Not open for further replies.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
bilde

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She certainly has the bodies to do it with and make it just look like their inept!

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Was anyone else as annoyed as I was by Muffet's apparent decision to concede the game with a full minute left, and only 10 points down? Granted, it isn't very likely that her team would be able to overcome that deficit in that length of time, but why wouldn't they try? Are they saving energy for the next game?

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
She's played UCONN and Geno enough to know they weren't going to fold in that spot. Once it went past 2 possessions she knew it was a fools errand. I'm glad she didn't drag it out as so many other coaches would have done. Other team's may blow that lead but not us.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
It was eerily similar to last year's men's champ. game, when Calipari didn't foul us down the stretch in the last two minutes. His excuse was that we hit all our free throws anyway, so it would have been pointless. Maybe so, but in his case and also in Muffet's, you'll never know what might have happened if you don't even try. At least Muffet's team was behind by a few more points than Calipari's was, but you've got nothing to lose by trying, and you will certainly lose the game if you don't.

Reaction Score
I actually give her a lot of credit for not doing the usual foul to get the ball back. She knew that there simply wasn't enough time -- her team had scored 50 or so points in the first 39 minutes of the game; what were the odds of them suddenly scoring a dozen and holding us scoreless over the next minute? I thought it showed consummate class on her part not to do that.

Reaction Score
Because a 10 point loss looks better than a 16 point loss to recruits, and the media. If they had fouled huskies would have scored 6 pts. more from the line.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
UConn defense was suffocating making the chances of a turnaround less than remote, and I give her credit for braving the critics on that one and basically saying to the players of both teams, "You played a great hard-fought game. No need to make it the usual dumb and ugly at the end for no real reason just so some UConn fans can be happy that their team got pushed up to 70 points at the buzzer."

Reaction Score
If ND thought that UCONN defense was difficult tonight, wait to they see the 2015/2016 team.........ND might not get to 40 in the game this coming Dec in Hartford or Storrs............

Reaction Score
If ND thought that UCONN defense was difficult tonight, wait to they see the 2015/2016 team....ND might not get to 40 in the game this coming Dec in Hartford or Storrs..

Notre Dame has some very good guards coming in, they will have much better depth, and scoring coming off the bench. They probably will not lose anyone that played in their top 8- Cable might be back

cabbie191

Jonathan Husky on a date with Holi
Reaction Score
During the game, I was surprised at her decision to not foul but I think it was the right call for the same reasons expressed by others. I think it showed sensitivity to her team - once she concluded the game was lost, get her kids off the court as quickly as possible so they can begin the grieving process, etc, etc.

Related to this, I appreciated the honesty of the ND players who were intervied by the South Bend television station when they spoke to how angry they are about always losing to UConn in the finals. In particular, Lloyd's comment about UConn being like a pesky mosquto that never goes away.

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score
During the game, I was surprised at her decision to not foul but I think it was the right call for the same reasons expressed by others. I think it showed sensitivity to her team - once she concluded the game was lost, get her kids off the court as quickly as possible so they can begin the grieving process, etc, etc.

Related to this, I appreciated the honesty of the ND players who were intervied by the South Bend television station when they spoke to how angry they are about always losing to UConn in the finals. In particular, Lloyd's comment about UConn being like a pesky mosquto that never goes away.

This was my thought as an ND fan. Why prolong the agony?

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Spoke to my friends in Las Vegas. Supposedly there was a giant wager that came in on Notre Dame at +16 points. It came from a small college town in Indiana. Muffet was under orders to make sure ND covered the spread. Had she fouled at the end of the game UConn keeps shooting free throws and ND might lose by more than 16 points and if that was the case Touchdown Jesus would not be happy. So Muffet said no fouls and made sure the winnings would be collected.
Now everyone put your arms around the person next to you shoulders, sway left and right, and sing the ND Alma Mater(and point to the sky)
Hail to Notre Dame!!

Reaction Score
Was anyone else as annoyed as I was by Muffet's apparent decision to concede the game with a full minute left, and only 10 points down? Granted, it isn't very likely that her team would be able to overcome that deficit in that length of time, but why wouldn't they try? Are they saving energy for the next game?

If my memory is correct the same thing happened last year in the men's championship game when UCONN won. The rationale was the we were such a good foul shooting team that it was senseless to foul. Muffet may have had the same rationale.

Reaction Score
Because a 10 point loss looks better than a 16 point loss to recruits, and the media. If they had fouled huskies would have scored 6 pts. more from the line.
interesting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
belle