No program would ever fire a coach after 1 game | Page 2 | The Boneyard

No program would ever fire a coach after 1 game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is probably the least important reason to do anything. And we're no more a national laughingstock than Indiana, Duke, Michigan, Virginia Tech, Oregon State, BC and others were after they lost to an FCS team to start the season - and I'm sure there are a lot more than those mentioned. Remember Pitt last year? It happens.

Replacing PP after this game would certainly make us a topic of conversation which in the game of CR wouldn't be the worst thing I suppose. But the real reason something should be done is to provide this team and its fans something they haven't had in what feels like a long time - hope. Finishing out this season with PP will feel like a long death march and put the final nail in the coffin that is the broader fan base of UConn football.

Are we really arguing over the best reason to fire PP?

Reaction Score
We were all screaming for PP and GDL's heads early last year and the best we got was GDL moving to associate HC and TJ Weist to OC. These two are still a cancer on this program. How frickin' long do we have to stay the course and give them time for improvement, while in the meantime endure one hopeless performance after another before Warde finally sacks up and pulls the plug?

Reaction Score
I am a traditionalist who didn't think Notre Dame should have broken its 5 year run tradition when they fired Willingham, but i have no problem saying Pasqualoni needs to just go. If it wasn't clear before, it is now. I have followed UConn football for a number of years going back to my undergraduate days. That was the worst effort I can remember. Ever. Even going back to New Haven...at least that was close. This game wasn't even close. Three years into the program and the offensive line just gets worse and worse. D-line getting pushed around by a 1AA group. Disorganized. All you guys who thought Weist was the answer...care to re-think that?

In my mind, Warde should ask Pasqualoni for his resignation. Today. If they want some cover story that he fell ill last night, that's fine with me, and nobody should look too closely. Move Hank to Interim Head Coach. Move Foley back to the o line and since you really need a full deck, move George to tight ends. Again, you want to keep it quiet, fine with me. But do it. I'm not out to embarrass anyone, but this can't continue. After what happened with the hockey coach,(and for those who don't know he took over a team that was 0-4-1 and led them to the first winning record in a decade, Hank, and probably everyone else, know they aren't coming back short of a miracle, but maybe they work toward that miracle.

Reaction Score
If we fire PP, I want Jon Wholley to be the interim coach. Weist hasn't taken his lumps here and I want a guy with some fire.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
How are we possibly supposed to recruit for next year when it's clear this guy is gone regardless for next season?

Ding! Now maybe game 1 us too soon. But, he is DMW as Jacobs pointed out. After Michigan, the next bye week? It needs to be done and WM needs to be scouting.

The argument for now is the sheer lack of performance and scouting the interim guy with enough games, in case that's our best option. I'd hate for him to get fires with two games left, the new guy winning those two and getting the job.

Let's see whoever it is win one of these next two games to inject some hope. Because without beating MD, M, UL or UC there isn't much.

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I am fully aware that it is out of the norm and I am not about to get my hopes up by viewing it as a possibility.

I would however love to hear an argument on why it would be better for the program to allow P to finish the year as opposed to letting him start his retirement this afternoon.

Because we aren't ready to hire anyone so the transition still won't take place for months.

Because it sends the wrong signal about the program - that we are over emotional

Because it won't make the year any better.

However, if we are going to hire Petrino and can do the contract this week, I'd do it.

Reaction Score
Because it won't make the year any better.

That's not necessarily true. We are looking at a 2 win season, a different coach can make a difference.

I do agree that Warde and Susan won't do it even though they should.

junglehusky

Molotov Cocktail of Ugliness
Reaction Score
That's not necessarily true. We are looking at a 2 win season, a different coach can make a difference.

I do agree that Warde and Susan won't do it even though they should.
Weist, Hughes, Foley, Wholey, Whoever takes over for the season would be interim with no chance of getting the job full time. I just don't have confidence any of them can get us to 7 wins. The team was flat-out unprepared last night. The danger is that hiring someone who knows they're going to be gone is less concerned with preparing the team to win and more concerned with making their unit look OK so they can get their next assistant job.

Reaction Score
Weist, Hughes, Foley, Wholey, Whoever takes over for the season would be interim with no chance of getting the job full time. I just don't have confidence any of them can get us to 7 wins. The team was flat-out unprepared last night. The danger is that hiring someone who knows they're going to be gone is less concerned with preparing the team to win and more concerned with making their unit look OK so they can get their next assistant job.

At this point I'm seriously interested in anyone who's concerned with performing at an OK level.

babysheep

Rocky
Reaction Score
It's not one game. This was game 25 under P. This also isn't a straw breaking a camel's back. This is a piano being dropped on a crippled, old camel and killing it.

Reaction Score
I am a traditionalist who didn't think Notre Dame should have broken its 5 year run tradition when they fired Willingham, but i have no problem saying Pasqualoni needs to just go. If it wasn't clear before, it is now. I have followed UConn football for a number of years going back to my undergraduate days. That was the worst effort I can remember. Ever. Even going back to New Haven...at least that was close. This game wasn't even close. Three years into the program and the offensive line just gets worse and worse. D-line getting pushed around by a 1AA group. Disorganized. All you guys who thought Weist was the answer...care to re-think that?

In my mind, Warde should ask Pasqualoni for his resignation. Today. If they want some cover story that he fell ill last night, that's fine with me, and nobody should look too closely. Move Hank to Interim Head Coach. Move Foley back to the o line and since you really need a full deck, move George to tight ends. Again, you want to keep it quiet, fine with me. But do it. I'm not out to embarrass anyone, but this can't continue. After what happened with the hockey coach,(and for those who don't know he took over a team that was 0-4-1 and led them to the first winning record in a decade, Hank, and probably everyone else, know they aren't coming back short of a miracle, but maybe they work toward that miracle.
Hank Hughes msy be a nice guy..but as I put in a thread..it was painfully evident ladt night why in 2005 Edsall moved Orlando to DC. HH needs to go...not be given the keys to the bus.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TTown

Top Bottom