No way to sugarcoat this | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No way to sugarcoat this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Will it ever end? A spitting match with two couples sitting behind us in 221. These folks told us we were being impolite by standing for the opening kick off. Next it was 3rd down on defense. I would never want to scare off potential fans but we have many that are still clueless.......

Nope... Just like the kid wearing the Philly Eagles Jersey and his brother wearing a ND T-shirt. I just SMH....

Reaction Score
Yesterday was the type of game other programs sell to their season ticket holders as filler knowing the demand will be unaffected as they accept it as the price of season tickets. Many sell or give away these tickets to other fans who despite the opponent are excited to be at the event because the supply does not allow them to do so. That is not us right now.

Much like Jim Calhoun's early recruiting pitches, "Come to UConn and you can play against Georgetown, St. Johns, Villanova, Seton Hall, and Syracuse." Some came and eventually proved themselves on the court until the recruiting pitch changed, "Come to UConn and you can play with Ray Allen, Rip Hamilton, and Donyell Marshall and complete for championships." This is no different.

The moral of the story is to stop building your home schedule around teams that no one wants to see, like Buffalo.

Right on the money. Rather see us lose putting up a fight against a Michigan and Ohio State any day of the week, than splitting against Western Michigan and pulling a lack luster, virtually meaningless win against a Buffalo. This is the land of small dreamers and smaller thinkers. If we want to throw away a 1OO MM plus investment, just keep doing what we're doing. This is becoming a pivotal season. I dread a 5-6 winseason which might just be enough to get by and keep the status quo. I firmly believe without a fan base uprising demanding a better product, they are more than happy deluding themselves they have a good enough priduct to keep collecting season tickets and brats and beer .

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Right on the money. Rather see us lose putting up a fight against a Michigan and Ohio State any day of the week, than splitting against Western Michigan and pulling a lack luster, virtually meaningless win against a Buffalo. This is the land of small dreamers and smaller thinkers. If we want to throw away a 1OO MM plus investment, just keep doing what we're doing. This is becoming a pivotal season. I dread a 5-6 winseason which might just be enough to get by and keep the status quo. I firmly believe without a fan base uprising demanding a better product, they are more than happy deluding themselves they have a good enough priduct to keep collecting season tickets and brats and beer .

Stony Brook, Vermont, Wichita State, New Hampshire, UMBC, Farleigh Dickenson, Coppin State, Harvard.

Those are 8 of the 21 regular season wins that we had with our 2011 National Championship team. I guess that Jim Calhoun was a small dreamer and small thinker. He understood (like many do) that you need to schedule a couple of games that improve your record along the way, because having a better record affects recruiting, rankings, and playoff position. The idea that we are going to line up murderer's row like Notre Dame football does under our young state of football is stupid. Ask Coach Hill and Fresno State how the "play anyone anywhere" ideology has treated them!!

Reaction Score
Stony Brook, Vermont, Wichita State, New Hampshire, UMBC, Farleigh Dickenson, Coppin State, Harvard.

Those are 8 of the 21 regular season wins that we had with our 2011 National Championship team. I guess that Jim Calhoun was a small dreamer and small thinker. He understood (like many do) that you need to schedule a couple of games that improve your record along the way, because having a better record affects recruiting, rankings, and playoff position. The idea that we are going to line up murderer's row like Notre Dame football does under our young state of football is stupid. Ask Coach Hill and Fresno State how the "play anyone anywhere" ideology has treated them!!

Apples and oranges my friend. As for stupidity, thinking you can develop a top program and recruit top talent lining up against UMass, Western Michigan and Buffalo in a depleted Bug East conference on its way to the gutter, that's moronic. To be the best you play the best. The Big East is murders row in Basketball. The shoe is on the other foot with UConn BB.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Apples and oranges my friend. As for stupidity, thinking you can develop a top program and recruit top talent lining up against UMass, Western Michigan and Buffalo in a depleted Bug East conference on its way to the gutter, that's moronic. To be the best you play the best. The Big East is murders row in Basketball. The shoe is on the other foot with UConn BB.

No, it's actually not moronic. Cincinnati plays their fair share of MAC's and cupcakes (this year includes Delaware State, Miami (OH), Fordham, and Toledo) and they have now begun winning recruiting battles in Ohio for coveted players. They have had double-digit win seasons, Big East titles, and BCS games. They only sprinkle in a marquis game or two, not five. No, my friend, it is not moronic. It's pretty friggin' smart...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
To further hit upon that point, Louisville is getting the most respect out of any team in the Big East right now. Who is their OOC schedule comprised of? UK (rivalry game) and UNC, but also Missouri State, FIU, and Southern Miss. Then they go into Big East play undefeated, and even if they take two losses in conference, they are a 10 win team going to a nice bowl and ready to win even more recruiting battles, setting them up for the future ahead...

Reaction Score
We stayed after and ran around on the field. They gave balls to all of the kids so I got to play catch with my son on the field. Great time.

Until we get to the point where the games are "events" that people plan around, they will just do the best they can. Of three games I was late twice and had to leave early once for family obligations (not drinking in the parking lot). Most people would have stayed home. I don't see that as an option. But I'm crazy.

And by event I mean a combination of our team's prospects, the opponent, the situation (time of year, what's at stake), and game time.

Curious for the thoughts of those that are obsessed with TV contracts--the other side of being ruled by TV is that we have games at times that work for them, not us. And our program doesn't have the track record to dictate otherwise.

Reaction Score

Not thrilled about the losing piece, but I absolutely get your point. UConn fans need to demand more of this program,

Reaction Score
It's getting to the point where I can watch WVU more than I can watch Uconn.

I can't relate to this. At all. And I really don't understand it. I have an emotional commitment to UConn. Maybe she ain't always pretty, and maybe she isn't always rich, but she is my one true love. The rest of those dames can f off.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
It's getting to the point where I can watch WVU more than I can watch Uconn.
Not me but then again, I have a difficult with Canadian football as well.

I do like to see some defense (granted we haven't always been the best example of this) and something more than a pin ball machine counter rolling higher and higher (although I do wish we were not so inept on offense). Highlights alone from the WVU-Baylor game got to be a bit much as there where some plays when I questioned: "why even bother putting defenders on the field?".

If what happened in Morgantown this past Saturday is the future of college football in this country (I imagine TDH would be thrilled if it is) the sport will lose a number of quality fans (a if it is lucky, replace them with a lot of kids looking for glitz and glitter).

Reaction Score
No, it's actually not moronic. Cincinnati plays their fair share of MAC's and cupcakes (this year includes Delaware State, Miami (OH), Fordham, and Toledo) and they have now begun winning recruiting battles in Ohio for coveted players. They have had double-digit win seasons, Big East titles, and BCS games. They only sprinkle in a marquis game or two, not five. No, my friend, it is not moronic. It's pretty friggin' smart...
Ok. Lets keep doing what we're doing and see where that ends us up. As much as you love the program like I do, there comes a point when defending mediocrity does nothing to help your team. Things have to change in a big way and most of us can see the handwriting on the wall. The good news is the first step to a cure is admitting there is a problem, and most of us see a big problem.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
It's absolutely a Connecticut thing, but I don't understand why it CONTINUES to be a Connecticut thing, outside of us being in the "land of steady habits." The problem really is the fact that it continues to be a CT thing AND we believe that we are ready for the big-time. Those two things don't agree with each other...

It's not just a CT thing. It happens everywhere. Dodgers fans never stay, nor A's fans. Patriots and Giants, KC Chiefs, 49ers, SJ Sharks, I've seen it everywhere. The places where people are most likely to stay are stadiums on campus in the college game, or in cities or near mass transit in the pro game. The more people in the place that don't have to get in a car, the better. And the shorter and easier their drive after, the more likely those that drive will stay. The other exception is with places like Nebraska, where the whole state basically shuts down on game day.

The reason it seems like a CT thing is that there is no place in the state where most of the people at an event will live or be staying nearby. Basketball at Gampel is probably the closest, and it would be more so if they had a higher % of student tickets.

Reaction Score
I can't relate to this. At all. And I really don't understand it. I have an emotional commitment to UConn. Maybe she ain't always pretty, and maybe she isn't always rich, but she is my one true love. The rest of those dames can f off.
As I said, I'm a season ticket holder. I go to the games. I just hope there are a lot - a real lot - of folks like you out there. All watching Uconn sports no mater what.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom