Non-Key Tweets | Page 854 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
All true, but none of that supports Aresco as being a quality president, in fact just the opposite. He never created a situation in which it was desirable to be in that conference. Now, if you were asserting that his attention was only to create "a waystation" I think you are revising history.
He showed up to a situation where he had absolutely no leverage. NONE, and everyone knew it. He may not have made lemonade out of lemons, but he didn't make p p either. I think he has done a fine job under the circumstances.

Reaction Score
So every conference is a failure except Big and SEC?
Saying Aresxo failed is so dumb.
The AAC became the defacto 6th best league. He got the first non P5 school to the playoffs.

What else could that guy do? It’s not his fault UConn’s time in his league paralleled a football divestment and a tailspin by the basketball program.

Had Ucon been in BE for basketball those same years, I doubt things would have been different.
The networks and the conference membership ultimately decided who was worth what. No batch of statistics or dog and pony presentations would have changed that. Winning might have changed that for us, but we went old school and and floundered, then went PT Barnum and RE2 and fell off a cliff. Bad timing and not enough friends in the club. Are we ultimately worth a lot? Seems that way but there's always that networking you have to be good at.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He showed up to a situation where he had absolutely no leverage. NONE, and everyone knew it. He may not have made lemonade out of lemons, but he didn't make p p either. I think he has done a fine job under the circumstances.
No, he was the hotshot CBS Sports executive who had the expertise to get us a great deal... that never materialized.

Reaction Score
No, he was the hotshot CBS Sports executive who had the expertise to get us a great deal... that never materialized.
You weren't looking for a commissioner. You were looking for a miracle worker. That wasn't in the jon description.

Reaction Score
It was a decent conference performance Wise . The networks had already paid up for prime time P5. I imagine he got the best of G5 but really did not have leverage to do much better. Will be interesting to see what the PAC gets. Will they be satisfied? Or are they thinking they should have and are worth more?

CL82

Reaction Score
You weren't looking for a commissioner. You were looking for a miracle worker. That wasn't in the jon description.
No, I was looking for someone who could actually do the job successfully. By any metric whatsoever Aresco did not.

Reaction Score
No, I was looking for someone who could actually do the job successfully. By any metric whatsoever Aresco did not.
Where I think Aresco failed, was not recognizing the degree to which the basketball schools were against the final few 'football' members. They were good (although not thrilled) with the UCF, Memphis, SMU, Houston all sports additions. Then started to panic with Tulane coming in for all sports (replacing Rutgers) and were apoplectic about the thought of ECU (and the shift from Louisville's RPI to ECU).

Ultimately the split worked out for the best for everyone, except UConn... Rule #1 of conference realignment at work.

CL82

Reaction Score
Where I think Aresco failed, was not recognizing the degree to which the basketball schools were against the final few 'football' members. They were good (although not thrilled) with the UCF, Memphis, SMU, Houston all sports additions. Then started to panic with Tulane coming in for all sports (replacing Rutgers) and were apoplectic about the thought of ECU (and the shift from Louisville's RPI to ECU).

Ultimately the split worked out for the best for everyone, except UConn... Rule #1 of conference realignment at work.
Largely agree. I'm not sure that Aresco gets any credit for the fact that institutions are doing better because they left the American.

Reaction Score
Now Pac-12 mouthpiece is touting Memphis because he's trying protect his precious Pac-12. What a joke. Memphis is not close to additive to Big 12.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Aresco was just kind of there as commissioner. He was not the reason that the American was so disastrous for UConn. The American was a terrible fit for UConn, which everyone should have been able to see before it happened.

I kind of agree with @businesslawyer that a commissioner can only run the organization he has. There is a meaningful possibility that the SEC and Big 10 Commissioners are making huge mistakes right now but everyone thinks they are brilliant because those two leagues happen to be sitting on big TV contracts.

Reaction Score

-> FARGO — American Athletic Conference commissioner Mike Aresco made clear multiple times that he was not referring to any specific schools during our phone conversation last week, that he was only speaking in generalities. I requested an interview with Aresco to discuss the longshot possibility of North Dakota State joining the AAC in the next round of college conference realignment and the affable Aresco agreed, with the understanding that he wouldn't answer questions specifically about NDSU.

"We don't discuss teams that might have an interest in our conference and where the interest might be reciprocated," Aresco said. "That said, I will say this: They have an outstanding program at the FCS level and it's been shown that FCS schools can move up and be successful in FBS. That's been shown by multiple schools. James Madison, Coastal Carolina, Appalachian State a few years ago. "You've got a nice football program up there." <-

-> That's a lot of "mights" to a moonshot scenario that already includes a ton of "ifs" and "buts," but if NDSU wants to move from the Football Championship Subdivision to the higher level FBS, the AAC is one of only a few leagues that would be a possibility. The Mountain West Conference and Conference USA would be others. Joining the AAC seems the most remote.

For what it's worth, Bison head coach Matt Entz is on the record advocating for a spot in the AAC. "Just in terms of football, I think our best fit is the American," Entz told The Athletic web site in January. "From a geographical standpoint, there are (four) in Texas, plus Tulsa. Those are in the Central time zone and (others are) in the East, so it would fit for our fans and TV. From a travel standpoint, flying to Dallas is just as fast as Youngstown or Macomb, Illinois." <-

-> On whether the conference would consider adding another football-only member, Aresco responds: “It's not something we would rule out by any means. You don't rule out anything, but right now we are focused on our incoming schools and we really don't have any expansion plans at the moment. But you never know." <-

Reaction Score
Tired Over It GIF by Men in Kilts: A Roadtrip with Sam and Graham

Reaction Score
I didn't say it was his fault. What I said was we were a peer conference to the P5. Comparing us to the G5 without acknowledging that is misleading.

But being "peer" conferences when you only have two years left is ignoring the fact that the only benefit in that is money. You can't build a recruiting class or a reputation when you're not truly a peer conference after being publicly stripped of your status amd only maintaining it in order to run out a contract. And make no mistake, once the AQ status was taken away it was pretty much common knowledge that the Big East wasn't going to get invited to the new club.

CL82

Reaction Score
But being "peer" conferences when you only have two years left is ignoring the fact that the only benefit in that is money. You can't build a recruiting class or a reputation when you're not truly a peer conference after being publicly stripped of your status amd only maintaining it in order to run out a contract. And make no mistake, once the AQ status was taken away it was pretty much common knowledge that the Big East wasn't going to get invited to the new club.

I'm not so sure that things were as certain as you seem to believe in hindsight. Aresco failed therefore there was no way for him to succeed isn't an argument, it's an excuse. His supposed expertise was in media deals and yet the American was barely earning more for all sports than the Big East was for basketball only. That's hardly a testament to his negotiating acumen.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
CW, ION and streaming. If that’s not a steaming pile of poo I don’t know what is.
Hey, being the lead in for the CW's Flash is a big responsibility!

Reaction Score
I'm not so sure that things were as certain as you seem to believe in hindsight. Aresco failed therefore there was no way for him to succeed isn't an argument, it's an excuse. His supposed expertise was in media deals and yet the American was barely earning more for all sports than the Big East was for basketball only. That's hardly a testament to his negotiating acumen.
Every team I. His conference was begging for a P5 invite when he arrived. What leverage did he have?

CL82

Reaction Score
Every team I. His conference was begging for a P5 invite when he arrived. What leverage did he have?
For a television contract? His supposed area of competence? Content, pretty much like everyone else. Again, it's always easier to come up with excuses for failure than strategies for success. You seem content with the former.

Reaction Score
For a television contract? His supposed area of competence? Content, pretty much like everyone else. Again, it's always easier to come up with excuses for failure than strategies for success. You seem content with the former.
I am content with my rational grasp of reality. Why would a network pay top dollar for games from a conference when no one knew which teams would be in the conference the following year? All content isn't equal.

Apparently he was so bad at his job the university presidents have refused to replace him. I guess they are in the same boat of contentment I am riding. But, OK.

Reaction Score
He probably did okay with the situation he was given. Difficult to see a much better outcome. As a UConn fan, he did no favors for UConn and we are better off without him.

CL82

Reaction Score
I am content with my rational grasp of reality. Why would a network pay top dollar for games from a conference when no one knew which teams would be in the conference the following year? All content isn't equal.

Apparently he was so bad at his job the university presidents have refused to replace him. I guess they are in the same boat of contentment I am riding. But, OK.
Apparently he was so outstanding at his job that every single university wanted to flee the conference at its earliest opportunity. Think about that.

Reaction Score
Apparently he was so outstanding at his job that every single university wanted to flee the conference at its earliest opportunity. Think about that.
That was true from the beginning....and that is the point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom