Non-Key Tweets | Page 952 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
ACC in small sports is fine...

2021 and 2022 Women's Cross Country NC's.

2018, 2019, 2020, 2022 Field Hockwy NC's

2013, 2014, 2021 Men's Soccer NC's

8 NC's since 2000 in Women's Soccer

9 NC's since 2000 in Men's Lacrosse

9 NC's since 2000 in Womens Lacrosse
Which is part of the appeal for Stanford. They don’t need the money, but they carecabout that stuff.

Reaction Score
If the money is evenly distributed then that is a no go. 3-5 million net revenue helps but is negated by more travel expenses.
But damn. That's more travel expenses for everyone. ACC is an unhealthy conference if those are the mindsets.

Reaction Score
It is not exactly a tough sell to recruit Olympic athletes to Stanford.

- You are going to Palo Alto, one of the morr expensive neighbourhoods with average home price of $3.3M, for 4 years.

- beautiful CA weather for 4 years.

- You are getting a scholarship from one of the top 3 universities in the USA.

it's not exactly that hard to recruit top athletes here, which is why Stanford wins the Director cup every year. Over 20% of Olympic athletes came from CA for the USA. Stanford, and in some ways Cal as well, have these built-in advantages few schools have.
Directors cup is BS. But, No question Stanford is a great AS department, but their football doesn’t draw. Cal is worse.

No chance they belong in ACC.

Reaction Score
The West Virginia basement twitterati have checked in...Chris Lambert (formerly the Dude of West Virginia) and MHVER....

Reaction Score
I don’t see Miami being in favor of adding Stanford or Cal either, even though they have not been a reported no vote. Miami may never get into the SEC, but they are easily a B1G target to give the B1G a presence in recruiting-rich Florida.

Reaction Score
The strongest indication to me is that this hasn’t been shut down already. This dragging out implies negotiation of some sort.
That may very well be what's happening but if it's true that all 3 are willing to forego tv distributions for up to 5 years then they can't offer anything else. So that leaves ESPN & existing members. So whatever is on the table is not good enough yet

Reaction Score
Yeah, I’m unsure why this is ongoing.

I do wish ESPN had saved their money they splurged on (checks notes), Central Florida, BYU AND Utah, Colorado, and Cincinnati. Could have used it to entice Notre Dame or keep FSU/Clemson/UNC out of trying to break down the doors to get into the B10.

Reaction Score
How are these supposed journalists/reporters getting accurate and detailed info enough to know the specific schools in favor of/not in favor of the PAC schools? Seems to me this would be private/guarded info. Unless, some part of the magnificent 7 wanted to stir up the pot to show their unhappiness in the ACC?

Reaction Score
How are these supposed journalists/reporters getting accurate and detailed info enough to know the specific schools in favor of/not in favor of the PAC schools? Seems to me this would be private/guarded info. Unless, some part of the magnificent 7 wanted to stir up the pot to show their unhappiness in the ACC?
Same way they know who is in the portal before the players say anything.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Equal treatment...men's lacrosse, soccer, etc....will have the same travel requirements....

This is not how Title IX works. By your logic, women's sports should have full contact practices in pads just because football does it. Here is the text of Title IX:

No person in the United States shall, on the basis of sex, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any education program or activity receiving Federal financial assistance.

A really strong case will be made that requiring 2000 mile midweek travel is discriminating against female athletes based on their sex/gender. It may not be a slam dunk, but this is one of those cases where I would much rather be the plaintiff than the defendant. And it is not out of the question that a judge could issue an injunction to prevent the schools from moving conferences.

The easiest solution for the NCAA is to simply amend the rules to let football be in separate conferences.

Reaction Score
This is not how Title IX works. By your logic, women's sports should have full contact practices in pads just because football does it. Here is the text of Title IX:

A really strong case will be made that requiring 2000 mile midweek travel is discriminating against female athletes based on their sex/gender. It may not be a slam dunk, but this is one of those cases where I would much rather be the plaintiff than the defendant. And it is not out of the question that a judge could issue an injunction to prevent the schools from moving conferences.

The easiest solution for the NCAA is to simply amend the rules to let football be in separate conferences.
Discriminating against all non revenue men's and women's sports requiring 2000 mile midweek travel.

Reaction Score

I think it will be a Title IX problem. The issue will be football and basketball fly charter and no other sports do. Thus, somebody could make a stink that women athletes are being discriminated against because they make up the vast majority of non revenue sports athletes (because they offset the 85 football scholarships) and they do not fly charter.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score

Please explain how, if the men's and women's soccer teams, basketball teams, swimming, tennis (if either is applicable), men's baseball and women's softball, and any additional sports that the school sponsors are both competing in the same conference and dealing with the same travel that this is discrimination against the women's sports.

You've made some asinine comments in your day (and attempt to defend the indefensible with pompous and dismissive comments) but this may be the most asinine stance you've taken on this board.

Reaction Score

LOL...Title IX...non discrimination because of sex....if men's teams have the same travel, no problemo...

By your reasoning, FSU women would have a Title IX grievance about travelling all the way to Boston and Syracuse.

Heck, the Women's Soccer team is in Texas...just played TCU in Fort Worth and now on to College Station to play the Aggies...Title IX, Title IX...the Title IX sky is falling.

Reaction Score
Please explain how, if the men's and women's soccer teams, basketball teams, swimming, tennis (if either is applicable), men's baseball and women's softball, and any additional sports that the school sponsors are both competing in the same conference and dealing with the same travel that this is discrimination against the women's sports.

You've made some asinine comments in your day (and attempt to defend the indefensible with pompous and dismissive comments) but this may be the most asinine stance you've taken on this board.

I'm not a legal expert, but I suspect he's getting at the fact that the size (number of players on scholarships) and the money behind football puts everything out-of whack as there is no comparable women's sport(s). As long as the support provided to women's basketball and soccer is the same as men's basketball and soccer are similar, it's all good. But, if Ohio State's 80-member football team is taking a direct 5-hour charter flight in first or business class seats from Columbus to SJC while it's comparable women's teams say (field hockey and rowing) are taking a pair of commercial flights for 8 hours (heaven help any person over 6' 2" sitting in coach today) or worse (rowing teams often bus due to their gear being way too big for a plane), then their may be an IX issue.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom