last year and were absolutely dominated on the boards, 91-49 in the 2 games. Bueckers was Uconn‘s leading rebounder with 11 in the 2 games, Edwards had 5 total in both games, Juhasz only played in the 1st game and had 3. Anyway you slice it, those are getting manhandled numbers. On top of that, Uconn had 1 more TO than assist in each of those games. SC returns 4 starters, Uconn 2. I would think Uconn would be very happy if it is a fun game, being objective.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
What impressed me the most about Azzi was that she didn’t let her poor 3-pt shooting impact her game. She did exactly what Geno preaches: there are many ways to affect the game. She stayed calm, kept shooting, and showed a level of confidence she didn’t have last year.

Geno is building her up beautifully. He knows he needs her to play well. That’s a lot of pressure for Azzi, but he is growing her confidence. She’s doing a lot of the media interviews now which shows how much he trusts her.

Reaction Score
At 28:30 of the full game replay, there is a scramble, UConn gets the ball and passes to Dorka, who scores on a beautiful drop step and spin around bank shot. I don't remember her being so skilled last year, if she keeps developing that shot, she will really be a tremendous force down low. At other times, though, she did get swallowed up by smaller opponents, so she has some work still to do.

Reaction Score
Aubrey, Ayanna and Amari, the triple A are much better than I expected....
What they did this summer; we hoped Aubrey would return with a 15 footer(or better) and Amari would mature; we saw her game faces ; Ayanna made a statement, lead, follow or get out of the way. Their improvement and committment made me smile. Now, if nobody goes down-------.

Reaction Score
Frankly, Uconn needs to prove they can play with SC from the standpoint of toughness, mentally and physically. They lost by 15 and 16 respectively last year and were absolutely dominated on the boards, 91-49 in the 2 games. Bueckers was Uconn‘s leading rebounder with 11 in the 2 games, Edwards had 5 total in both games, Juhasz only played in the 1st game and had 3. Anyway you slice it, those are getting manhandled numbers. On top of that, Uconn had 1 more TO than assist in each of those games. SC returns 4 starters, Uconn 2. I would think Uconn would be very happy if it is a fun game, being objective.
IMO more importantly they have to learn to beat elite teams without Paige Bueckers. The heck with SC. There's a lot more other games that also are needed that will probably be nailbiters.

Reaction Score
Watching the gamecast for the Texas-Louisiana Lafayette game and it looks like Rory isn’t playing. I hope this doesn’t mean she’s injured.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Watching the gamecast for the Texas-Louisiana Lafayette game and it looks like Rory isn’t playing. I hope this doesn’t mean she’s injured.
She is slightly injured and is described as day-to-day. Something with her leg (reportedly she's in a boot).

I hope she plays on Monday.

Reaction Score
She is slightly injured and is described as day-to-day. Something with her leg (reportedly she's in a boot).

I hope she plays on Monday.
Me too. Without her, I’m not sure the game will be particularly competitive. She’s one of the great D1 players right now.

I mean, I don’t think they have anyone who can contain Aaliyah, or Aubrey. Their main hope is outplaying our backcourt. It’s not a great hope, but that’s what I see. And without Rory, I can’t see it happening at all.

Reaction Score
Lots of positives. This team played like the coherent veteran team that they are. No letdown from no ONO.

Juhasz and Edwards look the most comfortable and effective together on the court that I've seen them.

Aubrey was very strong. So happy that that young lady is playing seemingly without physical hindrance.

Senechal is very impressive, not just because of her sure-shot threes, but because she plays as though she's been playing with these UConn teammates forever!

The only ominous feature was that we played just seven players, essentially. DeBerry and Ines came in for a few meaningless minutes toward the end. But our starters and two off the bench played heavy minutes in what was a blowout. This is when one hopes that the starters are sent to the bench to rest. I recall that Maya used to play barely 20 minutes per game, relaxing for the rest of it on the bench.

Hope Ducharme recovers quickly and completely. But once again we're seeing rather opaque explanations of injuries from UConn. A "sore neck" that goes on this long is not just a "sore neck." This sounds like a disc problem, perhaps a pinched nerve. And if that's the case, surgery could be on the horizon.

But this is a very efficient, very well trained team whose players play with seamless precision as though they've been playing together since middle school.
I hate to speculate here, but to me it's obviously more than a simple stiff neck. With a simple stiff neck you take 2 Advils, rub some Icy Hot on it, and you're good to go. You don't sit out 2 games. Nevertheless, I'm hoping all the best for Caroline.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom