No Games on SNY | Page 5 | The Boneyard

No Games on SNY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know. What content will be playing on FS1, when the Big East games or on FS2?

I'm sure the best games will be on FS1 but we'll see in a few days how many FS2 will get.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Is this serious? FS1, to me looks good so far. I already like their sportscenter version better . And with the UFC over there, more and more people are going to find the channel in no time. It won't happen over night but FS1 is going to emerge as a serious threat to ESPN. I bet they make a big play for the NBA in a couple of years.

It was a bit of a joke but I disagree. They aren't different enough to warrant watching and the Big East is not enough to drive a lot of change. So until they get more I'm not seeing it being a great option.

Reaction Score
It was a bit of a joke but I disagree. They aren't different enough to warrant watching and the Big East is not enough to drive a lot of change. So until they get more I'm not seeing it being a great option.

I think a lot is going to depend on the Big Ten contract that is opening up and then the NBA contract. These are coming up in fairly short order. Unlike NBC, Fox will spend the money to keep ESPN from "warehousing" content. Two other things, number one the production of their programming is up to par. CBSSports and its predecessor CSTV made you feel like you were watching a lesser product to ESPN, even when they had a decent game on. Number 2, don't underestimate the draw that is the UFC/MMA. Fox did a smart thing bringing them on board. I've already committed the two channels to memory. Previously I couldn't find Fuel and Speed without the channel guide.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Is this serious? FS1, to me looks good so far. I already like their sportscenter version better . And with the UFC over there, more and more people are going to find the channel in no time. It won't happen over night but FS1 is going to emerge as a serious threat to ESPN. I bet they make a big play for the NBA in a couple of years.

You'd be surprised at how many people are disenfranchised with SportsCenter. I have a buddy who does not like football and basically watches the MLB Network from September through February and gets UConn Basketball news from SNY.com or similar outlets. ESPN does not cater to sports that they do not have a contract to air the major league. They barely cover hockey anymore. I used to listen to ESPN radio religiously when it first came on the air. Now I barely care what Mike and Mike say.

Reaction Score
You'd be surprised at how many people are disenfranchised with SportsCenter. I have a buddy who does not like football and basically watches the MLB Network from September through February and gets UConn Basketball news from SNY.com or similar outlets. ESPN does not cater to sports that they do not have a contract to air the major league. They barely cover hockey anymore. I used to listen to ESPN radio religiously when it first came on the air. Now I barely care what Mike and Mike say.

I'm pretty disgusted with them. I know the Big East turned down a Big Contract from ESPN, but then ESPN rewarded one of the driving forces in turning down that contract in Pitt by facilitating their move to the ACC. The dismantling of the Big East was pretty much financed by ESPN and as a result UConn has suffered. I'm petty like that, other than live sporting games they have on that I may want to watch if there is a similar alternative elswhere I will give it a shot.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think a lot is going to depend on the Big Ten contract that is opening up and then the NBA contract. These are coming up in fairly short order. Unlike NBC, Fox will spend the money to keep ESPN from "warehousing" content. Two other things, number one the production of their programming is up to par. CBSSports and its predecessor CSTV made you feel like you were watching a lesser product to ESPN, even when they had a decent game on. Number 2, don't underestimate the draw that is the UFC/MMA. Fox did a smart thing bringing them on board. I've already committed the two channels to memory. Previously I couldn't find Fuel and Speed without the channel guide.

I hate UFC so I might be, but does the UFC fan overlap with people interested in small private school basketball? Maybe.

Reaction Score
I hate UFC so I might be, but does the UFC fan overlap with people interested in small private school basketball? Maybe.

Small private school basketball or big time traditional school college basketball? I don't know either all I"m saying that unlike NBCsports or CSTV or other start ups I think Fox Sports is going to get a lot of people knowing where exactly they are on the dial thanks in large part to their association with the UFC.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Small private school basketball or big time traditional school college basketball? I don't know either all I"m saying that unlike NBCsports or CSTV or other start ups I think Fox Sports is going to get a lot of people knowing where exactly they are on the dial thanks in large part to their association with the UFC.

More fit small private school than Big Time Tradition school.

First week ratings lower than what Speed has. We shall see.

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
FSL is everything people bitch about on SportsCenter times ten.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
FSL is everything people bitch about on SportsCenter times ten.

Agreed. And it doesn't solve what is killing SportsCenter anyway. Twitter.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The Navy point is a perfect example of leverage. The AAC needed Navy, Navy didn't need the AAC. Uconn was already stuck and had been passed over at least 3 times by the ACC alone. Wards could walked into a meeting with Aresco, ESPN, and anyone you want to throw in for fun.....and his leverage would been.....we retain our rights or we will...????

Aresco entered negotiations as most of his marquee programs were either jumping ship or begging for the opportunity to do so. What magic rabbit was he supposed to pull out of his rear to make the largest sports cable network bend to his will? The only hope he had was NBC offering a big number....of course they had no reason to do so....but let's ignore that fact. What leverage did he have sitting in a board room in Bristol?

Our reality sucks, but the dance isn't over. I wish it would have turned out better, but for the life of me I don't see how it could have. Uconn had no leverage. Aresco had even less.
Here's the thing. This deal was the whole reason we hired a high priced TV exec. What you just told me is took whatever was given to him. Okay fine, but then we really don't need him or his salary do we. In Aresco, we're promised a rockstar and got stuck with a roadie.

Reaction Score
Here's the thing. This deal was the whole reason we hired a high priced TV exec. What you just told me is took whatever was given to him. Okay fine, but then we really don't need him or his salary do we. In Aresco, we're promised a rockstar and got stuck with a roadie.

No, what I am telling you is he took the best he could under the circumstances. He was at a high stakes poke table holding crap cards and few chips. Salary, resume, etc. isn't going to make a network in the power position over pay when they have no competition. You weren't expecting a Commissioner, you were looking for a magician or miracle worker. With those expectations, I understand your feelings. Unfortunately, this is the USA....not Narnia or King's Landing or Middle Earth. Magic doesn't just happen here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom