NLRB rules against NCAA | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NLRB rules against NCAA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
But at this point, players do receive some compensation over and above scholarships and room & board. They receive about $5k.

Yes, they do get "paid" above just the scholarships, etc. I had a friend that played soccer at a school in the Patriot League. They would give him around $300-500 per away game for meals.

Reaction Score
There is no benefit from the school to the athlete for club sports, so I'm not sure what you're saying. There is no relationship between a school and a club sports team other than the fact that the membership is voluntarily made up of a population of local college students.
Not always true....I skied on a club racing team for my school. The school paid for the lift tickets and paid a stipend to the students that drove to the mountain.

Reaction Score
I hear you but why do athletes get such preferential treatment over academics? What’s the business model? I can see revenue sports but the rest?
When was the last time you saw 20k people buy tickets to a physics bowl?

Reaction Score
when was the last time you saw 200 people buy tickets to a college swim meet?

Reaction Score
When's the last time a corporation gave a player $50m to conduct research?

Here's what's even more perverse: the school takes 60% of that $50m and uses 5% of the 60% to subsidize sports!?!?!?!?

Reaction Score

Here's what's even more perverse: the school takes 60% of that $50m and uses 5% of the 60% to subsidize sports!?!?!?!?
At least college sports bring a tremendous amount of enjoyment to people and opportunity to kids. Schools waste 10's of millions on stuff that doesn't provide any benefit to anyone other than those who are in on the grift.

Reaction Score
At least college sports bring a tremendous amount of enjoyment to people and opportunity to kids. Schools waste 10's of millions on stuff that doesn't provide any benefit to anyone other than those who are in on the grift.
I know we've had this discussion before, but the tuition increase in excess of inflation by colleges is insane.

Reaction Score
when was the last time you saw 200 people buy tickets to a college swim meet?
Depends which school....but I doubt most swimmers get full reimbursement like BB & FB. Most Baseball folks are on partial schollys, not full

Reaction Score

1707534264555.png

Reaction Score
I know we've had this discussion before, but the tuition increase in excess of inflation by colleges is insane.
You're looking at tuition, not spending. The important thing to look at is expenditure per student if you want to measure the rise in costs versus inflation. Tuition is a totally different measure that is determined by many different things other than cost.

Are colleges spending too much? Look at expenditures.

Reaction Score
Sticker price yes. But how many are paying that? Colleges are huge on price discrimination. The price paid by the average student can be significantly below advertised tuition.

Eg, Trinity sticker price is 64k, but average student pays <30.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Mmmm, are you sure about that? I would be astounded if research money is just added to the schools general funds and doesn't come with specific use limitations.

Unrelated questions:

Do grad students get paid for doing outside funded research? I would guess yes. Do they need to join a union to do so? If not, would their unionizing potentially impact the cost of research?

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
There will no way to reach consensus on this topic. College was created to educate. Now one can make the argument that other than a few professions college has lost some of the inherent value of get a degree get a good job/ career and live happily ever after. Now it seems 65% of the of the majors available will do very little in doing either for person getting their bachelors degree. My opinion if this expands the biggest risk is the G league. Why play in a league with no crowd pressure if basketball becomes a business and players can claim their major is basketball they can spend all their time working on their craft. Specialized coaches could be hired and in all I think the game improves. Pretty radical but where are we really going anyway.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Pure speculation on my part, but a few questions

I suppose unionization only occurs at individual schools, not nationwide. Which means larger schools will not share their money with the Dartmouths of this world.

Will players receiving NIL actually want to unionize? I think not

What happens to union members who transfer or quit or flunk out? Are they still part of the union?

What happens when they graduate? Unions usually protect and argue for long-term benefits. What's their job when there's turnover every year and members leave after 4 years?

Looks like a big nothing burger to me. No teeth, but kids think they accomplished something. Until they graduate, then they'll wonder what we're they thinking

And who's going to coach at a unionized program? Kids get to call the shots? Furgetaboutit

Reaction Score
If college players are paid professionals and are ulitmately considered employees, let’s get rid of the 5 years to play 4 rule. There are already football players playing 7 plus years as it is. Let the employers decide how long they keep an employee so long as they are taking classes. JR Smith playing college golf, let him play hoops, what’s the real difference. Implement this quick enough and maybe we get Cam for another couple years until he gets his masters. Perhaps DH can bring back James B to get him straight and maybe bring back Ray for some shooting off the bench.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
Ultimately, schools are going to pay their athletes at least a minimum wage for hours associated with time spent on the athletic activity (practice, games, travel, etc.).

Most schools will go along with this but a few will drop athletics, many will drop several sports, and some schools may even close because of this.

Reaction Score
Ultimately, schools are going to pay their athletes at least a minimum wage for hours associated with time spent on the athletic activity (practice, games, travel, etc.).
Why?

Reaction Score
Mmmm, are you sure about that? I would be astounded if research money is just added to the schools general funds and doesn't come with specific use limitations.

Unrelated questions:

Do grad students get paid for doing outside funded research? I would guess yes. Do they need to join a union to do so? If not, would their unionizing potentially impact the cost of research?
Funded Grad students -- by contract -- are not allowed to moonlight at all.

Yet they do. I know I waited tables while I also put in 80 hours a week as a grad student, and I served a table of my employers! They obviously didn't say a word. But it was in my contract.

Prepare to be astounded! Universities take a huge cut of research money for general use. Now, while universities take 60% of the grant and the rest is given to the grant winner(s), it's the university's job to fund all indirect costs (buildings, facilities, supplies, etc.) which means that the university then returns about 30% of the grant to the project. The rest goes into the general fund. Effectively, it's 30%.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom