No Timeline For Azzi’s Return | Page 3 | The Boneyard

No Timeline For Azzi’s Return

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
On every trip, I had braces on my knees, the ones with the steel braves running down both sides of the knee. I needed the stability that injuries and operations took away.
This is a question I've had. In the past, when there were players with repaired knees, you'd see them playing with these braces (Morgan Tuck and Brittany Hunter for UConn come to mind), but now I don't see that at all. Is there a reason that seems to have changed?

I've never had a knee injury (though I do have two surgically-repaired ankles), so I don't know anything about wearing a knee brace for stability while playing. I'm only commenting that I used to see them a lot more in WBB, and now I don't.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While all the injuries this season have really been a bummer. UConn fans have to be thrilled at the extraordinary development of Dorka, Aaliyah, Aubrey, Nika & Lou as the default starting 5. It’s almost inconceivable that all 5 players have made giant leaps over previous seasons to the point where they match up with just about anyone.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I missed Sunday’s game. How was her knee reinsured?

Around the 3:25 mark in the second quarter Azzi knocked knees with Georgetown's center #21 Ariel Jenkins, it looked like she hit Azzi behind the right side of the knee and it appeared to have gave way.

Reaction Score
She bumped into one of the Georgetown players coming through the lane and banged/knocked knees
Let's clear this up... she had her back to the GT player who came up to screen her, and hit the side of her knee doing it.

Reaction Score
They’d tell you if she needed surgery.

I think she will be back this season. Dropping the ‘NO TIMETABLE’ nuke takes all the pressure off both her and the coaching staff to make something happen. This was the correct response.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Not surprised by this news. I wish Azzi all the best and I hope she recovers fully.

But, I've had both knees operated on twice. From my perspective, your knees are never quite the same. I have backpacked the Appalachians and the Sangre de Cristo mountain range in New Mexico. On every trip, I had braces on my knees, the ones with the steel braves running down both sides of the knee. I needed the stability that injuries and operations took away.

Today I bike regularly. I wear compression knee sleeves every time out.

Just my perspective.
People that have had knee surgeries or injuries that require/required a brace of some kind and some degree of rehabilitation understand. They’ve walked down that road. Those that have not, don’t. Similar to a high ankle sprain. Different than a lower ankle sprain that requires less time to heal.

I understand fans’ eagerness for Azzi’s return. I want her to return yesterday, but I don’t worry about it. She’ll be back when we see her enter a game. I’m more concerned about the players that dress and are available. They are the players that will determine whether UConn wins or loses. Azzi will be back when she’s back.

The most important thing for this team to do is continue to win their games, and try not to get injured. None of us can “wish” Azzi back. If we could, she would be back already, and would not have missed those 8 games.

Reaction Score
As much as I would love to see Azzi in uniform and playing, I'd prefer that she allow her knee to heal. If that means having to wait until next year so that she can play 100% fully healthy, I will lead the chorus. As grateful as I am that Paige came back from her surgery last season, part of me had hoped she wouldn't return until this season. Athletes want to play and happen to be overly optimistic on their level of readiness. I look at OSU's Jacy Sheldon as another who may or may not have returned too soon.

I know sports medicine has made tremendous strides in helping athletes' return from previously career-ending injuries. Yes, the mind and body is resilient, but basketball is a physically demanding sport, particularly on the knees. Thankfully, inadvertent elbows to the head and other head blows are taken more seriously than they were 40 years ago. UConn has unfortunately been exposed to too much of both over the past two seasons.

There is still a lot to look forward to this season. The players left standing are a great bunch of girls, fun to watch, and capable of playing at an exceedingly high level of play. Selfishly, I want to be able to watch Paige and Azzi play together when both are fully healthy. Collectively, we've waited 2 years to see this fulfilled. Of course, I don't know the extent of Azzi's injury, but having experienced more than my share of athletic injuries, I question the integrity of her knee at this moment, and whether it can hold up or withstands the rigors placed on it until it can fully recover. If there is any doubt, I'd prefer to be overly cautious.

Next season, UConn could have it most offensively gifted team ever, if only all of the pieces are available. That team has the potential to be written into the history books. I would love to witness it.

Reaction Score
So we move on. Updates on CD and Patterson, or we just wait until Saturday and see who is on the bench in uniform, and then we wait till Monday and see who is on the bench in uniform. Soooooo depressing. As noted above, two of the best and we have yet to see them really play together with both in good health.
I expect to see only the "healthy seve"n for the Butler game. We don't need more to beat Butler, and it gives another week for Caroline and Patterson to recover. As for Azzi, I think the UCONN staff knows she should have surgery ( and will eventually ) , but they ( and Azzi ) are hoping that another month of rest could allow her to play in March and April. Burt they may be proven wrong. The fact that the knee buckled upon relatively routine contact is reason for concern. This is simply a disaster. In any case, it isn't absolutely clear what is wrong.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Dear god..............

This IS NOT a good report. Again, a report coming from a reporter and not the team. Azzi can't help us right now, and it appears she won't in the next few days. Not the news I wanted to hear. :( We have already proven we can win without Azzi. Let's focus on what we do have, and not on what (who) we don't.

I have a feeling Caroline and Ayanna will return before Azzi does. Just one fan's mindset, but I don't think about Azzi. I think about the players we do have, and how they can/will contribute to helping us win our next game.

Last edited:

Carnac

Reaction Score
CONNCAN, I would give you 100 likes for this post if I could. They showed what they can do when they are completely and totally in sync against Seton Hall. They would have beaten anybody THAT night. Great post!!!

Reaction Score
Azzi Fudd has bad knees. We knew that when she came to Uconn. Unfortunately, she will never, ever be all that she be because in D1 basketball the player's knees are always in jeopardy; or likely, possibly available to be banged, or stretched, or twisted etc. Also, Azzi is not a player to play through a minor injury. She is a prissy player not likely to play through a minor injury. I don't think we will see much more of her at Uconn. This knee problem will follow he into the WNBA. She likely, will be limited as a pro and will be a player who had great promise but was injured in HS and who never achieves the promise that her talent suggested. Luckily, we'll have KK Arnold, Ashlynn Shade and Allie Z in upcoming years to restore our faith in talented players. But I'm off the Azzi Fudd train......

Reaction Score
I don’t think she will return until maybe the NCAA tournament. But they should shut her down for the season to prevent any further injuries. It’s an unpopular opinion on this board. But Azzi is set to make a lot of money in the future, and play a lot of basketball. No need to jeopardize that. They have a better chance next year to win it all.

Reaction Score
I don’t think she will return until maybe the NCAA tournament. But they should shut her down for the season to prevent any further injuries. It’s an unpopular opinion on this board. But Azzi is set to make a lot of money in the future, and play a lot of basketball. No need to jeopardize that. They have a better chance next year to win it all.
Is she though? To make a lot of money in women's basketball you really have to play for a long while, I don't know that a long pro career is in the cards considering how many injuries she's already had to deal with. There is a very real chance that the most money she will make is at Uconn, and trust me she's already made a lot of money here.

Reaction Score
Given the amount of times Aaliyah gets "knocked down," we don't really know how hard she was pushed. Was she just trying to draw a foul? Given Aaliyah's size and strength, it seems to me it would be pretty difficult to knock her off her feet.

It reminds me of soccer players, and who goes down legitimately. Having played a little, I can tell you having your feet stepped on by another player wearing cleats, or someone kicking at you feet and legs with full force, it really, really hurts. ( Sorry for going off on a tangent.)
Aaliyah knew Azzi was there and would not flop with her there . She was picking for her. The defender was trying to get to Azzi and pushed her with both arms. I think it was pretty clear. The referees allowed everything that game and that encourages these kinds of plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom