Non-Key Tweets | Page 857 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Ultimately, it may not be Yormack that decides which program/s to add. The media will tell him who they will pay for at full share and who they won't.

Yormack is a basketball guy wh wants to bet on the future value of basketball to the media. The media partner will be the one shoving in the chips.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this makes total sense...as long as you can show us the PAC team that gives Yormark the NE/NYC presence he's obviously seeking. Which you can't...so actually, no, your post doesn't make sense.

Here's the thing about the schools in the current PAC...they really aren't that valuable. If they were they'd be getting at least the same media deal the Big 12 got. They're not getting this deal because west coast teams simply don't command the same eyeballs as comparable midwest and east coast teams. Adding PAC schools would certainly feel good to Big 12 twitter folks because they can puff their chests out about poaching another power conference. And while the perception that brings could be something Yormark might value, he doesn't need to grab all of the PAC teams looking to leave in order to achieve this perception. One PAC school will be enough for that...

UConn was a power conference team a decade ago. Had UConn moved out of the Big East along with or instead of any of BC, Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, or Louisville, UConn would have bever been considered a G5 team. Being in the American and now current Big East for a decade created that perception. But a smart executive like Yormark isn't going to let that perception dictate his decisions. He's not going to rank Colorado, Zona, ASU, Cal, Stanford, Utah, Oregon, Oregon St., Washington, and WSU ahead of UConn just because UConn spent some time in the G5. UConn profiles like a power conference school, and you can make the argument UConn is a better add than any of the current PAC schools. In fact, a number of those PAC schools - even the ones that may be rumored to the B1G - might find themselves in an eventual G5-ish merger with the mountain west. This is what happened to UConn...who's to say it can't happen to Washington?
Is not the counter argument we were a P6 for a very short time and have spent most of our history as less than a G5?

I like our chances to get picked up, but I’m not rewriting history to do so.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Yes. but they could also want to make a final decision and announce new additions at once. It would seem disorganized and unprofessional to add schools one at a time over the course of a 6 month period. It looks far stronger to announce your new schools together and then claim you got exactly the ones you wanted all along.

So the Big 12 let UConn cross over the beginning of a new fiscal year because they thought it would look stronger to add everyone at once? Sure.

If UConn was at the top of the list, UConn would have been added already. We clearly are not. If the Big 12 thought they couldn't get any schools that are better, they would also have added UConn. They clearly think Pac 12 schools will start heading for the exits if they don't get the media deal they want, so it is worth it for the Big 12 to wait.

Yet 90% of this board has been rooting for the Pac 12 to fail, despite the fact that outcome would make a whole bunch of schools available that are more attractive to the Big 12 than UConn. People need to think this stuff through.

The only sliver of good news is that the Pac 12 is still holding together, so there must be some reason for them to think that they might get a media deal that works. Anyone that wants UConn to go to the Big 12 better hope that some kind of decent media deal comes through for the Pac 12.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this makes total sense...as long as you can show us the PAC team that gives Yormark the NE/NYC presence he's obviously seeking. Which you can't...so actually, no, your post doesn't make sense.

Here's the thing about the schools in the current PAC...they really aren't that valuable. If they were they'd be getting at least the same media deal the Big 12 got. They're not getting this deal because west coast teams simply don't command the same eyeballs as comparable midwest and east coast teams. Adding PAC schools would certainly feel good to Big 12 twitter folks because they can puff their chests out about poaching another power conference. And while the perception that brings could be something Yormark might value, he doesn't need to grab all of the PAC teams looking to leave in order to achieve this perception. One PAC school will be enough for that...

UConn was a power conference team a decade ago. Had UConn moved out of the Big East along with or instead of any of BC, Cuse, Pitt, WVU, Rutgers, or Louisville, UConn would have bever been considered a G5 team. Being in the American and now current Big East for a decade created that perception. But a smart executive like Yormark isn't going to let that perception dictate his decisions. He's not going to rank Colorado, Zona, ASU, Cal, Stanford, Utah, Oregon, Oregon St., Washington, and WSU ahead of UConn just because UConn spent some time in the G5. UConn profiles like a power conference school, and you can make the argument UConn is a better add than any of the current PAC schools. In fact, a number of those PAC schools - even the ones that may be rumored to the B1G - might find themselves in an eventual G5-ish merger with the mountain west. This is what happened to UConn...who's to say it can't happen to Washington?
Agreed - would just add that WA and OR are ahead of the rest of the PAC by a pretty huge margin.

Reaction Score
So the Big 12 let UConn cross over the beginning of a new fiscal year because they thought it would look stronger to add everyone at once? Sure.

If UConn was at the top of the list, UConn would have been added already. We clearly are not. If the Big 12 thought they couldn't get any schools that are better, they would also have added UConn. They clearly think Pac 12 schools will start heading for the exits if they don't get the media deal they want, so it is worth it for the Big 12 to wait.

Yet 90% of this board has been rooting for the Pac 12 to fail, despite the fact that outcome would make a whole bunch of schools available that are more attractive to the Big 12 than UConn. People need to think this stuff through.

The only sliver of good news is that the Pac 12 is still holding together, so there must be some reason for them to think that they might get a media deal that works. Anyone that wants UConn to go to the Big 12 better hope that some kind of decent media deal comes through for the Pac 12.
It's a double-edged sword. I think the only way UConn gets added is if there is a PAC school (or 3) to tag along. But doing that means the PAC is all but done. So either we get in with the PAC defectors or not at all.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This position is completely devoid of logic. There will be a PAC 12 stampede for the exit if these reports are true. UConn will not make the cut.
B12 is not adding anyone. Not a single school, unless they get some Pac 12 schools. I've said it before and it remains true, we need to hope it is an odd number of schools. That's our shot. The only one with the B12.

Reaction Score
In addition to reading articles, he provides acurate information. I think it’s time to admit that he definitely has some connections. The thing I like about him is he admits when he’s wrong and when he does not know something.
I like Flugaur. I think he's more entertaining that a lot of them. Has more personality than John Kurtz and he's not obnoxious like Monty. Seems like a decent guy. As you said, he has some connections and admits when he's wrong. When he first started tweeting about realignment over 10 years ago, he talked a lot about UConn. It was then that I found out that he worked for Burton's company, (yes, the same Burton whose name is on UConn's football building), so it seemed possible that he had some actual information about UConn. I don't think that now, but I think he's entertaining, especially his live shows where people call in.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
In addition to reading articles, he provides acurate information. I think it’s time to admit that he definitely has some connections. The thing I like about him is he admits when he’s wrong and when he does not know something.

Time to do some relegation on these threads. If Swaim or Flug becomes key tweet material, a key tweeter needs to be bumped to non-key status.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Time to do some relegation on these threads. If Swaim or Flug becomes key tweet material, a key tweeter needs to be bumped to non-key status.
I’d like to be able to do that w/ some posters ;)
I'd love to be able to do it w/ some Mods. <emoji>.
Awkward Jesse Pinkman GIF by Breaking Bad

Reaction Score
They are not taking 4 corner schools and putting 5 in the west with BYU.
If you believe the reports of 4 west and 4 east as the goal; UConn is the only mentioned school in the eastern time (joining UCF, WVU & Cincy); while BYU would be joined by up to 3 new joiners. Colorado & Arizona the obvious ones; reportedly both Utah & ASU would prefer to stay in the Pac remnant so long as the other schools (Stanford & Cal; Oregon & Washington) are there.

Of course Yormark also said that he likes 14.. with various reports of Colorado & UConn being favored, we'll see though how that that winds up if both Colorado & Arizona are chomping at the bit for an invite.

Ultimately rule #1 is always in play for UConn.. it's fun to dream, but until it happens that's all it is.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
Agreed - and I don't get the vibe that Utah nor ASU want anything to do with the Big12 anyway.
I agree. I think ASU is holding out for the Big10. Whether they will get in is beyond my ability to predict.

Reaction Score
Watched an interesting take regarding R & D research at top institutions. UConn would rank near the top of Big 12 for academic research spending which would be another reason UConn would be a good fit for expansion outside only athletics.
Unfortunately, based on previous experience, academics have proven meaningless for UConn in conference realignment.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, based on previous experience, academics have proven meaningless for UConn in conference realignment.
Everything is meaningless. There are no metrics or standards that matter. It's just a good ol' boys club and they know who they want in it and more importantly who they don't. That's OK though I won't be thinking about conference realignment as the nation watches UConn basketball cut down the nets again in April. Maybe this April we'll even get to do it twice.

Reaction Score
Is that a legit tweet from Greg Flugaur about Colorado joining the Big 12 tomorrow?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Is that a legit tweet from Greg Flugaur about Colorado joining the Big 12 tomorrow?
No clue if it's legitimate but a Friday afternoon announcement makes sense if it is happening.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom