Nobody wants to spend 2.5 hours at a regulation NCAAB game | The Boneyard

Nobody wants to spend 2.5 hours at a regulation NCAAB game

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
No, you’re right.

Not sure what the solution is - the reviews have got to change, though.

If you did not see a flagrant clear enough to call it, skip the review.

Maybe just review the ones you do call.

Reaction Score
They had money on the Illinois-Indiana game and went to the monitor to get an update.

I would argue, based on the inconsistent whistle in the last 5 minutes or so, that our refs had money on Hall and the 10-11 pts. so they succeeded. suspend the 3 of them and check their venmos/PayPal’s/and equivalents!

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I would argue, based on the inconsistent whistle in the last 5 minutes or so, that our refs had money on Hall and the 10-11 pts. so they succeeded. suspend the 3 of them and check their venmos/PayPal’s/and equivalents!

I thought the calls went SHU’s way for like 30 minutes and then our way for like 10.

I think Sanogo and Hawkins have their own rule book - you can put your hands all over both but if they extend their hands at all, they get whistled

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
And what's with all the jump ball calls this year? Get a rebound cleanly, 2 hands on the ball, and an opponent grabs your wrist or elbow, and it's a jump ball? Seems to happen 3 or 4 times a game these days.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
No, you’re right.

Not sure what the solution is - the reviews have got to change, though.

If you did not see a flagrant clear enough to call it, skip the review.

Maybe just review the ones you do call.
How do reviews take so long? Like they show the review and I can tell in 5 seconds

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I agree that the officiating has to get better, but there's nowhere I'd rather be than XL/Gampel for 2.5 or 3 hours. Bad thread title.
If it's 2.5 hours in regulation time, what you're watching is fouls, free throws, reviews and officials huddling. You're not watching a free flowing game with rhythm

Unfortunately, a better game to watch is 2 hours or less.

A six OT game in MSG is a different story

Reaction Score
I’d love to see the Men’s game move to 4 quarters with adjusted timeouts. It’s really sped up the Women’s game.

Reaction Score
I’d love to see the Men’s game move to 4 quarters with adjusted timeouts. It’s really sped up the Women’s game.
I see this brought up a lot but don't really see how this fixes anything

Reaction Score
I see this brought up a lot but don't really see how this fixes anything
2 less media timeouts per game probably shaves 5 minutes off. Maybe less FTs too since it resets every quarter, though I'm not sure what the data would say on that

Reaction Score
Re: quarters. Agree how does adding two mandatory stoppages speed up a game? Advertisers aren’t ever giving up time. So adding an extra two buzzers would decrease flow within most games.

Reaction Score
Anecdotally it seems the change has cut 10 minutes or so from the Women’s games. Less timeouts, with adjusted breaks for TV, as well as 5 fouls and no “1 and 1s” really seem to help the flow.

Reaction Score
Heck, I'm old enough to remember when the NBA had 3-to-make-2 and 2-to-make-1 free throws.

Also, most women's games seem to end in under 2 hours, which gives them time to interview a player and/or coach after the game.

Reaction Score
It would be more enjoyable if they toned down the music during the stoppages.

Reaction Score
They aren’t (would never) giving up commercials in the men’s games. When has the nc2a ever made a decision that reduces revenue?!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I watch about 85% of the season off my Dad Video Recorder. I swear I was looking for a fast forward button during the 1st media TO (which have ballooned from 2 minutes to 3 1/2) vs. Marquette, as even if I watch a game live, I can still rewind, pause, and catch up. Cell service at the XL Center was awful too, so I couldn't catch up on texts or emails. Going to the bathroom in that old barn at halftime is a fools errand as well.

We'll see if Gampel is any better tonight. I'll at least have a couple more pops in me (due to my environment), than I did at the Marquette game.

The in-arena atmosphere is second to none, but the overall affair has fallen far behind the at-home experience in virtually every single other aspect.

As far as gameflow is concerned, I never believed I would long for an officiating crew of Ted Valentine, Jim Burr, and Tim Higgins. Yet here we are.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom