Non-Key Tweets | Page 918 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
I'll always take potshots at the Big 10. They talk such a big game about their institutions, how great they are in sports, and that they have all the money yet where are the championships?

I'm no fan of the ACC but they win championships. Big East wins championships in basketball. Big 10 always flops when it matters.
Big 10 definitely needs to step it up on the national stage when it counts- especially in BB but keep hoping this is the year- just wrote 2 tuition checks to Big Ten school this week...

Reaction Score
If the base payout is 250 million, no one is leaving.
I think it really depends on how the subscribers are calculated. Are they talking about every single new sign up? Or is there going to be a special PAC-12 package that you sign up for and they get a cut of it?

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I think it really depends on how the subscribers are calculated. Are they talking about every single new sign up? Or is there going to be a special PAC-12 package that you sign up for and they get a cut of it?
That's not even the point. It is assumed that 25 million per school was the minimum threshold to keep schools in the league. If they are starting at that, they will likely stay together. The only issue now becomes how many games are sub-licensed to FOX or ESPN.

Reaction Score
That's not even the point. It is assumed that 25 million per school was the minimum threshold to keep schools in the league. If they are starting at that, they will likely stay together. The only issue now becomes how many games are sub-licensed to FOX or ESPN.
I can see how they would make it make sense. Especially if they think streaming on a service like AppleTV is the future, maybe take a cut now to have a better working relationship in the future. There are a lot of unknowns though:

how long is the contract for? what happens if Apple doesn't get the return they were looking for? What happens if/when Oregon and Washington leave? I'm sure they've been working through this and I doubt it's the first time they've seen the numbers. But it seems like an awful lot to consider with a supposed one week timeline

Reaction Score
Well the guy is calculating 12 schools for the base payout. Was it reported that apple was requiring 12 schools?

Reaction Score

Hd Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Well...really all that has been said was that they will do what it takes to be competitive...explore all options...

Much like UConn had to do as they were drowning in the AAC.
I have no issue with FSU exploring their options. I’m not sure that publicly calling that fact out was the most neighborly move. I really don’t recall UConn making a statement that the AAC contract couldn’t hold them back from moving on etc. I do recall almost the entire AAC submitting paperwork to join the B12 a few years back.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
Swaim is full of ish

It's not happening today, or there were would be another Arizona board meeting scheduled for today (I believe they require 24 hour notice, but maybe there's such a thing as an "emergency session").

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Crazy how some folks value mediocre football schools over UConn. We can get our Football team to .500 pretty quickly. UConn brings National Championships in Basketball and other sports.

It doesn't have anything to do with program quality. Colorado > Arizona > Connecticut when it comes to market value. UConn either has not made the sale that its market is bigger than just Connecticut, or the draw of two growing western states is just too strong.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
FSU BOT Chair had a live interview this afternoon...some excerpts.

“When I say we have a handle on the Grant of Rights, we understand the document very well,” Collins said. “We understand our position on that document, we understand the legal argument in that document, we understand who the parties would be under that document, and we believe we have a very good handle on what our risks are under that document. And what our opportunities are under that document.

“That’s the least of my worries based on what we know. … We understand it. We have gotten a lot of counsel on that document. That will not be the document that keeps us from taking action. And I’ll leave it at that.”

“It’s a critical decision,” Collins said. “And it’s one of those decisions where you can’t be afraid to make a tough decision, even if you don’t know exactly how it’s going to turn out. … I think the leadership in the university is willing to make a tough decision and take whatever comes from it. What that is today? I’m not going to tell you, but we’ve done a lot of work. And I would say we’ve done a lot of work going back to July (of 2022).”
This goes to what I said the other day. FSU is only looking at the SEC so at present the GOR has no real effect on them.

Reaction Score
I have no issue with FSU exploring their options. I’m not sure that publicly calling that fact out was the most neighborly move. I really don’t recall UConn making a statement that the AAC contract couldn’t hold them back from moving on etc. I do recall almost the entire AAC submitting paperwork to join the B12 a few years back.

It really wasn't that public...the Chair was being interviewed by Warchant staff in a live stream secured behind the Warchant paywall...the Warchant staff asked probing questions and he answered...of course, these few paragraphs were just part of a 45 minute live stream that touched on a lot.

Reaction Score
A
I feel like that is the first time a national football columnist has made the argument that conf need members for reliable Ws to bolster the resumes of the tops schools. To me this is exactly why Rutty, Northwestern, Vandy, etc will never be pushed out (instead they will just change the media contract to tilt cash towards the winners). The top of the conf needs wins.

Due to math, a conference will always have bottom feeders in any given year or the entire conference will be at 500. Parity is of little value for a conference looking to send multiple teams to the CFP. You need and want teams to consistently lose in conference, just not every year. This is one reason bad teams in the Px need to schedule wins out of conference.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Well the guy is calculating 12 schools for the base payout. Was it reported that apple was requiring 12 schools?
New schools would get severely reduced payouts, and it wouldn't surprise me if OSU and WSU were forced to as well.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 doesn't invite Utah, the Utes are screwed. I don't see the B1G inviting them. Barely a decade in the promised land and it all could come crashing down.

The Lord Giveth and the Lord Taketh Away - Job 1:21

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The only way I can see to break the GOR would be for the state government to invalidate it. Governments can do some things legally that private entities cannot. Could any lawyers weigh in?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom