Non-Key Tweets | Page 170 | The Boneyard

Non-Key Tweets

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Guys, academics mean absolutely nothing at all when it comes to athletic conference affiliation.

I hate to agree with the FSU, but just stop, we're embarrassing ourselves here.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Academics are meaningless to everyone but the Big Ten.

Then again, they can afford to be choosy where the ACC has to flail around offering their ass to Notre Dame and swallowing a zipc0de's worth of fans in Kentucky to keep some of their demons at bay. Or the Big 12 taking TCU inside the footprint or West Virginia and whatever they bring.

One's building a network and a future and the other two are just bailing their dingys to keep afloat.

Reaction Score
Guys, academics mean absolutely nothing at all when it comes to athletic conference affiliation.

I hate to agree with the FSU, but just stop, we're embarrassing ourselves here.[/QUOTE
This is true, but..and no one cannot deny, when BC and Miami bolted for the ACC, the ACC was claiming academics mattered and they were raving how wonderful it was that such academic stallworths were joining the ACC. We all know it doesn't matter now. But that is what was stated way back when. FSU and BCU are low life pond scum. That won't change.

Reaction Score
I believe that academics has everything to do with athletic conference affiliation--at least with the B1G--and is the key to understanding their strategy and future plans.

I believe the B1G has made it clear, barring some strange and unlikely extraneous event (like ND and UT wanting in) that they a focused on two locations: NYC and DC. Why the full court press on the mid-Atlantic corridor? Because it's where the money and power is.

If it was about recruiting, they could target Texas or Florida or GTech. All better TV markets, too. But I don't think that's the strategy.

Most if not all of the research money comes directly from the centers of power--and those centers of power have generously bestowed big dollars on the Big Ten. The B1G graduates move to the power centers and feed the cycle.

However, with the demographic shift in the country, they need to expand the footprint and insure they have the clout in NYC and DC to keep the limited supply of research dollars flowing to the B1G--the consortium of the best research universities in the country. They want to imprint B1G into the sports zeitgeist of NYC and DC. They want the TV's in those local markets to be talking nightly about the local B1G teams.

That's part of the reason the push for Maryland, the deal with John Hopkins and the push into lacrosse--a hot and growing sport in the target market.

All things equal, I think the B1G wants UVa bad, bad, bad, and would prefer VTech or NC or both, to UConn. If UConn could somehow get UVa to the table, the entire deal closes.

The other conferences seem to be looking at TV money and TV money alone. B1G is thinking longer term--they did that (TV $) once, with Nebraska, and I think were headed down that road before they pulled up and reconsidered. Even if they get the money, it just gets recycled into the sports arms race--it doesn't help the university as a whole. And, frankly, a lot of the leadership figure football, at least as it's played now, is a dead man walking. For every coach coming into U Prez office asking for support, there's a physiology researcher or medical school brain coming in to say, "You've got to kill football. You're hurting these kids."

Research dollars, though, they go on and on and on--as long as you can be at the front of the line when they're dished out. B1G just wants the dollar-dishing power centers to think B1G first and it will help a lot if they plant flags in those power centers.

That is UConn's aspiration and ultimate hope. Geographically, almost ideal. Sports--great bb, the rest are projects. But that's okay with the B1G. For B1G sports fans, the Rutgers/Maryland additions were met with something ranging from indifference to overt despair and hostility. Both project schools, especially Rutgers. But they're great universities in the right locations--the sports will come along or not--it's only partially about TV--it's all about building a great research cartel. If the sports happens to entertain a few of us along the way, that's good, but it would be better if we ran the appropriations committee.

All of which is to say this: if UConn wants to be B1G, you may have great sports teams or totally sucky teams, but you will be a great and highly-respected university getting a healthy chunk of the total research spending in this country. And it's all, or mostly all, about academics.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
is.

If it was about recruiting, they could target Texas or Florida or GTech. All better TV markets, too. But I don't think that's the strategy.

That is UConn's aspiration and ultimate hope. Geographically, almost ideal. Sports--great bb, the rest are projects. .

Nice post. I have a couple of comments.

The Hartford/New Haven DMA is ranked 30th overall with a population of @2.5 million. That's pretty attractive in and of itself but their is more to it than just this number. Fairfield County Connecticut is included in the NYC DMA and is comprised of about an additional million. Connecticut consistently is either the top or second wealthiest state on a household earnings basis. In addition without any pro sports and with no significant competition from other state colleges, UConn consistently has very good ratings. Texas Florida and Georgia residents have divided loyalties. That isn't the case in Connecticut. Connecticut athletics is attractive both under the traditional subscriber concept and the more forward looking advertiser based approach that the B1G is likely exploring. In addition, as Michigan State now knows well, UConn's reach extends beyond it's boarder to NYC and Madison Square Garden is a de facto UConn home court.

All that is just a quibble. I enjoyed your post, regardless.
Regarding the notion that Connecticut athletics " are projects, other than basketball" I suspect that you are not that familiar with the athletic department at UConn. Of our 20 national championships, only 13 our basketball related. While it is true that UConn football is rebuilding after an epically bad coaching hire, it wasn't all that long ago that we went to a BCS bowl. Baseball is spitting out successful pro's, as is football, soccer and, of course basketball. UConn is in its first year as a Hockey East school and it lead that prestigious league in attendance.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
I believe that academics has everything to do with athletic conference affiliation--at least with the B1G--and is the key to understanding their strategy and future plans.

I believe the B1G has made it clear, barring some strange and unlikely extraneous event (like ND and UT wanting in) that they a focused on two locations: NYC and DC. Why the full court press on the mid-Atlantic corridor? Because it's where the money and power is.

Most if not all of the research money comes directly from the centers of power--and those centers of power have generously bestowed big dollars on the Big Ten. The B1G graduates move to the power centers and feed the cycle.

However, with the demographic shift in the country, they need to expand the footprint and insure they have the clout in NYC and DC to keep the limited supply of research dollars flowing to the B1G--the consortium of the best research universities in the country. They want to imprint B1G into the sports zeitgeist of NYC and DC. They want the TV's in those local markets to be talking nightly about the local B1G teams.

That's part of the reason the push for Maryland, the deal with John Hopkins and the push into lacrosse--a hot and growing sport in the target market.

All things equal, I think the B1G wants UVa bad, bad, bad, and would prefer VTech or NC or both, to UConn. If UConn could somehow get UVa to the table, the entire deal closes.

The other conferences seem to be looking at TV money and TV money alone. B1G is thinking longer term--they did that (TV $) once, with Nebraska, and I think were headed down that road before they pulled up and reconsidered. Even if they get the money, it just gets recycled into the sports arms race--it doesn't help the university as a whole. And, frankly, a lot of the leadership figure football, at least as it's played now, is a dead man walking. For every coach coming into U Prez office asking for support, there's a physiology researcher or medical school brain coming in to say, "You've got to kill football. You're hurting these kids."

Research dollars, though, they go on and on and on--as long as you can be at the front of the line when they're dished out. B1G just wants the dollar-dishing power centers to think B1G first and it will help a lot if they plant flags in those power centers.

That is UConn's aspiration and ultimate hope. Geographically, almost ideal. Sports--great bb, the rest are projects. But that's okay with the B1G. For B1G sports fans, the Rutgers/Maryland additions were met with something ranging from indifference to overt despair and hostility. Both project schools, especially Rutgers. But they're great universities in the right locations--the sports will come along or not--it's only partially about TV--it's all about building a great research cartel. If the sports happens to entertain a few of us along the way, that's good, but it would be better if we ran the appropriations committee.

All of which is to say this: if UConn wants to be B1G, you may have great sports teams or totally sucky teams, but you will be a great and highly-respected university getting a healthy chunk of the total research spending in this country. And it's all, or mostly all, about academics.

Are you by any chance Greg Flugaur (Twitter handle)? I only ask because of the Gopher similarities between your handle here and Flugaur's Twitter profile.

Regardless, I agree completely with what you said. UCONN's top 4 criteria to improving their CR profile are:
1. academics/research - push towards AAU acceptance (or, at least, falling well within range of majority of AAU institutions);
2. improving football - UCONN will never be an Alabama, Ohio St, or USC level football program, but it can be (and has been) a very competitive football program in a BCS/P5 model;
3. DMA/TV reach - Hartford/New Haven is #30 but UCONN also has presence in NYC DMA and is covered, albeit not as fervently as in CT, in Boston;
4. men's basketball - top 3-5 elite hoops program in the country...really only have to stay "scandal free" during our CR quest.

I think that UCONN leadership knows that academics/research are #1 and most important for B1G membership, hence the push to secure an additional $1.5B from our state to accelerate expanding our research profile. Some of the new construction funded by that $1.5B is nearly done and we've already seen it pay off with prestigious designations. I completely agree with your point about sports - sports are cyclical; some years are "up" years and some are "down" years. I have no doubt that our football program will improve back to respectability soon...at least, restoring the program to where it was before Paul Pasqualoni was hired by our former AD. But the push towards AAU is of most importance to UCONN. Once our research profile fits in well with other B1G schools, I think UCONN fits in very well in the B1G. We're a large, public flagship northern-based school that puts equal emphasis on academics within our athletic department while remaining competitive in all/most sports in most athletic years.

Anyway, I do think UCONN is putting on a full-court press for B1G membership. I have no idea who our partner would be but until one is identified, it is clear that UCONN's leadership is doing everything possible to address the 4 criteria listed above.

Reaction Score

I hate to agree with the FSU, but just stop, we're embarrassing ourselves here.
Before CR, I didn't understand the connection. Now I think I do.
The B1G is clearly the most established in terms of its mission. You will continue to see speculation about large flagship U's possibly leaving the ACC, or the Big 12 for that matter, for the B1g. I highly doubt you will read about any B1G school leaving the B1g voluntarily. It won't happen.
Academics absolutely mean a great deal in the B1G.

Reaction Score
Before CR, I didn't understand the connection. Now I think I do.
The B1G is clearly the most established in terms of its mission. You will continue to see speculation about large flagship U's possibly leaving the ACC, or the Big 12 for that matter, for the B1g. I highly doubt you will read about any B1G school leaving the B1g voluntarily. It won't happen.
Academics absolutely mean a great deal in the B1G.

I will say this: a lot PSU Football Fans (<-- emphasis here) want out of the BIG for mostly ridiculous reasons. These fans have been instrumental in restoring JoPa's wins, bowl revenues & the statue is next. It's an ongoing reality on their Internet boards - say what you will, but the sentiments are daily and constant.

Never underestimate grassroots movements.

Reaction Score
I will say this: a lot PSU Football Fans (<-- emphasis here) want out of the BIG for mostly ridiculous reasons. These fans have been instrumental in restoring JoPa's wins, bowl revenues & the statue is next. It's an ongoing reality on their Internet boards - say what you will, but the sentiments are daily and constant.

There's always a spot for them in the American.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Hey welcome to the American! Any chance you can help us out with getting an invite to the B1G?"

Reaction Score

To be fair, there are Penn Staters who favor staying in the Big Ten. However, as conferences get bigger and go beyond the traditional regional limits you would get a lot of these sentiments with several fanbases. There are Oklahoma fans who want to leave the Big 12, Florida State fans who want to leave the ACC, Penn State fans who want to leave the Big Ten. The grass is always "greener" on the other side.

That's why it's best to leave the realignment business to the presidents and athletic directors. Fans have too much emotionally invested and don't think through the other stuff.

Reaction Score
Greg Flugaur‏@flugempire 6h6 hours ago
"@rwesthead: Interesting times in NCAA hockey. Penn State hockey program turned a profit this yr with $4.4M in revenue" Rutgers listening?

Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 5h5 hours ago
@flugempire @expansion_crush UCONN played PSU in a doubleheader this past season. Easy travel. @UConnMHOC leads Hockey East in attendance

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 5h5 hours ago
@expansion_crush And the elephant in the room people don't like to talk about when it comes to expansion... But Presidents do..CT has money

ChiTownLionPSU ‏@ChiTownLionPSU 5h5 hours ago
@flugempire @expansion_crush <-- Hey, @SpencerLeone. You should give these guys a follow. #B1G

@flugempire @expansion_crush I agree - CT is not a fertile football recruiting ground. But UCONN area can deliver hoops and hockey recruits.

@expansion_crush If Boren doesn't give a wink and a nod to Delany...if Schools in Virginia don't give Delany any love...UCONN becomes viable

@expansion_crush The most underrated part of expansion talk is how much money-branding-prestige the Big Ten will be getting from BTN 3-5 yrs

@expansion_crush People are clouded by the "cord cutting" mantra. BTN is becoming more and more dominant. And simple economics will push..

@flugempire @expansion_crush Something else...UCONN fans would chop off their own arms to be a part of the B1G. No Maryland backlash here.

@expansion_crush ..Delany to feed BTN...which increasing feeds Big Ten schools. Because of all of this and more...UCONN needs to be watched

Daniel Mountcastle ‏@expansion_crush 5h5 hours ago
@flugempire Although I've stated many times that I like Oklahoma and Kansas as the next members of the Big Ten, I think UConn and Kansas....

@flugempire are the two likeliest additions. Especially since no current ACC or BXII (sans Kansas) schools seems slightly interested

@flugempire Kansas has been especially quiet regarding realignment or potential realignment compared to the rest of the BXII.

@flugempire Delaney is on record saying that any conversation with potential schools have already been made. This was when people.....

@flugempire where asking about the secret meeting location that has been used in all face to face meetings with potential schools.

@flugempire He wouldn't disclose the location or the schools that were in talks. He said the Big Ten had contact with less than 6 schools.

@flugempire then a month later Lee Barknefkt says that the Big Ten was looking at 3 schools in particular. And that other opportunities....

@flugempire were present on the Atlantic farther south and a couple of Midwest schools. Oklahoma and Kansas are Midwestern geographicly.

@flugempire If anything, Kansas has learned from Missouri on how to handle the information.

Big Ten hockey on the BTN/Fox Sports has been beneficial to the network...reaping good ratings. Pie is growing. More content will be wanted

Doug ‏@NebGradDubDub 36m36 minutes ago
@flugempire hockey is a revenue driver for some AD departments. Nebraska would add it if it weren't for title 9 concerns

Big Ten Hockey will expand in the next few years and according to all public information it will not probably happen from inside B1G conf

@expansion_crush UCONN becomes a more interesting candidate for the Big Ten every time the calendar flips to a new year. Entering sweetspot

@expansion_crush Biggest Negative for UCONN is the absence of a football recruiting grounds. But not being a Football brand is no deal break

@expansion_crush Big 10 East Div does not need another Big Brand Football. Simple economics is driving next B1G expansion...good times...

@expansion_crush ...good times propels expansion. BTN in 5 years will be much more different than it even is today in power and $.

Reaction Score
@expansion_crush Delany told ESPN during last negotiations "Consider dice rolled"....months later BTN became reverent. Now at this time...

Daniel Mountcastle ‏@expansion_crush 6h6 hours ago
@flugempire Delaney knows how to get what he wants for sure.

@expansion_crush ...Delany will use the power of the BTN(in creating wealth for all Big Ten members) to create huge leverage in negotiations

@expansion_crush So if you look ahead to what Delany wants the BTN to become...UCONN is starting to look like a piece. UCONN content is...

@expansion_crush...is more valuable to business model of the Big Ten than it is for Big 12 or ACC. UCONN best chance to get invite....

Greg Flugaur ‏@flugempire 6h6 hours ago
@expansion_crush It also would take a mini miracle and have a 15th available (Missouri ) with interest from both sides. Don't see it

@expansion_crush But UCONN is entering a sweet spot for Big Ten metrics. Example: Now that Penn St is making good $ off of hockey in 2nd yr

@expansion_crush ..how much more interested would Penn St be in a UCONN candidacy? There is much more money to be made in hockey next 10 yrs

@expansion_crush ...how much more interested is Wisconsin and Michigan in a UCONN candidacy with support UCONN is getting in research in CT?

Dooley ‏@DooleyMcStitch 6h6 hours ago
@flugempire @expansion_crush UCONN played PSU in a doubleheader this past season. Easy travel. @UConnMHOC leads Hockey East in attendance

@expansion_crush And the elephant in the room people don't like to talk about when it comes to expansion... But Presidents do..CT has money

@expansion_crush If Boren doesn't give a wink and a nod to Delany...if Schools in Virginia don't give Delany any love...UCONN becomes viable

@expansion_crush The most underrated part of expansion talk is how much money-branding-prestige the Big Ten will be getting from BTN 3-5 yrs

@expansion_crush People are clouded by the "cord cutting" mantra. BTN is becoming more and more dominant. And simple economics will push..

@expansion_crush ..Delany to feed BTN...which increasing feeds Big Ten schools. Because of all of this and more...UCONN needs to be watched

ME: Keeping that hope alive. Right, Flug?

Reaction Score

You realize that only a few thousand people on average post on these message boards ? Probably less than a third of them hold the opinion you state as being the prevalent one. Another third are equally opposed, while the rest (like myself) can see arguments for both. PSU has over a half a million living alumni, not to mention millions of non affiliated fans. Its fairly difficult to categorize anything you read on FOS, BWI, or 247 as being indicative of how this massive group of people think. I'm not sure what team you support,(Minnesota maybe?)but if your team wasn't a member of its current conference for close to 100 years, didn't have the majority of its alumni located within the conference's footprint, and had no competing conferences that could make a reasonable argument for your inclusion, It would stand to reason that you would be pretty satisfied with where you were positioned. PSU is different. It has options. Its unlikely that they will ever exercise them, but they are out there should they want or need to.

Reaction Score
I'll say this about Flug, he doesn't say he has info when he doesn't have it. He makes a lot of deductions from information that's out there and doesn't make bold predictions or prognostications. A good amount of what he says is level-headed thoughts. He's interesting to read for sure.

Reaction Score
I'll say this about Flug, he doesn't say he has info when he doesn't have it. He makes a lot of deductions from information that's out there and doesn't make bold predictions or prognostications. A good amount of what he says is level-headed thoughts. He's interesting to read for sure.

Well yeah, it sounds like stuff from this board :)

Reaction Score
Well yeah, it sounds like stuff from this board :)
Sure, but at least he has a track record of getting something spot on and right before it happened. The problem with the Dude and MHv3 is they have no history of getting something exactly right, yet still make specific predictions and claim to have inside info when they don't.

Reaction Score
So what did the Dude have for us last Wednesday? He was going to triple check his sources and make a big announcement.

Reaction Score
So what did the Dude have for us last Wednesday? He was going to triple check his sources and make a big announcement.

I confess. He had the story of my hooking up with Ronda Rousey

Reaction Score
zilch. guy's a fraud. another thing I like about Flug, doesn't make ridiculous promises of info he has and will release.

Reaction Score
I'll say this - the desire to believe this guy is directly related to any positive spin he can put on our chances at a P-5 invite. Generally, he's no better than a broken clock; but hell, a broken clock is right twice a day...

Reaction Score
For the record, I'm nobody--not even Greg Flugaur. I am a Gopher fan, having grown up in MN, and my online name here is a nod to True Don Blue, the jock on KDWB63 in the Twin Cities back when the world was young. (On the radio, it always sounded like "Dom" to me.)

To clarify a couple of things: when I referred to UConn sports other than bb as "projects", I meant that they will take longer to brand to the B1G. The association UConn=Hockey=B1G will take longer to build than, say, basketball. (Right now if I say, "UConn would be a great hockey add for the Big Ten," the reaction is too frequently, "UConn has hockey?") Not denigrating UConn sports in any way.

I will say this--for the similarities with Greg Flugaur, my analysis is somewhat different. I think that if the B1G had a do-over, they wouldn't take Nebraska. Although they won't say so publicly, I think they'd be happy to give'em back. (Like PSU, there's a Nebraska contingent clamoring to go back to Texas. Small but vocal.) I think B1G would completely leave the west alone. And I think they're done out west even if Boren calls (although they'd undoubtedly gulp hard).

I won't bore you with my thought processes, but if there's a wildcard at the bottom of the pile, it's this: Kentucky.

Of course, I'm frequently wrong--just ask my wife.

Reaction Score
I won't bore you with my thought processes, but if there's a wildcard at the bottom of the pile, it's this: Kentucky.

Of course, I'm frequently wrong--just ask my wife.

Kentucky is too far down the academic pile.

Nebraska was a great add. I would take them just for their fans. And at the time I think B1G was thinking of a TV deal with the PAC, so it made even more sense.

And with how things turned out, the present configuration with tOSU, UM, MSU and PSU in the same division would be too unbalanced with the West to make it work. Sure, the alignment could have been altered, but I believe B1G wanted to make a splash in the East and gave the new kids 2 of 4 headliners from the East + at least 1 headliner from the West at home every year (for now).

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom