Non-Key Tweets | Page 278 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
What is he talking about? Is there some secret wormhole from Provo to Morgantown that scientists have discovered?

Under what circumstances does that help WVU? It puts their football team out further on an island and at best is neutral to the rest of their Olympic sports because they wouldn't have to travel out there, but still wouldn't have any closer schools.

I think what he is getting at is that travel is less of a problem without the olympic sports. He goes into it more in the second article that I posted.

There are no good solutions to the Big 12's expansion problem. That is why when someone advocates adding certain schools, they have to "make it work", like Tramel is doing.

I don't think they will add anyone.

Reaction Score
I think what he is getting at is that travel is less of a problem without the olympic sports. He goes into it more in the second article that I posted.

There are no good solutions to the Big 12's expansion problem. That is why when someone advocates adding certain schools, they have to "make it work", like Tramel is doing.

I don't think they will add anyone.

Honestly the Big 12 is in a no-win situation. Oklahoma has one foot out the door already and there is absolutely nobody in the G5 that could get them to bring both feet back in the tent.

Once Oklahoma leaves Texas is gone.

Honestly, the most humane thing would be if Oklahoma left in the next 12 months so we can get this process started.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's likely, that's why I said the ACC adds WVU and holds. I originally wrote Iowa State to the AAC, but if the strategy is a managed implosion of the Big 12 with everyone finding a spot, the ACC would be the only viable conference. Some might think the B1G would be an option, but I don't think so.

I doubt WV ever ends up in the ACC. If that were the case, they would have already been there. WV just isn't a valuable enough territory for that conference given all their other locations. I could see Cincy end up before WV simply to get the conference into Ohio, particularly with ND to the north and Lvl to the south.

Reaction Score
This nonsense comes up time and time again.

No, they're not.

If your athletic department is currently in a P5 conference and remains in one, they are not in trouble. The money will be there.

If your athletic department is not in a P5 conference and doesn't manage to get in one, you are in trouble. The money, despite ridiculous talk about a "P6", will never be there.

Public, private, no matter.

Totally disagree. You think $15 to $20 million per year is enough to stabilize the athletic program at a private school like Syracuse? They are at the mercy of the State of NY for their football and basketball facility. Do you think Syracuse could ever replace the Carrier Dome without public support?

Have you ever been to BC to see their athletic facilities? They are not very P5-like and I don't see major improvements coming in the future. Ever wonder why BC can't keep any decent football or basketball coach? Their athletic department does not have the money to pay them.

Where is Miami's football stadium? Doesn't exist. Their endowment per student is lower than Syracuse's.

Think about this. Since the BCS started in 1998, how many of the 12 P5 private schools have played in a BCS football game and the Final 4? One: Syracuse and they played in the BCS game 15 years ago.

Private schools are at a major disadvantage to public schools and the chasm is getting bigger and bigger. Can they even afford to spend to keep up?

Reaction Score
I doubt WV ever ends up in the ACC. If that were the case, they would have already been there. WV just isn't a valuable enough territory for that conference given all their other locations. I could see Cincy end up before WV simply to get the conference into Ohio, particularly with ND to the north and Lvl to the south.

I guess one could argue that with the demise of the Big 12 the ACC can be more selective, but I think the earnings gap will still be a threat to stability and they need football credibility, with or without a network, and WVU would help. Plus Clemson and FSU would welcome the move. It's possible Cincy is added with WVU since they already have Louisville and Pitt, which would provide a western flank. There's also a possibility WVU lands in the SEC or even the AAC depending upon how things play out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Oh, my lord.

Please stop talking.

If Syracuse never replaces the Carrier Dome....so what? How would their situation differ from ours if we needed to replace Gampel or the Rent? We're entirely dependent on the state, so claiming any sort of dependency on Syracuse's part to be a negative is very glass-housey.

As a private school, Syracuse's athletic revenue exceeds ours before you even count the first penny from the network. A few years ago, our athletic departments were the same size - they're $20,000,000 ahead now. At $90M, there's no "chasm" between them and most publics.

They're fine. Boston College is fine. Miami fine. And you're bad at math.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
What is he talking about? Is there some secret wormhole from Provo to Morgantown that scientists have discovered?

Under what circumstances does that help WVU? It puts their football team out further on an island and at best is neutral to the rest of their Olympic sports because they wouldn't have to travel out there, but still wouldn't have any closer schools.

I had to read it 10 times but I'm pretty sure he means Football Only means the travel isn't a big deal. Versus all sports where it would be a big deal.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Call me crazy but if I'm a school cashing 8 figure checks annually... I'm gonna want to keep doing that.

Reaction Score
Oh, my lord.

Please stop talking.

If Syracuse never replaces the Carrier Dome....so what? How would their situation differ from ours if we needed to replace Gampel or the Rent? We're entirely dependent on the state, so claiming any sort of dependency on Syracuse's part to be a negative is very glass-housey.

As a private school, Syracuse's athletic revenue exceeds ours before you even count the first penny from the network. A few years ago, our athletic departments were the same size - they're $20,000,000 ahead now. At $90M, there's no "chasm" between them and most publics.

They're fine. Boston College is fine. Miami fine. And you're bad at math.

So Syracuse can count on NY state to fund their athletic needs? Maybe. Can UConn depend on the state of Connecticut? It appears they can based on recent investments in athletic facilities by the state. And, if UConn needs money for more professors, more classrooms, more dorms... they turn to the state, not their endowment. The endowment is all Syracuse has!

Of course UConn needs more money and is at a disadvantage to those schools caring bigger media checks. But, in the long run, I believe UConn will be better off than most of the private schools.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
So the school that has an endowment that's over three times the size of ours and an athletic budget that's 25% higher and revenue that's probably 40% higher is in trouble?

That's some Boneyard Econ right there.

Reaction Score
Totally disagree. You think $15 to $20 million per year is enough to stabilize the athletic program at a private school like Syracuse? They are at the mercy of the State of NY for their football and basketball facility. Do you think Syracuse could ever replace the Carrier Dome without public support?

Have you ever been to BC to see their athletic facilities? They are not very P5-like and I don't see major improvements coming in the future. Ever wonder why BC can't keep any decent football or basketball coach? Their athletic department does not have the money to pay them.

Where is Miami's football stadium? Doesn't exist. Their endowment per student is lower than Syracuse's.

Think about this. Since the BCS started in 1998, how many of the 12 P5 private schools have played in a BCS football game and the Final 4? One: Syracuse and they played in the BCS game 15 years ago.

Private schools are at a major disadvantage to public schools and the chasm is getting bigger and bigger. Can they even afford to spend to keep up?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
So Syracuse can count on NY state to fund their athletic needs? Maybe. Can UConn depend on the state of Connecticut? It appears they can based on recent investments in athletic facilities by the state. And, if UConn needs money for more professors, more classrooms, more dorms... they turn to the state, not their endowment. The endowment is all Syracuse has!

Of course UConn needs more money and is at a disadvantage to those schools caring bigger media checks. But, in the long run, I believe UConn will be better off than most of the private schools.

Connecticut's budget is a sea of red ink until eternity or bankruptcy. The latter could occur quite soon actually. I can just about guarantee that the state is going to be cutting funding to UConn and education in general over the next few years. Tuitions are going to increase, and non-essential spending will decrease.

The state is not going to raise taxes on every resident to pay for the football, no matter how hardcore the 5k fans that showed up for SMU think they are.

Reaction Score

I believe Stanford has played in a few.... no?

Reaction Score

Also, didn't UCF beat Baylor??

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
So the school that has an endowment that's over three times the size of ours and an athletic budget that's 25% higher and revenue that's probably 40% higher is in trouble?

Well they've got expenses...lawyer's bills...libel lawsuit payoffs...hand sanitizer for the assistant coaches...

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
How does UConn pay for this athletic program off a crappy AAC TV contract and 5k people in the seats? I look forward to hearing this.
Go into debt. That's it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Go into debt. That's it.

The answer tomorrow is the same as the answer today - subsidy.

And prayer.

I understand where the people who are wish-casting and speculating that some members of the P5 are going to somehow die off and let us move up. They're wrong, but desperation makes a lot of dumb s--- make sense. I get it.

Nelson's view is just plain bizarre. We have a revenue and exposure problem - his solution is to make it much worse.

I'm not sure how that's supposed to help.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

And prayer.

I understand where the people who are wish-casting and speculating that some members of the P5 are going to somehow die off and let us move up. They're wrong, but desperation makes a lot of dumb s--- make sense. I get it.

Nelson's view is just plain bizarre. We have a revenue and exposure problem - his solution is to make it much worse.

In fairness to Nelson his view is more along the lines of turning UConn into the University of Vermont. Perhaps he still gets aroused when thinking about late 1960's Yankee Conference matchups.

Reaction Score

When all you have is tuition and your endowment and your endowment is $56k per student, you have zero financial flexibility. Tuition is not going up at a high rate at privates like Syracuse anymore and your endowment can not produce enough income. Without state backing, I would say Syracuse has to be very careful with their money.

Reaction Score

And prayer.

Fishy, that's what I don't understand why would a school leave when the money keeps going up? If you leave you will never get back. Which President and AD are going to make that call? Just bizarre.

By the way how's my fellow Admiral doing?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

And prayer.

My position is that we need more money, and we need to do WHATEVER we have to do to make that happen. 90% of this board's position is that thumbs up butt for next 5 years will result in Big 10 invitation.

Reaction Score
My position is that we need more money, and we need to do WHATEVER we have to do to make that happen. 90% of this board's position is that thumbs up butt for next 5 years will result in Big 10 invitation.
Ok Nelson....I have a question for you..do you do YOUR part to help UCONN make $$ by purchasing season tickets or even just single game tickets through the University for athletic events?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
That is not anyone's position here.

90% of this board recognizes that the School Administration is probably doing everything they can to improve the school's profile.

90% of this board also recognizes that the ONLY way into a P-5 conference is with football.

Given those two near-certainties, the position of 90% of this board is use the exit fees and Tournament shares we currently possess while the school makes itself more attractive for a P-5 invitation than it was in 2012.

Your position is to throw away that life raft, while pursuing a nominal increase in TV money, which potentially (probably) won't be there for the much referred to conference in 5 years .

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

And how does your plan help any of that?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom