NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB | Page 5 | The Boneyard

NIL + transfer portal impact on CBB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Player empowerment is a double-edged sword. It's been the same story in the NBA, though the cons are different than in the college game.

The NIL and transfer stuff are great for the players and it evens the playing field with the coaches who make money via endorsements and come and go on a whim--there is no loyalty in this environment--but it's going to continue to make college hoops a worse product. That's not ideal considering the sport has been declining for over a decade now and is generally unwatchable IMO.

I feel like the NIL + old transfer rules are probably the best middle ground for the sport, but if we're giving players something resembling a free market then the new transfer rules are fair. It's going to blow the first time we lose a star/key piece to Kentucky or Duke.

Reaction Score
Yeah. But Bazz took his lunch money!
Is it incorrect for me to think that Bazz's 30 second speech after the title game actually caused a huge change with how meals are provided for athletes? I don't remember all of the specifics of how the change occurred, but I do remember that it became a huge talking point when the media kept running with his "I go to bed starving" quotes and then like the following season, the NCAA changed the rule. He should get 99% of the credit for that

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Is it incorrect for me to think that Bazz's 30 second speech after the title game actually caused a huge change with how meals are provided for athletes? I don't remember all of the specifics of how the change occurred, but I do remember that it became a huge talking point when the media kept running with his "I go to bed starving" quotes and then like the following season, the NCAA changed the rule. He should get 99% of the credit for that
Most likely was the catalyst.

Reaction Score
Shabazz was the catalyst for the rule and deserves credit for the change

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.sb...15/5618236/new-ncaa-rules-meals-snacks-SNACKS

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how Calipari adjusts. His WWW system and all the other programs with systematic funneling of money will now have many more agents, boosters and programs to compete with.

Some of these agents might be pushing for multi year deals with contracts that guarantee players don’t get pushed out. Given this possibility and the value of the transfer portal the one and done programs will have to study the entire landscape of players in their decision making.

We couldn’t ask for a better staff to deal with these new changes. Although I might recommend @Hey Adrien! be added to the staff.

Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see how Calipari adjusts. His WWW system and all the other programs with systematic funneling of money will now have many more agents, boosters and programs to compete with.

Some of these agents might be pushing for multi year deals with contracts that guarantee players don’t get pushed out. Given this possibility and the value of the transfer portal the one and done programs will have to study the entire landscape of players in their decision making.

We couldn’t ask for a better staff to deal with these new changes. Although I might recommend @Hey Adrien! be added to the staff.
He'll be just fine, his star center is said to be making close to $5 million next season by returning to UK.

Reaction Score
On a player level I would be pissed if a transfer came in hiring my NIL potential or worse receiving an NIL deal before me. Also how does a good player benefit, especially a forward/center who gets no shine, but helps makes the engine go?

My fear is selfishness becoming rampant as players chase the money. What a challenge for coaches.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

I don’t understand the confusion. If there’s no rules, there’s no rules… you pay players for an “advertisement” whatever amount you see fit. Every big time program should be shaking their boosters down for NIL money now, it’s the way forward.

Reaction Score
I don’t understand the confusion. If there’s no rules, there’s no rules… you pay players for an “advertisement” whatever amount you see fit. Every big time program should be shaking their boosters down for NIL money now, it’s the way forward.
The Supreme Court decision in NCAA vs. Alston paved the way for the chaos. Gorsuch and Kavanaugh cleared the way for all these changes. Anti-trust laws were brought into college athletics. Anything the NCAA tries to do from a regulatory perspective will most likely fail in the highest court.

The Supreme Court just looks at all this as fair amateur student athlete compensation. Any regulation will be highly scrutinized.

So you are absolutely correct.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
People like him have been fine for years with all sorts of stuff going on, but now that now that it is all legal, and other schools are shaking things up, it's the end of the world.
Corey Maggette.

Reaction Score

Truly don't give a crap. Glad the kids are getting paid. College sports are already a farce. And it will be even more of a mockery with the big money teams poaching non stop. We just need Mr Tik Tok to step up and do some organizing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom