No additional commits following end of camp? | The Boneyard

No additional commits following end of camp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
Camp wrapped up on the 25th, other than the early commits we have not heard anything else on the recruiting front. That is a little concerning, even in the Edsall days we'd pull a few during camp.

Reaction Score
"we" have. A current post by another member said were basically in the same place commit wise we were a year ago.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
5 commits last year by this time. In 2014 we had 10.

Reaction Score
Camp wrapped up on the 25th, other than the early commits we have not heard anything else on the recruiting front.

5 commits last year by this time. In 2014 we had 10.

In 2014 the new staff was recruiting over kids (IMO) easy to drive big number with that and a new staff.

Since the 6/26 post was referenced above:
We are exactly at the same point we were a year ago this time - 4 commits (Donovan Williams, Keyion Dixon, Eddie Hahn and Quayvon Skanes). We got commit #5 on 6/28 w/ Tahj Herring.

We had two commits during the recent camp season ... Olaniyan on June 14th and Dickens on June 15th.

The dominoes are falling and spots are being filled in other programs (read P5) - the trickle down will start after the dead period. We don't have the same climatic geography benefit some schools have (South/Southwest) and the talent in state this year is bringing in marquee programs to compete with.

I'm not losing sleep yet...

C

Chief00

It does seem we need an In State recruit with just the right profile - talented but not too talented - or at least not talented exposed or fully developed yet.
Also, some kids want to stay close to home and others don't. Others like a big name school and others want immediate playing time. We need to find that right niche.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
It is also a "silent"period for the coaches until 7/10.

Reaction Score
It does seem we need an In State recruit with just the right profile - talented but not too talented - or at least not talented exposed or fully developed yet.
Also, some kids want to stay close to home and others don't. Others like a big name school and others want immediate playing time. We need to find that right niche.

I believe in BD, but am slightly disappointed in recruiting success....especially after an improvement in performance last year.

Perception, perception, perception.......even with in State potential recruits. The only thing that will help is more excitement on the field and winning. It would be disappointing not to beat at least one of the P-5 teams, but more so if the team struggles to score more than 10-14 points offensively against any of the opponents.....P-5 or otherwise.

If any of those two juggernauts improve, so will our recruiting......both in numbers, quality, and when the commitments are made. Then maybe more would want to stay home, despite the lure of big name schools.

APA

Reaction Score
We're going after a lot of higher caliber guys than we did under Edsall. I'm not too worried
What do you base this on? Doesn't seem that way to me.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
What do you base this on? Doesn't seem that way to me.

Yes, seems like we might be aiming a bit higher.

Here is another thought on recruiting; playing time. In Diaco's first few recruiting seasons he could offer near immediate playing time. Now that our roster has been replenished in many areas, there are fewer positions to dangle this carrot on.

Our recruiting may larger be defined by how the team plays in September. Might have to wait until then.

Reaction Score
I think the name you're looking for is RKG.:cool:

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
I am critical of HCBD more than most but you cannot argue he has gotten the best players in CT.
Pretty much the Gatorade players and stars of CIAC tourney powers.
That and he recruits big kids. Or so is his m.o.
Am I wrong?

Reaction Score
I am critical of HCBD more than most but you cannot argue he has gotten the best players in CT.
Pretty much the Gatorade players and stars of CIAC tourney powers.
That and he recruits big kids. Or so is his m.o.
Am I wrong?

He's gotten some but not all. Arguably the two best players in the state for 2017 just committed to Michigan, but we can't really expect him to be winning recruiting battles against blue bloods either.

Reaction Score
He's gotten some but not all. Arguably the two best players in the state for 2017 just committed to Michigan, but we can't really expect him to be winning recruiting battles against blue bloods either.
I would say he has nabbed the best in the state without the offers that Black, Holmes, the kid from newtown and Steuber had. I love Uconn but what kid in their right mind would choose Uconn over Michigan? I'd say it would mean a lot to them to say they played football at Michigan, not to mention it is a great academic institution. Hard to blame them. Even though we would love to keep them in state. The chance to play for a national power is a no brainer.

Reaction Score
I would say he has nabbed the best in the state without the offers that Black, Holmes, the kid from newtown and Steuber had. I love Uconn but what kid in their right mind would choose Uconn over Michigan? I'd say it would mean a lot to them to say they played football at Michigan, not to mention it is a great academic institution. Hard to blame them. Even though we would love to keep them in state. The chance to play for a national power is a no brainer.

I sure hope our coaching staff doesn't have your attitude.

Reaction Score

I agree, I was just replying to his question asking whether or not Diaco gets the best in-state recruits. He has gotten some very good ones, but not all is what I'm trying to say.

A name to watch is Chris Longo from Ridgefield. I don't think he's been recruited much and I think he's gonna be a player. He had 10 receiving TDs in the FCIAC last year and tore up the CCSU camp

Reaction Score
I sure hope our coaching staff doesn't have your attitude.
I think you should be more worried about the best prospects in the state and not me. Clearly the staff aims quite high based on offers given and scouting reports. That you don't have to worry about. By the way, I am happy with the quality of targeted recruits. I am realistic in the type of recruit we can all expect to commit to Uconn. I have been an ultra positive fan of this program, so please don't think my attitude is anything less than hopeful for this up and coming program. You're just looking at recruiting with blinders on. The schools the top CT talent committed to are far above the Uconn Talent level. Let's be real. And if you're unwilling to accept that then I cant help you. Diaco and staff have targeted the most talented in state for this class. He tried and thats that. Our coaching staff clearly doesn't "have my attitude" since they offered elite recruits with the intention of signing them. Maybe you should rethink your comments.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
We're going after a lot of higher caliber guys than we did under Edsall. I'm not too worried
What's your definitin of high caliber before I bring up the last coach whose recruiting was an uptick compared to RE??

Reaction Score
I think you should be more worried about the best prospects in the state and not me. Clearly the staff aims quite high based on offers given and scouting reports. That you don't have to worry about. By the way, I am happy with the quality of targeted recruits. I am realistic in the type of recruit we can all expect to commit to Uconn. I have been an ultra positive fan of this program, so please don't think my attitude is anything less than hopeful for this up and coming program. You're just looking at recruiting with blinders on. The schools the top CT talent committed to are far above the Uconn Talent level. Let's be real. And if you're unwilling to accept that then I cant help you. Diaco and staff have targeted the most talented in state for this class. He tried and thats that. Our coaching staff clearly doesn't "have my attitude" since they offered elite recruits with the intention of signing them. Maybe you should rethink your comments.

I am not worried about you at all and I certainly am not questioning your role as a positive fan. I am questioning your thought that no kid in his right mind would choose UCONN over Michigan to play football. A look at NFL rosters in recent years is all you need to know regarding why a young man might pick UCONN over Michigan.

Reaction Score
I am not worried about you at all and I certainly am not questioning your role as a positive fan. I am questioning your thought that no kid in his right mind would choose UCONN over Michigan to play football. A look at NFL rosters in recent years is all you need to know regarding why a young man might pick UCONN over Michigan.
Not only that, but kids who are true leaders may take the more difficult route in helping to raise a program to new heights. The easy road is to take the offer from the best current program, but it takes a special player to take the offer from State U., with the expectation that he can help bring it up to the level of the current elites. In basketball, that was Corny Thompson, Michael McKay and Jim Abromaitis. They could have gone to many more established programs, but chose to help lead the rise of the UConn program to it's new found heights! Today...a blue blood program thanks to their leadership, determination and personal sacrifice!

Reaction Score
When was the last time Uconn had a chance at a National Championship in football? Exposure and competing against the best teams in the country week in and week out. That's all I'm saying. We all as fans of Uconn think surely no kid could turn down a chance to play at Uconn compared to any other school. But let's be honest and be real. If you were in their shoes, where would you want to play, compete, go to school, and win?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not only that, but kids who are true leaders may take the more difficult route in helping to raise a program to new heights. The easy road is to take the offer from the best current program, but it takes a special player to take the offer from State U., with the expectation that he can help bring it up to the level of the current elites. In basketball, that was Corny Thompson, Michael McKay and Jim Abromaitis. They could have gone to many more established programs, but chose to help lead the rise of the UConn program to it's new found heights! Today...a blue blood program thanks to their leadership, determination and personal sacrifice!
You say this, yet we see it every year. The states best jump ship and join some of the Nations top football programs with longggggg proven track records. Typically when the "true leaders" as you call them stay home and take a chance to take the program to new heights, they were very lightly recruited athletes. They are not the kids that have a roll call of offers that they have turned down to play at Uconn. Do I want the likes of Holmes, Black, Mason and others to say home? Absolutely, but it just wasn't in the cards. I don't blame them for taking "better" offers. I also think Diaco and staff have a great thing going and the kids they have brought in are BIG and athletic and ready to take this program to the next level. At least that's what we all hope and cheer for.

Reaction Score
How many players took the big offer to barely ever see the field?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom