NLRB rules against NCAA | The Boneyard

NLRB rules against NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dartmouth is 1-5 in the Ivy League and 5-14 overall. If they're employees, fire the lot of them right now. Kind of pathetic that one of the worst teams in D1 will be the catalyst that ruins everything for everyone.
Disagree, this ruling will likely make college sports look more similar to what they were 10-15 years ago. Unionizing and collective bargaining will eliminate a lot of the issues with transfers and NIL

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
Something has to be done to regulate the cash flow at this point. Each school will need to develop departments that do the same things as sports teams. Each school needs to have a cap on funds available through NIL. I think college sports has already changed what it is. I think it’s for the better as it will reign in the habitual cheaters in the old system. But it is time for a different type of regulatory arm than the ncaa or the ncaa needs to change how the regulate college athletics.

Reaction Score
Grampa Simpson Meme GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
I think worst case scenario there will be some players unions pop up (similar to NBA but on a smaller scale) and we won’t notice any difference

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what all the consequences are but one thing I’d certainly expect is some college athletes on programs like say, the Dartmouth basketball team, will find out just how little value they have to the institution.

Reaction Score
I used to think colleges' jobs were to educate. How wrong I was!
Now, colleges' jobs are to entertain.
After all, what's more important, entertainment or education?
I'd argue their job isn't to entertain, it's to make money any way possible. Entertainment is just another route above and beyond collecting tuition

Reaction Score
I am not a labor attorney, but what would be the impediment for the NBA's player union to expand its scope to cover HS players? These players would be, at the present time, future union members anyways. If this, or something like this were to happen, then NCAA b-ball as we know it is dead. There would be maybe ten teams that can lure the top players with the most money. Remember, an NBA type union would not allow a member to take less money given the chance, because doing so would weaken the collective. People talk about the Darmouth union? I worry about a collective union that would represent most, if not all, of the HS stars. This makes me sad because I really enjoy UConn b-ball.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In a 2021 memo, the NLRB's top lawyer said college athletes should be considered employees.

"The freedom to engage in far-reaching and lucrative business enterprises makes players at academic institutions much more similar to professional athletes who are employed by a team to play a sport," NLRB General Counsel Jennifer Abruzzo wrote.

Uh, what? Did she basically say that NIL opportunities which are outside employment make the scholarship relationship between the student and the school and employment relationship?

Reaction Score
I’m not sure what all the consequences are but one thing I’d certainly expect is some college athletes on programs like say, the Dartmouth basketball team, will find out just how little value they have to the institution.
It will be the end of non-revenue sports. The same people pushing for this will be crying if/when that happens.

Reaction Score
They're heroes in their own mind, the hubris is stunning.
You guys are cheering nil and the unlimited portal, which I would argue had a much larger negative impact on college sports. The unregulated portal in particular. But suddenly the next logical step, making players employees, which would actually establish some less arbitrary standards, is a bad thing because it was brought about by players on a “bad” team? NIL opened the barn door. The portal opened the floodgates. Now comes the flood.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It will be the end of non-revenue sports. The same people pushing for this will be crying if/when that happens.

Non-revenue sports will be exposed for the money sucking leeches they are and return to local/regional competitions between college students who will get "real jobs" after they're done with college.
Part of the problem with college athletics was trying to put everything from coaches, facilities and everything else for all sports all on equal footing.
Most college sports should be local and only travel should be for conference championship and national championships.

Reaction Score
You guys are cheering nil and the unlimited portal, which I would argue had a much larger negative impact on college sports. The unregulated portal in particular. But suddenly the next logical step, making players employees, which would actually establish some less arbitrary standards, is a bad thing because it was brought about by players on a “bad” team? NIL opened the barn door. The portal opened the floodgates. Now comes the flood.
I've never cheered those things but keep doing what you do.

Reaction Score
Non-revenue sports will be exposed for the money sucking leeches they are and return to local/regional competitions between college students who will get "real jobs" after they're done with college.
Part of the problem with college athletics was trying to put everything from coaches, facilities and everything else for all sports all on equal footing.
Most college sports should be local and only travel should be for conference championship and national championships.
If you're fine with only football and basketball being played at the scholarhip level then good on you. There's going to be a lot of people freaking out when all the other scholarship sports are cut and thousands of kids who would be getting free college are no longer getting it.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I used to think colleges' jobs were to educate. How wrong I was!
Now, colleges' jobs are to entertain.
After all, what's more important, entertainment or education?
Yeah, this was the thing with the grad students unions in CA. The thing is, there was abuse, but this is over reaction that doesn’t solve the problem. Also UAW leadership has student’s welfare foremost in mind when organizing?

Reaction Score
If you're fine with only football and basketball being played at the scholarhip level then good on you. There's going to be a lot of people freaking out when all the other scholarship sports are cut and thousands of kids who would be getting free college are no longer getting it.
Vast majority of non revenue scholarships are already institutionally backed. Why would that change? For a lot of schools, non revenue sports are enrollment drivers, they are not suddenly going to stop supporting them.

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
I'd argue their job isn't to entertain, it's to make money any way possible. Entertainment is just another route above and beyond collecting tuition
Hi Dean Reddy! Didn’t know you posted here. And yes, my dean and chancellor just about say this at every faculty & staff meeting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom