Non-Key Tweets | Page 927 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

GG

Reaction Score
While i agree with him, wish it was Big12 Presidents asking this and not him.

Go back to Yormarks comments, they wanted schools that WANTED to join them. They're on the verge of adding ASU who looks like a reluctant add at best, and Utah a school whose president derided the Big12 and its member schools. They'd basically be allowing themselves to be cucked.
What I cannot understand is how the narrative continues to be that we are a second rate athletic department. We have the best overall basketball programs in the country when you look at both the men’s and women’s team. No one comes close. We continue to excel at a number of sports, and we do so without the benefit of power five money. I guess I am naive for believing that academic rankings even matter, but we are ranked higher academically than both ASU and Utah. Despite all of this, people would still rather add inferior schools. It is not as if ASU is some elite football program and Utah excels at football only. We bring a very solid athletic department overall with great upside. We also bring a new market, which is not duplicative if one the Big 12 already has.

Of course, I have to read comments on other message boards that our men’s national championships are discounted because UCONN had an “easy path” or it was an “off year.” Meanwhile, these other teams cannot win in weak or strong years. The success of the men’s team is also discounted because they are not great each and every year (it is either feast or famine). Apparently our national championships don’t hold as much value as others. I just have to shake my head. UCONN has been criticized by Schools that cannot win the national championship regardless of the strength of the field.

I still hold out hope because I truly believe that BY sees our value, but it is discouraging (and exhausting) to read the completely ignorant comments that are posted on Twitter.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
This decision had NOTHING to do with the on-the-field product. We lost out to the second schools from Arizona and Utah, and neither athletic program has exactly bathed itself in glory. Colorado's is a full blown dumpster fire. It was just not in the cards for us this time around.

UConn's problem is that the two major conferences that make sense for UConn A) have an impossibly high hurdle to get in (the Big 10) and B) have a school black-balling us (BCU in the ACC). Sometimes it just does not work out and there is nothing that anyone can do.

The one other thing I think UConn should do is to approach the SEC. I don't really have a pitch worked out, but if the SEC wanted to shake the ACC's cage, adding UConn would be a way to do it.
There is a perception that P5 is greater than G5 no matter what. The only schools that escape G5 purgatory are schools that have had dream type football seasons on their recent resume. Cincinnati, recent playoff appearance. UCF recent undefeated seasons. Houston hell of a run under Tom Herman. At this point, if this falls through, the only thing that will change perception is our own football magic carpet ride. Which makes the decision to bring back Edsall and stick with him as long as they did even more infuriating. A. Total. Waste. Of. TIME.

If the PAC survives in some capacity maybe other G5 standouts like SDSU, Boise, and, Tulane get call ups.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If BY doesn’t get “what he wants” in UConn because of Utah……that means he never wanted UConn. Bamboozled
What is going to hurt is they will throw parties in NYC and UConn won’t be invited.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There is a perception that P5 is greater than G5 no matter what. The only schools thay escape G5 purgatory are schools that have had dream type football seasons on their recent resume. Cincinnati, recent playoff appearance. UCF recent undefeated seasons. Houston hell of a run under Tom Herman. At this point, if this falls through, the only thing that will change perception is our own football magic carpet ride. Which makes the decision to bring back Edsall and stick with him as long as they did even more infuriating. A. Total. Waste. Of. TIME.

If the PAC survives in some capacity mabne other G5 standouts like SDSU, Boise, and, Tulane get call ups.
I'm guessing the main reason SDSU was left twisting in the wind a little more than a month ago was the disdain that the UC system (with Cal as the crown jewel) holds towards the CSU system. They now obviously have little choice other than accept SDSU (and possibly Fresno St) as members but I believe they will fight with everything they have to keep what they view as a four year community college (Boise St) from joining the conference they compete in. Don't be surprised (if they do add SMU) to see names like Tulane, Rice and Tulsa thrown around.

Reaction Score
There is a perception that P5 is greater than G5 no matter what.

This is really what it comes down to. Most of the P5 athletic departments are garbage and are coasting on history and being in the right place at the right time. ASU getting dragged into the conference is proof of that. But they were in the club and the media, notably ESPN, have done a great job of convincing America that just being P5 means you deserve something.

Reaction Score
I'm guessing the main reason SDSU was left twisting in the wind a little more than a month ago was the disdain that the UC system (with Cal as the crown jewel) holds towards the CSU system. They now obviously have little choice other than accept SDSU (and possibly Fresno St) as members but I believe they will fight with everything they have to keep what they view as a four year community college (Boise St) from joining the conference they compete in. Don't be surprised (if they do add SMU) to see names like Tulane, Rice and Tulsa thrown around.
Time will tell. But whoever is paying their media deal will have a say. Boise State gets basically their own TV deal while in the MWC. They may look down their noses at them, but in reality those schools looking for lifeboats from the Big12 is all the proof anyone needs to know their puffery about academics is all bluster.

Reaction Score
I think I agree with the others, the ADs would much rather Utah than us. Lets face it, nobody understands UConn and the 2011 backstab plus 3 bad coaches put us in a bind. If this were National Champions AND 7-5 football I dont think this plays out like this.
It’s perception. UConn football would improve in a power conference. If other teams beat UConn it’s no big deal and they should. If they lose to UConn it would be an embarrassment to the highest degree. No doubt UConn would win some games. Apparently AZ is a better respected BB school.

Reaction Score
ASU is a diploma mill and not prestigous academically at all. If they or Utah get a slot over us I'd say this B12 conference will be screwed after this TV contact is over. AND Yormack vision of top hoops conference goes up in smoke. Do AZ football teams practice in AC summer and early fall? Zona football not exactly something great to watch.....prefer Oregon State and Wash State football and sports.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Huh? Colorado was 13. Arizona is 14. Who are 15 and 16? Media speculates or has sources. But we don’t know until it’s done.
His tweet identified UofA as 15 and ASU as 16.

I was poking fun at a hack (who likely operates out of his basement) trying to pass as a credible journalist.

FfldCntyFan

Reaction Score
Time will tell. But whoever is paying their media deal will have a say. Boise State gets basically their own TV deal while in the MWC. They may look down their noses at them, but in reality those schools looking for lifeboats from the Big12 is all the proof anyone needs to know their puffery about academics is all bluster.
For the most part yes. For Stanford and Cal, academics hold a good amount of weight.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score

Stanford and Cal spend a lot more money promoting their own patina of exclusivity than they do on athletics. They care a lot about academics, because it brings in a boatload of money to those schools.

Reaction Score

This is such an obvious perspective that people are missing. We would add a different element to the Big 12 than ASU, and we’re a better athletic program.

Am I the only one who thinks Arizona joining without ASU is a good thing? The Big 12 always seemed to want Arizona. ASU just kind of got lumped in. I still think Yormark wants us and Utah if he goes to 16.

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
His tweet identified UofA as 15 and ASU as 16.

I was poking fun at a hack (who likely operates out of his basement) trying to pass as a credible journalist.
He worded it weirdly but he’s definitely calling Arizona State 15. He’s saying ASU will follow #14 Arizona as #15.

Reaction Score
I don’t think so. A lot of people have heard it was a “done deal.” Apparently it’s not. But it’s not over until it’s over.
We reacted to Dave Benedict's tweets long before the Utah news was reported. So the biggest part of the reaction had little to do with what I consider a later confirmation.

"We're good" is practically the carbon copy of what UConn said a decade ago.

It's the right message. But it also means, "We're out."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom