Non-Key Tweets | Page 640 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The hillbilly West VA "dudes" think WVU has value to other leagues

In reality only OU/KU/UT would probably land in a better spot, OSU possibly if OU forces them along in the sidecar and Pickens writes more large checks

I think that reality is what is driving expansion right now. Most of the Big 12 needs to save the Big 12.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 wants stability they will only add BYU and UConn right now, and stay away from the city schools. UC and UConn would probably also work, but if they add a bunch of city schools, it is just a money grab.

Reaction Score
I really think UConn's ability to dominate its market, the only school that claim that, has us in a better position than we realize. Probably due to all the nutkicks we have received during the expansion era.

The Big 12, will launch some version of a conference network at some point, because they are not going to stay the only P5, without one.

Reaction Score
I think WVU would be in a
really bad spot. The only two realistic options would be SEC and ACC. Both of those conferences have a linear network which are all about cable boxes. West Virginia's entire population in 1.8M. That's tiny. Plus how many of those 1.8M even have cable (considering some of the remote locations due to the mountains, etc.) Then there's the academics, which have been discussed ad naseum.

You have to consider what would be available to them if they can't poach from the ACC and OU/Kansas go to the Big Ten. Texas would be out there, but they certainly come with their own headaches, and it's not a sure thing that the SEC would be willing and able to deal with them.

And even if they are, who else would they add? Your other options are Tech, Baylor, TCU, OK-State, K-State, and Iowa State, else you add someone from the AAC.

As I said, they certainly shouldn't be comfortable, but they seem like the best football brand available after OU and UT.

Reaction Score
WVU has a lot of alumni that live in other states. Supposedly we have finished runnerup in two previous SEC expansions, South Carolina in early 90's and Mizzou in 2011. Being that we are top 20 in wins all time in football and basketball that somehow we would get a lifeboat if the Big 12 falls apart. Personally I hope the Big 12 does whatever it needs to stay together long term. If that means expansion of two or four or if it means staying at 10. I would like to see UConn in the Big 12.

Reaction Score
WVU has a lot of alumni that live in other states. Supposedly we have finished runnerup in two previous SEC expansions, South Carolina in early 90's and Mizzou in 2011. Being that we are top 20 in wins all time in football and basketball that somehow we would get a lifeboat if the Big 12 falls apart. Personally I hope the Big 12 does whatever it needs to stay together long term. If that means expansion of two or four or if it means staying at 10. I would like to see UConn in the Big 12.

Having alumni in other places doesn't really help though. Is the 2,500 alumni in San Francisco (made up numbers btw) going to force California SEC network coverage? The answer is no.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
You have to consider what would be available to them if they can't poach from the ACC and OU/Kansas go to the Big Ten. Texas would be out there, but they certainly come with their own headaches, and it's not a sure thing that the SEC would be willing and able to deal with them.

And even if they are, who else would they add? Your other options are Tech, Baylor, TCU, OK-State, K-State, and Iowa State, else you add someone from the AAC.

As I said, they certainly shouldn't be comfortable, but they seem like the best football brand available after OU and UT.

I think we too often get caught up in markets and TV. The best market in the world is useless unless you have appropriate content.

WVU is probably in a similar position to KU after UT and OU, simply because the content is good and they do have a strong local fanbase. Looking at the SEC, you might ask, who would fans in SC, GA, AL, MS, LA, KY, FL and TN want to see playing their local team? I submit that the answers would be for football: OU - hell yes. WVY - yes. For basketball - KU - hell yes. WVU and OU - yes.

Considering we are in a league where we play teams we aren't interested in, and complain about it, we should remember this. It's how Nebraska got into the B1G as well, they certainly don't bring cable boxes.

pj

Reaction Score
WVU actually compares favorably to Kansas on some metrics. West Virginia's state population is nearly as large as Kansas's and they don't have competition from a second state school (Kansas State) or pro teams in Kansas City. Contrary to an earlier poster, West Virginia at one time had the highest cable penetration in the country due to poor over the air signal transmission, and still has respectable cable penetration.

Kansas wins on academics and basketball brand.

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 wants stability they will only add BYU and UConn right now, and stay away from the city schools. UC and UConn would probably also work, but if they add a bunch of city schools, it is just a money grab.
If TX and OK are truly gone, there aren't many viable options for the other programs but to try and maintain the Big12 as a P5 conference. If I'm TCU or K-State, I'm trying to get past 2025 intact. If the Big 12 can stay intact through that time-frame, I don't see how the next BCS or FCS contract will dwindle to a P4 scenario. Even when the Big East was defunct, they had one year of BCS eligibility because they couldn't take that away.
Same thing with the Big 12. If UT and OK make it known they are leaving before the new contract is signed, the Big 12 will be picked apart and you'll start hearing P4. If the GOR is extended beyond 2025, I don't see how the Big 12 loses it's P5 status.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
seriously... it is really disturbing. Is it possible to "ignore" a posters avatar, but still read their posts? Not that Dood resembles him physically, but for whatever reason whenever I see that pic I think of Private Jelly Donut from Full Metal Jacket.
1608.jpg
images

He's the Warlock.

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
To avoid media questions on Big 12 expansion,the presidents of the universities have decided to hold their meeting here to choose which schools they will invite.neptune
0c95187034ea4b8d05c35d772d908ba1df6c28e5fac003ed8e98cba8ba5d5d4a_3762349.jpg

Reaction Score
It is OK...not wonderful, but certainly adequate.

1f2a5200-a588-11e4-8f9b-7f19c8ea3aed_Screen-Shot-2015-01-26-at-1-20-39-PM.png.cf.jpg

It is a tin can. The whole stadium is metal except for the brick columns you see and the press box. Everywhere you walk: aluminum. Everywhere you sit: aluminum.

Cheap cheap cheap. How else do you explain 45,000 seats at $47M (barely $1000 per seat) when stadiums like UConn, Houston, Tulane, etc. got built for over $2500 per seat.

There's a reason they call it the bounce house: the whole stadium moves when students start jumping around.

Reaction Score
It is a tin can. The whole stadium is metal except for the brick columns you see and the press box. Everywhere you walk: aluminum. Everywhere you sit: aluminum.

Cheap cheap cheap. How else do you explain 45,000 seats at $47M (barely $1000 per seat) when stadiums like UConn, Houston, Tulane, etc. got built for over $2500 per seat.

There's a reason they call it the bounce house: the whole stadium moves when students start jumping around.

It's probably steel not aluminum. Aluminum is expensive.

Reaction Score
Where exactly is WVU going to go if the Big12 falls apart? Or KU for that matter.

With the basketball cred and AAU status, Kansas would be safe if (when) the XII flounders, likely landing in the B1G, though don't rule out the SEC, who can afford a weak football program in exchange for an elite basketball one, and the PAC.

WVU has a football brand; but, it is in a tough spot because its 'home' market is small and not influential and both likely landing spots, the ACC and SEC, have said no before. Nevertheless, I think they are strong enough that if things do go to a P4, they would find a home in one of those two, especially as the ACC gave-up all academic credibility by taking in Louisville CC.

I think OK St is will also be fine as they had enough of a sports name in football and hoops plus a well monied booster to get into the SEC or PAC even without Oklahoma.

Next likely safe school is Texas Tech due exclusively to U Texas.

The rest are in deep trouble as Iowa St is on an island in a small market that is already claimed (U Iowa/B1G). U Kansas does not have the weight to drag K State with it if push came to shove. TCU is in the DFW metro; but, university presidents seem to be shying away from small, private universities when it comes to expansion. Baylor seems to have shot itself in the head and has more immediate concerns than conference realignment, like survival.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Must be an electric experience in a thunderstorm :cool:

Reaction Score
Why is Kansas safe? Population 2.9, which they share with kstate. Their football is absolutely horrible.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Academics clearly don't matter anymore, please stop citing them.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
macklin

Top Bottom