Non-Key Tweets | Page 646 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Dennis Dodd‏@dennisdoddcbs
A case for Houston in the @Big12Conference. Recruiting slipping in the conference.
The Big 12's biggest concern should be its football talent drain

Frank the Tank ‏@frankthetank111 · 1h1 hour ago
Interesting argument, but I think it makes more of a case for Cincinnati/UCF/USF/Memphis for new recruiting regions.

AZ‏@azescobar1
@frankthetank111 @dennisdoddcbs @Big12Conference -
Memphis and UCF now leap frogged UConn?

I wouldn't say that. The column was about recruiting and those are the candidates in top recruiting areas.

Many reasons why UConn would be attractive to Big 12 (academics, TV market, brand), but recruiting isn't one of them

I've long thought that Big 12 is too reliant on state of Texas (whose growth masks poor demographics elsewhere).

Houston's argument for Big 12 is less about recruiting and more about (a) shoring up its TV market and (b) politics.
The Recruiting agrument is extremely lame
It denies any knowledge of geography
I. New Jersey is a top recruiting ground
2. Penn is a good recruiting ground
These recruiting grounds are between a 2 hr to 5 hr drive from where UConn plays football
If your a Kansas State Team and you want to recruit a Player from this area the fact that UConn is a short distance away and you play them certainly is a recruiting tool.
The whole state of CT being 0nly 5,000 sq miles makes its proximity to adjacent states something westerners have a hard time dealing with.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
This schlit is amazing...

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN 2 hours ago
Cincinnati graduate - and Ohio State coach - Urban Meyer says Bearcats "should be in the Big 12
Urban Meyer says Cincinnati 'should be in the Big 12'

Dooley@DooleyMcStitch9 mins ago
While we are reporting on irrelevant endorsements from coaches: Jim Calhoun says UConn should be in the Big 12 too.

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN 9 mins ago
@DooleyMcStitch sorry. Only consider current coaches

Dooley@DooleyMcStitch 4 mins ago
In related news, *current* coaches Kevin Ollie and Bob Diaco think UConn should be in the Big 12.

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN 2 mins ago
@DooleyMcStitch I guess they’re in then. Congrats

Maybe ESPN EE Jim Calhoun should take ESPN EE McMurphy for a walk to the cafeteria one day..
I'm not so sure Diaco is on board after his comments about travel to the B12 schools.

Reaction Score
I've tried to make sense of the recruiting footprint for years, and it still doesn't hold water. Miami, Texas, and Florida don't need Rutgers in the B12, ACC or SEC to go into NJ and recruit players. Penn St and OSU didn't need them in the B1G, to go in there and recruit players. If anyone has it, I'd like to see the data showing they got any sort of bump in NJ after adding RU.

A school like Texas and Oklahoma can come into CT to recruit and it's not just UConn they'll be challenging. It's Michigan, Penn State, and (unfortunately) BCU, Saracuse, and some other programs. The argument is Houston opens up new recruiting ground? Does UT have difficulty recruiting Texas? Does Oklahoma? Kansas struggles recruiting because they've been terrible for decades, not because they don't get to play 2 games in Cincinnati every 4 years.

I'd be surprised if a player picked Texas over Michigan because it came down to playing against UConn twice in his career. I guess it could happen, but in the list of factors driving realignment, this has to be near the bottom.

Reaction Score
I've tried to make sense of the recruiting footprint for years, and it still doesn't hold water. Miami, Texas, and Florida don't need Rutgers in the B12, ACC or SEC to go into NJ and recruit players. Penn St and OSU didn't need them in the B1G, to go in there and recruit players. If anyone has it, I'd like to see the data showing they got any sort of bump in NJ after adding RU.

A school like Texas and Oklahoma can come into CT to recruit and it's not just UConn they'll be challenging. It's Michigan, Penn State, and (unfortunately) BCU, Saracuse, and some other programs. The argument is Houston opens up new recruiting ground? Does UT have difficulty recruiting Texas? Does Oklahoma? Kansas struggles recruiting because they've been terrible for decades, not because they don't get to play 2 games in Cincinnati every 4 years.

I'd be surprised if a player picked Texas over Michigan because it came down to playing against UConn twice in his career. I guess it could happen, but in the list of factors driving realignment, this has to be near the bottom.

I agree. Especially with most conferences now looking for divisions. If UConn were in the B12 in a "north division" they would only host a "south division" team (Texas) once every 4 years. So really a whole crop of potential high school football studs could go without ever seeing Texas play live, unless he took a trip to Austin.

EDIT: not saying we're a recruiting hotbed. Cincy would have that same situation arise.

Reaction Score
McMurphy and Dodd hate that there is expansion for whatever reason. They also seem to hate anytime UConn is linked to anything. It's like UConn is "beneath" them.
That's why Gresh loves to have them on as guests. They reinforce his UConn angst.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I'm not so sure Diaco is on board after his comments about travel to the B12 schools.

Ssshhhhhhh...McMurphy doesn't know that.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
This schlit is amazing...

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN 2 hours ago
Cincinnati graduate - and Ohio State coach - Urban Meyer says Bearcats "should be in the Big 12
Urban Meyer says Cincinnati 'should be in the Big 12'

Dooley@DooleyMcStitch9 mins ago
While we are reporting on irrelevant endorsements from coaches: Jim Calhoun says UConn should be in the Big 12 too.

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN 9 mins ago
@DooleyMcStitch sorry. Only consider current coaches

Dooley@DooleyMcStitch 4 mins ago
In related news, *current* coaches Kevin Ollie and Bob Diaco think UConn should be in the Big 12.

Brett McMurphy@McMurphyESPN 2 mins ago
@DooleyMcStitch I guess they’re in then. Congrats

Maybe ESPN EE Jim Calhoun should take ESPN EE McMurphy for a walk to the cafeteria one day..

Don't worry guys, I've reached out to Kirk Ferentz for his thoughts since he meets all of Brett McMurphy's 'official' requirements. Still no word whether or not current GMs and current college ADs count or not. We want to make sure we are playing by the rules here, of course.

Reaction Score
I agree. Especially with most conferences now looking for divisions. If UConn were in the B12 in a "north division" they would only host a "south division" team (Texas) once every 4 years. So really a whole crop of potential high school football studs could go without ever seeing Texas play live, unless he took a trip to Austin.

EDIT: not saying we're a recruiting hotbed. Cincy would have that same situation arise.

But, from a TV money viewpoint, I can see Texas (and Oklahoma) wanting the opportunity to play UConn in the NYC and Boston TV markets at the Rent/MetLife/Yankee/Gillette at least every other year if not more.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
His comment, when you really look at it, was about travel from UConn to BYU. It's 2000 from Storrs to Provo. Big12 teams are considerably closer. There's an insane thread about that quote on the CNBBS boards with ECU and their ilk saying "thanks Diaco UConn should be behind us now." Some lunatics.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Somehow, despite efforts of Dooley et all, the twitterati is doubling down on stupid as it concerns UConn. People from WV, people from Colorado, people from ESPf'nN... All go out of their way to tell why we don't do X Y Z in our own markets, as if we don't know our own. Bunch of Scalitos, the lot of them.

Reaction Score
MH ver3 ‏@MH ver3 2h2 hours ago
This will be my last series of tweets for the foreseeable future. Everything's about over.

UC and BYU will be 11 and 12 unless BYU chooses not to be. It's up to them and what they do.

I realize the teleconferences aren't complete but they are a ruse anyway.

If BYU didn't play ball then UH gets their spot.

Conference will expand again after season is over by 2 more. Looking like UH and Uconn if BYU does their part.

And finally, there is about a 75% chance we score a couple of PAC schools when their GOR is up.

Big12 is stronger than ESPN would have you believe and no one is wanting to leave.

Enjoy the ride mates!

One last thing to add. New TV disbursements require all members signing contract and GOR. Currently have 11 of 12 signatures. UC has signed

It's been a fun past few years. I may pop back up from time to time(like when season is over and when PAC GOR is up).

Also will still answer my private messages when I get the chance.

I'm excited for football and for this albatross of expansion to be nearly behind us.

Weeda Hilt ‏@WeedaHilt 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 hope u can share any AAC and MWC realignment

@WeedaHilt I most definitely will when I hear it.

Phelon ‏@JrPhelon 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 when do you think is the soonest we'll see an announcement on 11-12?

@JrPhelon slightly before start of season

Cdubb ‏@cdubb03 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 has BYU signed?

@cdubb03 no. They have obligations they have to meet first.

Cdubb ‏@cdubb03 1h1 hour ago
@MH ver3 have they been given any sort of timeline on that?

Murr ‏@MurrDCU 2h2 hours ago
@MH ver3 why is Mcmurphy saying B12 won't decide until October?

@MurrDCU no idea. I'm just going by what I was told. And my B12 source told me it's the last I'm getting for a while.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 8m8 minutes ago
I never seen this much pro-ACC talk on SECN...what happened? Oh..that's right. Disney investment in ACCN.

Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 3m3 minutes ago
@flugempire Yup. Prepare yourself for ACC coverage non-stop across all of the ESPN networks to elevate interest in ACCN.

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 1m1 minute ago
@DooleyMcStitch We have been told to think like a B12 President when considering expansion. But we really need to think like a...

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 48s49 seconds ago
Greg Flugaur Retweeted Greg Flugaur

https://mobile.twitter.com/flugempire/status/765281988873891840… a B12 President knowing ESPN has massive eggs in other massive baskets. And you (B12) are not going to be an egg

Brian A ‏@BriUConn 3m3 minutes ago
@flugempire you never respond to 2 tweets.U had Cincy & UCONN from Winter to Spring if 2 schools. Now it looks 2 rather than 4,is ur same 2

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 1m1 minute ago
@BriUConn OU contacts don't believe there can be 8 votes elevated for 2...no consensus... So..there is no 2 school solution. Will see.

ME: "I'm excited for football and for this albatross of expansion to be nearly behind us."

Famous last words

Reaction Score
Blauds is good at breaking UConn news but this is A) cheesy clickbait and B) not worth $14.95/mo. He needs to connect w/temery to learn how to monetize his site.

Reaction Score
Blauds is good at breaking UConn news but this is A) cheesy clickbait and B) not worth $14.95/mo. He needs to connect w/temery to learn how to monetize his site.

So you wanna save us $14.95 and tell us?

Reaction Score

So you wanna save us $14.95 and tell us?

... The TMG Subscription for 1 year is $19.95 but still no thanks!

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score

The juxtaposition...wow!

A bit OT but is anyone else annoyed by all the ads here lately? Makes mobile viewing so much less enjoyable. I'd be happy to pay a monthly subscription for ad free. Or is there an ad blocker for iPhone? I'm tired of seeing Oprah crying.
image.png

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
... The TMG Subscription for 1 year is $19.95 but still no thanks!
I hope for his sake Blauds got a nice pension/severance and is doing this just to keep busy.

Reaction Score
From the so-called insider, MSMoose, on the Cincy 247 board:
  • Big 12 Commissioners in conjunction with Big 12 Media providers have formally offered and recommended to the Big 12 Board of Directors Cincinnati and BYU as candidates 11 and 12. I am told (4) candidates were offered as candidates 13 and 14, with NO specifically desired two candidates.

Big 12 Presidents will review presentations, and a Conference call is being scheduled for further deliberations on 13 and 14.

Expectation is no two candidates qualify as 13 and 14, at this time. However, compromise of Big 12 requirements will be proposed by one or two current Big 12 members.

Stay tuned! At least I don't have to ask who #12 is anymore!

Reaction Score
From the so-called insider, MSMoose, on the Cincy 247 board:
  • Big 12 Commissioners in conjunction with Big 12 Media providers have formally offered and recommended to the Big 12 Board of Directors Cincinnati and BYU as candidates 11 and 12. I am told (4) candidates were offered as candidates 13 and 14, with NO specifically desired two candidates.

Big 12 Presidents will review presentations, and a Conference call is being scheduled for further deliberations on 13 and 14.

Expectation is no two candidates qualify as 13 and 14, at this time. However, compromise of Big 12 requirements will be proposed by one or two current Big 12 members.

Stay tuned! At least I don't have to ask who #12 is anymore!

So--let me get this right.

The B12 media partners have no specifically desired 13 and 14. It can be 2 of any 4.

So ESPN told them, choose from Houston, Memphis, UConn and UCF--it doesn't matter to us.

Also, what is this stuff about "Qualifying?" What the hell does that mean?

I would expect it means actual votes, but the next sentence implies something different. Something about requirements. So--this makes absolutely no sense.

Which is why Moose is full of it.

Reaction Score

The B12 media partners have no specifically desired 13 and 14. It can be 2 of any 4.

So ESPN told them, choose from Houston, Memphis, UConn and UCF--it doesn't matter to us.

I would expect it means actual votes, but the next sentence implies something different. Something about requirements. So--this makes absolutely no sense.

My guess would be that "requirements" and "qualifying" both refer to the number of votes needed to approve membership. Eight votes "qualifies" a school, as per Big 12 voting requirements. Maybe someone wants to propose a variation on the 8-vote-per-school requirement - maybe a reduction to 7 votes, if it is known (for example) that two schools can get to 7, and eight schools would be happy with the outcome. (For example, a Houston/UConn combo or a Houston/UCF combo might satisfy eight schools. Or UConn/UCF. I don't know.) Maybe there's another variation being suggested, too.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

It's nonsense. From multiple other "tweeters" there is a distinct impression that ESPN's choices are "none of the above". It has all the American properties much cheaper. It doesn't want its most profitable conference torn up. It's Fox that is driving this, and Fox has reportedly requested UConn and/or Florida schools and does not want Memphis or Houston. They want eastern content in big markets.

Reaction Score
HuskyHawk, can you please provide where you read , "Fox has reportedly requested UConn and/or Florida schools and does not want Memphis or Houston."

I read a lot of the articles, however, I have never seen something specific as your statement on Fox requesting us.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom