Non-Key Tweets | Page 898 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

Reaction Score
Fun fact: Arizona has finished ranked seven times in its entire football history. We're not talking about some powerhouse.
Arizona’s a basketball school like Uconn, only not as successful at it. Their football had very little success despite being in the PAC 10/12. But Uconn football showed it could succeed when they were in the Big East.

Uconn expands the Big 12 footprint in a more meaningful way to the important NY & northeast markets, where they don’t have a presence today. If the Big 12 is focused on potential & wants to be a national conference, Uconn is the better play for them.

Reaction Score
For all the talk of expanding to the East, I suspect the University presidents are more comfortable with extending their perimeter. Hence, Colorado (the worst PAC football team, but an old member that was good under one coach three decades ago) and perhaps Arizona (who as you say is far from a power).
The problem they have to face is why is the Pac12 so unpopular with networks? Colorado is mountain time zone. Arizona is pacific.

This matters to the networks a great deal.

When you look at what the Pac12 had in terms of brand name schools, I would pick the brands in the P12 over the B12 leftovers.

So why is the Pac12 worth so little?

This matters a lot to the decision makers.

There's a problem with the west coast.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The problem they have to face is why is the Pac12 so unpopular with networks? Colorado is mountain time zone. Arizona is pacific.

When you look at what the Pac12 had in terms of brand name schools, you'd have to pick the B12 leftovers over them.

There's a problem with all your schools being on the West Coast. Have some smaller proportion is just fine. The B1G is about to find out, though, since they took the LA schools. My sense is with just a few out there, you can be on TV all day and generate casual fans.

Reaction Score

When you look at what the Pac12 had in terms of brand name schools, you'd have to pick the B12 leftovers over them.

Because nobody watches their games. It's always been like this. I used to go hunting around the city of Chicago with my ASU friends to try and find sports bars that carried their games. People are either in bed or it can be difficult to find their games.

Reaction Score
To be fair, in the northeast there are far more schools per capita. UConn and Arizona get the "state pride" bump for non graduates in-state, but a greater percentage of college graduates in Phoenix would have gone to Arizona and Arizona State than is the case for UConn in either Boston or New York.

But... **** em.
True for sure about Boston and NY, but I'd add these 2 facts: the rate of graduating college at all in Arizona is extremely low. In the 20s. Connecticut is in the 40s. 4400 graduate every year from Arizona. 5600 from UConn. UConn has more graduates. And I imagine this has been so for a very long time since Arizona has had a population explosion in the last few decades.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Phoenix is 2.1M homes and #11, Tucson is another 400K. CT is about 1.35 Million TV Homes, including Fairfield County.
IMG_9688.jpeg

IMG_9689.jpeg

Keep in mind that Arizona shares those homes with Arizona State. Also keep in mind the size of Connecticut vs size of Arizona.

A better comparison is population within 200 miles of campus. If I recall correctly, within 200 miles of Storrs there are in excess of 20 million people

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
View attachment 90109
View attachment 90111
Keep in mind that Arizona shares those homes with Arizona State. Also keep in mind the size of Connecticut vs size of Arizona.

A better comparison is population within 200 miles of campus. If I recall correctly, within 200 miles of Storrs there are in excess of 20 million people.
Most people outside of CT don’t care about UConn football. That is not the case with basketball.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It's not even programs that have never won anything being given the benefit of the doubt. It's the media and fans of programs who have never won anything pretending they are somehow better than the "others" because they got dragged along into a club that they never earned admittance to.

The comments by Cincinnati, BYU, Houston and most of all UCF fans about not diluting the league with "G5" programs is particularly rich.

Like, UCF, you were in Conference USA 10 years ago settle down.

Reaction Score
The comments by Cincinnati, BYU, Houston and most of all UCF fans about not diluting the league with "G5" programs is particularly rich.

Not just that, all four of those programs have been not-a-G5 for a grand total of 27 days in their stupid histories so far. It's an absolute farce lmao

Reaction Score

They were Atlantic Sun in recent enough memory for our 2005 team to play them in a 2-15 game...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom