Nika: We need to fix this. | The Boneyard

Nika: We need to fix this.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
As I mentioned in another thread NC State played Elon last nite and Rivers had 6 pts 1/5 shooting and Brooks had 7 pts 3/7 shooting. Tonites game proceed with caution but I think we should be ok. Between Nika and Geno they will get this team straighten out.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Not to poke the elephant in the room, but was she referring to specific players? I get the "fix this", but more specifics? Whose feelings might get hurt that she's referring to?

I agree that Nika will be a tremendous coach. Reminds me of Shea in that she's well spoken, passionate, fierce, and tough. But she also LOVES her team and teammates. Great combo to make a really good coach.

Reaction Score
Not to poke the elephant in the room, but was she referring to specific players? I get the "fix this", but more specifics? Whose feelings might get hurt that she's referring to?

I agree that Nika will be a tremendous coach. Reminds me of Shea in that she's well spoken, passionate, fierce, and tough. But she also LOVES her team and teammates. Great combo to make a really good coach.
Could be anybody, or everybody on the team including herself. Nika is very self aware and has openly spoken of her own failings many times (and I would guess she has freely expressed her take on things among her teammates that have been subpar with them as well). I think what she is saying is that team success has to trump the risk of protecting anyone's ego or perhaps as she said, better put, risking hurting anyones feelings. To reach all of their ultimate goal for the season, the NC, honesty about any(every)bodies shortcomings and then making the needed corrections is key in making that happen. Given the kinds of people Uconn recruits, I would guess they are all on board with her on this.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
This is why Geno has her as a starter, their are no filters on her. She is blunt and to the point. She doesn't have to call out the players publicly because they know who she is talking about. It's a roundabout way of letting the fans in, but not ratting out anyone. I can't understand why a certain person gave a :eek: "WOW" on her comments, I guess they have no respect for this woman because they think she shouldn't even be starting.

Reaction Score
Most athletes can be placed in one of two basic categories---
Nika types who can take the heat, take the rough criticism, and get tougher when they are told that the other team wants to kick your butt and shame you.
The other group is more sensitive and needs to be handled with care and soothed more often with positive feedback. If told the other team is going to come on extra strong -- these types can get nervous/scared? and can come out timid/tentative. Nika and the three new players seem hard core. Paige is special. Others can determine the rest of the team.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Nika types who can take the heat, take the rough criticism, and get tougher when they are told that the other team wants to kick your butt and shame you.
The other group is more sensitive and needs to be handled with care and soothed more often with positive feedback. If told the other team is going to come on extra strong -- these types can get nervous/scared? and can come out timid/tentative. Nika and the three new players seem hard core. Paige is special. Others can determine the rest of the team.
Nika changed after Geno benched her during a game in her Freshman year, he was very PO'd at her and she was crying on the bench. After that happened she became more aggressive and was challenged by him in practice. By the end of the season she was the starting point guard, was tenacious on defense and the voice of the team on the floor.

Reaction Score
I was thinking the same thing. The Freshmen aren't a concern from what I've observed.

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
This is why Geno has her as a starter, their are no filters on her. She is blunt and to the point. She doesn't have to call out the players publicly because they know who she is talking about. It's a roundabout way of letting the fans in, but not ratting out anyone. I can't understand why a certain person gave a :eek: "WOW" on her comments, I guess they have no respect for this woman because they think she shouldn't even be starting.
Subtle, but probably highly accurate. ;)

Reaction Score
Thanks for noting my 'wow,' MSGRET. Unfortunately, the wow is the closest we Boneyarders can get to simply disagreeing with some posts, given that I'm not 'angry.'

In no way does my 'wow' mean I think Nika shouldn't start. Unlike many here, I believe that's not my call, it's Geno's. But I don't believe she's starting because she's blunt.

Rather, Nika feels she is the team leader, but she needs to show it more on the court. She had five assists and four points while the Huskies were playing well early in the NC State game and one assist and zero points the last three periods, all the while letting NC guards fly by her touted defense.

Borrowing from and modifying a recent poster on another thread, I'm sure Nika's 'cabal' will be after me en masse for this post. However, I ask each of you who might castigate me for criticizing Nika to think about what I'm saying. Team leadership can come from various sources, but I believe quality performance on the court is the best leverage a player can have to take her teammates to task.

When Nika plays better, I'd have more inclination to listen. For the moment, I'd rather not have the Huskies publicly calling out teammates, named or otherwise... not a good look (except for her fans here) after two games.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Thanks for noting my 'wow,' MSGRET. Unfortunately, the wow is the closest we Boneyarders can get to simply disagreeing with some posts, given that I'm not 'angry.'

In no way does my 'wow' mean I think Nika shouldn't start. Unlike many here, I believe that's not my call, it's Geno's. But I don't believe she's starting because she's blunt.

Rather, Nika feels she is the team leader, but she needs to show it more on the court. She had five assists and four points while the Huskies were playing well early in the NC State game and one assist and zero points the last three periods, all the while letting NC guards fly by her touted defense.

Borrowing from and modifying a recent poster on another thread, I'm sure Nika's 'cabal' will be after me en masse for this post. However, I ask each of you who might castigate me for criticizing Nika to think about what I'm saying. Team leadership can come from various sources, but I believe quality performance on the court is the best leverage a player can have to take her teammates to task.

When Nika plays better, I'd have more inclination to listen. For the moment, I'd rather not have the Huskies publicly calling out teammates, named or otherwise... not a good look (except for her fans here) after two games.
You do know that when a PG throws the ball to an open player that the ONLY WAY for them to get credited with an assist is that the player that shoots it has to make it. Nika had at least 6 blown assists by Azzi and Aaliyah alone, if not more. As for NC State guards flying by, they did it to all of the players, not just Nika. But like you have for the last 2 seasons, the only one you call out consistently is Nika.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You do know that when a PG throws the ball to an open player that the ONLY WAY for them to get credited with an assist is that the player that shoots it has to make it. Nika had at least 6 blown assists by Azzi and Aaliyah alone, if not more. As for NC State guards flying by, they did it to all of the players, not just Nika. But like you have for the last 2 seasons, the only one you call out consistently is Nika.
MSGRET, I called out Nika here for speaking publicly about her teammates, not for whether or not she should have played better defense. I'm sure she'd agree about that.

This thread is dedicated to praising Nika for doing something I believe she shouldn't have done... hence, my criticism.

I'll be rooting as hard as anyone on the Boneyard tonight for Nika to have a great game and help the Huskies win vs. Maryland!

Reaction Score
How is this 'internal?' She's speaking to the press.:confused:
Do you disagree that our players made mistakes in this game that need corrected? Do you not think Geno feels that is true? Did you hear in his presser when her quote was only partially repeated to him in a question omiting the part about how they need to call each other out? His response was they want us to be the bad guys. He wants them to hold themselves and each other accountable which is exactly what Nika said. She named no names, THAT WAS KEPT INTERNAL. If you think we played our best game and simply lost to a better team then I’m with Nika, Geno and the rest of the team and must respectfully disagree. If not what’s the issue with her speaking truth?

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
MSGRET, I called out Nika here for speaking publicly about her teammates, not for whether or not she should have played better defense. I'm sure she'd agree about that.

This thread is dedicated to praising Nika for doing something I believe she shouldn't have done... hence, my criticism.

I'll be rooting as hard as anyone on the Boneyard tonight for Nika to have a great game and help the Huskies win vs. Maryland!
Yet if you go back and look at my original post to you, the part that you called out Nika on her defense is highlighted in red so that you can clearly read that you did.

Reaction Score
Do you disagree that our players made mistakes in this game that need corrected? Do you not think Geno feels that is true? Did you hear in his presser when her quote was only partially repeated to him in a question omiting the part about how they need to call each other out? His response was they want us to be the bad guys. He wants them to hold themselves and each other accountable which is exactly what Nika said. She named no names, THAT WAS KEPT INTERNAL. If you think we played our best game and simply lost to a better team then I’m with Nika, Geno and the rest of the team and must respectfully disagree. If not what’s the issue with her speaking truth?
Yet if you go back and look at my original post to you, the part that you called out Nika on her defense is highlighted in red so that you can clearly read that you did.
Just reiterating that I believe a player who didn't play well should be publicly criticizing teammates... she can lambaste them as much as she wants in the locker room, even in the 'privacy' of practice, but not to the press.

Almost game time: go, Huskies!

Reaction Score
There is a distinguished poster here on the BY who has never, ever given a thumbs up to a positive Nika post. You will see a thumbs up on posts about Nika not starting.

Reaction Score
Looks like the players heard Nika. They are coming to Minny in a few days so we will see if they keep that same energy. They should but who knows.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom