Nine Year Old Starting on HS Team | The Boneyard

Nine Year Old Starting on HS Team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Class of 2021, I expect that Geno and Muffet along with Tara will be three of the last to offer her a scholarship. UNC probably already has.

Last edited:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
http://standingosports.com/main/2014/01/09/jaden-newman-varsity-basketball-star-shes-9-years-old/

Here's a girl that will probably burn out from Basketball by the time she's old enough to attend High School.
Really? THAT is what you got from that?

Kids play from a young age. She happens to be incredibly talented.

That video was stunning. Good for her. Every three pointer looked like a Hail Mary shot, but at her size, it has to look that way. But amazingly, that is her shot.

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
She shoots a free throw like many of us would attempt a three, and her threes like like out half point attempts (with the minor difference that hers go in). Looks like she has legitimate skills, not just an over-indulgent father who thinks his little girl can play, but varsity at age 9! This could go well, but might not. Here's hopin'.

(Edit, posted before I saw DD's comment, but we clearly came away with the same impression)

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
She shoots a free throw like many of us would attempt a three, and her threes like like out half point attempts (with the minor difference that hers go in). Looks like she has legitimate skills, not just an over-indulgent father who thinks his little girl can play, but varsity at age 9! This could go well, but might not. Here's hopin'.

(Edit, posted before I saw DD's comment, but we clearly came away with the same impression)
We were typing at the same time...lol.

To play like that against kids 5-7 years older and so much physically bigger and stronger, she has to has a great passion for the game. She has to spend a lot of time practicing as well.

Burn out? Maybe. Certainly not probably.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Really? THAT is what you got from that?

Kids play from a young age. She happens to be incredibly talented.

That video was stunning. Good for her. Every three pointer looked like a Hail Mary shot, but at her size, it has to look that way. But amazingly, that is her shot.
She is talented. However, lot's and lot's of kids that show up on the internet as young phenoms never make it.

And that is definitely a "push shot". :cool:

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
She is talented. However, lot's and lot's of kids that show up on the internet as young phenoms never make it.

You went there. I took the high road....lol.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Note: I went to see Carla Berube in the Massachusetts D2 title game when Carla was a senior. Oxford High
against Masconomet. Carla went for about 30 and Oxford won easily. The starting point guard for Masco
was one Brianne [Breezy] Stepherson. She was a 7th grader at the time. She held her own against everybody except
Carla. She was a highly touted recruit and gave an early verbal to UConn....she recanted at some point and wound up at BC.
At the time of her recantation we had verbals from her and Keirston Walters. After Breeezy said 'no', we wound up with one Sue Bird as a second guard in that great class.

I wonder if Sue would have gone with Stanford or Vandy if Breanne hadn't recanted.
Brianne had a solid but not spectactular stay at BC....missed one year with [what else?] a torn ACL.

I recall reading a Boston Globe article after she graduated that went int0 great depth about her high school career. I recall
the writer saying that there was a great deal of jealousy among her teammates when she started as a 7th grader.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score

Yes,it is. All arms and legs but definitely a push shot.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
If you think about it there are 2 primary skills that she has mastered.

-putting the ball in the hoop, which will only get easier as she grows and strengthens.

-dribbling, which she probably learned at a very young age and the ability and confidence to use that skill to control the game and when
required to go around and through people.

To me the second is the most impressive.

Reaction Score
The first thing Geno will have to work on is her passing. Didn't see her make one pass during the whole video. Then of course comes the dreaded defense. Next will be the sneakers, she definitely has smaller feet than MoJeff. And of course we will have to get an accurate measurement on her height for the Boneyarders. A cool nickname will be in order. Something flashy that doesn't point out how short she is. Next would be a tall hat to make her look taller when the need arises. And of course, whatever else the Boneyarders suggest should be considered. :cool:

HGN

Reaction Score
Ridiculous skills at such a young age and dimunitive size. She is going to be great..... My only question is how does a 4th Grader , which is elementary school , qualify to play on a senior high school team? aren't there rules that say you have to be attending the high school?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Ridiculous skills at such a young age and dimunitive size. She is going to be great..... My only question is how does a 4th Grader , which is elementary school , qualify to play on a senior high school team? aren't there rules that say you have to be attending the high school?
Looking into a little further, she plays for Downey Christian High School in Orlando. Usually players have to be in the same school or under the same Principal (that's how some players start in 7th grade - the Jr Hi or Middle School is together with the High School, there are a couple around here, MWass - mainly in the hill towns). Looks like this may be a smaller school with K-12 all together. At least it lists 5-12th for Girls Basketball.

The level of competition is probably not at a regular high school level. At least from the video it didn't look like it. ???

Reaction Score
She looks great and has unbelievable skills at such a young age. However, I didn't see her make a single pass or get a assist. Perhaps she might have but that wasn't in the clip.

Reaction Score
She looks great and has unbelievable skills at such a young age. However, I didn't see her make a single pass or get a assist. Perhaps she might have but that wasn't in the clip.

She's averaging 14.8 pts and 7.5 assists so for some reason they just didn't show her passing skills.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
"She wants to play for her country, for Connecticut and in the WNBA." says her Dad.

OK: she's verballed, hold a scholly! :)
God knows what year, my math isn't great.

Blueballer

Transhumanist Consultant
Reaction Score
How long can she play for a High School team? Is there a limit? Can she keep playing every year until she's a senior or will she have to play just AAU? Don't know if there is a maximum number of years they'll let you play High School ball.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
She's averaging 14 points for the girls varsity but has lit up the boys her age for 63 points in a game? Maybe the Downey Christian guys could use her on their team.

Her eligibility for HS ball is not affected because Downey is not part of the FHSA and is not governed by their four-year rules. She could even start going to an FHSA school down the road and have four years of eligibility. Her brother was in the same situation as a 5th grader on the varsity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom