NIL payouts - ridiculous amounts | Page 2 | The Boneyard

NIL payouts - ridiculous amounts

Reaction Score
I think we're already seeing donor fatigue with schools like Villanova. But for some schools who have multiple billionaire donors like an Arkansas with Jerry Jones and Tyson Chicken guy, $5M/year to them is like $5 to us. They won't care
You're correct.
I still need to see a direct correlation between amount of money spent and number of wins and point differential. I don't think we'll see that amongst the best teams.
But you bring up a good point that i want to test out

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Are the NIL figures for individuals (or teams) released anywhere? I’m curious because I wonder what’s at stake for Alex Karaban, if he opts for the draft (and possible second round selection) vs. returning for another year for guaranteed NIL money.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Bouk was to immature. Karaban would be OK.
I don't know if Bouk's issue was immaturity exactly, but I agree that his circumstances and Karaban's are different.

Reaction Score
Sadly, I can't see how we can compete with the obscene amounts of money being thrown around by football powerhouses, and those with billionaire backing.
Steve Brule GIF by MOODMAN

Reaction Score
Go ahead spend a billion bucks for all I care, while we remain hungry. Could a team spending the most NIL money win it all sure but it would be a cheesy title.

Reaction Score
Hurley kind of operates like a successful NFL team you believe in your draft picks (recruits) and you develop them and you bring in the right FA vets.

Reaction Score
Playing for UConn is like a futures bet! Take the time and a belief in developing for the dividends it pays vs taking the immediate big money from KU or wherever!

Reaction Score
Go ahead spend a billion bucks for all I care, while we remain hungry. Could a team spending the most NIL money win it all sure but it would be a cheesy title.
I was a Dodgers fan my entire life, I moved to L.A. in '04 (not because of them, though) and was in heaven. Then, they started to buy their W's. More and more money was thrown at the biggest free agents and they were unabashedly trying to buy rings, they still are. It wasn't fun for me anymore. I defected. I fell in love with a scrappy team out of Tampa, with little payroll, who were able to hang with the yanks and sox by playing smart baseball.
I'm so glad that UConn has always been built on integrity and coaching. Even if I weren't an alum, from a family of alumni, and born and raised in CT., I think UConn would be the team I would have chosen anyway.

Reaction Score
It helps that we have the best staff in the country & are the best program in the country right now while all this is happening.

Trilly said a week or two ago that we’ve been moneyballing the entire transfer era.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Couldn't agree more. Also, you aren't buying these kids for 4 years for 1mill. It's for one year most times. There will be donor fatigue if these things don't produce results. Hard enough for a coach to be a recruiter let alone a fundraiser. Imagine Scott Drew trying to go back to the well every year for 5 years when Baylor fails to win a natty?
This right here. I’m gonna keep saying it.

The NIL valuations are going to completely collapse within a few years because these rich donors are going to start realizing there is no ROI on their million checks when Indiana is missing Tournaments and Auburns is losing to Ivy League schools in the first round.

Also, Dan Hurley is recruiting a different level of kid. Look at a guy like Castle. His parents have said he had huge NIL offers (bigger than UConn) to go play at schools like Auburn or Bama. He chose UConn because he cared more about winning and developing for his long term success than a 1 year bag.

Those players looking for $1 million deals aren’t team first players. They wouldn’t fit our system even if we could afford to pay them all.

Personally, I just laugh when I see these insane NIL numbers because it has not once stopped UConn from getting the guys they want.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
College basketball is actually benefitting from NIL. G League Ignite was a competitor and is now gone due to NIL.
If pay for play truly comes to the forefront and international players can benefit, expect the next 18-year old Luka Doncic to be playing for a major college basketball program for a year instead of for a EuroLeague team. That will lead to a rise in popularity for college hoops.

Reaction Score
College basketball has NEVER had parity. Why does it need a mechanism to promote it?
A mid major needs reasonable firepower to retain its own players

Reaction Score
They Ivy League could rule NCAA sports if they would dip into their Billions in endowment money. Harvard has $50+ Billion to use.

Reaction Score

Well that's where we are with college football.

Reaction Score
I wonder how universities will deal with NIL and outbound transfers.

I would assume if they're going to pay you seven figures, they're also going to expect kids to stay.

There will most likely be prorated contracts that state if you don't stay you'll have to give some of that mula back

Reaction Score
A mid major needs reasonable firepower to retain its own players
They'll just get the talented down transfers who get squeezed out or need a 2nd chance. The Teddy Buckets of the world.

Reaction Score
College basketball is actually benefitting from NIL. G League Ignite was a competitor and is now gone due to NIL.
If pay for play truly comes to the forefront and international players can benefit, expect the next 18-year old Luka Doncic to be playing for a major college basketball program for a year instead of for a EuroLeague team. That will lead to a rise in popularity for college hoops.
Iirc European prospects can't play in the NCAA because they play professionally or with professionals.

Reaction Score
This can't be overstated. It's evidence over fear and conjecture.
Feel like this kind of talk is just garbage though. What happens after 5-10 years of receiving a ton more yearly than we do? It’s all fun and games now, but c’mon. There is going to be a massive disparity regarding incoming money in our current situation/vs. those in better situations.

Reaction Score
The market will correct. High-level starters making 6-7 figures isn't sustainable - NIL funds will eventually dry up and those figures will lower. Good for the kids though.
This will not dry up. The money has always been there, it is just visible now. Billionaires dropping millions every year is very sustainable. Playing will get a greater portion of the funds now as it should be.

Reaction Score
Feel like this kind of talk is just garbage though. What happens after 5-10 years of receiving a ton more yearly than we do? It’s all fun and games now, but c’mon. There is going to be a massive disparity regarding incoming money in our current situation/vs. those in better situations.
I don't foresee the demise of UConn basketball in any form or fashion...and I won't call you out in 2030 when you buy your "a ring for every finger" UConn t-shirt, like the rest of us.

Reaction Score
From what I’ve heard we are very competitive in the NIL space.. maybe we are just better at spreading the money around / attracting a certain type of kid.. also the Osbor kids NIL deal.. wow

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom