Nika - Nation's leader in Assists | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika - Nation's leader in Assists

Reaction Score
I am a huge Nika fan. It started the day she walked on campus. Many of her assists are a thing of beauty. But, let's face it, some of her assists are super easy, i.e. throw the ball to Azzi, assist! Throw the ball to Lou, assist! (I could get those assists :))

The easy ones probably offset the missed layups. If it evens out, then that is as good as you can expect.
EVERY point Guard has those easy assists during a game, but Nika makes the hard ones look easy too.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I know that when McConnell played assist were harder to get because of the rules and I believe the same is true about Burden. The rules for awarding assists back then were a lot different than they have been during the 2000s. Correct me Coco if I am wrong. If McConnell had played under the same rules of today, she would probably have many more than her record shows.
I'm not aware of any scoring changes that would have added to McConnell assist numbers. A major game changer for the 86-87 season when the 3 point line was adopted by the NCAA. This is the main reason I don't think you will ever see McConnell like career assist numbers-because the game is too reliant on the 3 point shot which is a lower percentage shot=lower assists numbers.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
One of the most complete and prolific scorers in current women's college basketball frustrated by Nika's defense.... that alone should earn Nika any and all Defensive Player of the Year accolades!
would be great if that quote is heard by wcbb at large ... the intimidation factor might assist nika's effectiveness :)

Reaction Score
At least 3 to 5 a game. Imagine…she could easily be averaging 15 assists a game.
If they had the NBA rule in college where you get an assist if your player misses the shot, is fouled, and makes a free throw she would be right there. If you add in missed chippies, then 20?

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
the photo in the OP is great! it appears (my supposition because she is airborne) that nika has just grabbed a rebound and already is focused on the developing situation down court. ... that's my interpretation anyway

Reaction Score
I love the way Nika plays but let’s not overlook the fact that Nika has the luxury of making one pass to a exceptional group of wings to Azzi, Lou, or Caroline and they score which gives Nika a easy assist.

Reaction Score
You can't compare Muhl's assist totals to Rice or anyone on UCLA since they don't really have a PG. Their offense consisted mostly of watching Osborne dribble around, sometimes in circles looking for her own shot. And you can't really compare them to either team since neither has any decent outside shooters other than Cooke for SC. Plus when neither team runs a transition game off defensive rebounds, assists are very difficult to come by when you have no shooters.

Reaction Score
I am a huge Nika fan. It started the day she walked on campus. Many of her assists are a thing of beauty. But, let's face it, some of her assists are super easy, i.e. throw the ball to Azzi, assist! Throw the ball to Lou, assist! (I could get those assists :))

The easy ones probably offset the missed layups. If it evens out, then that is as good as you can expect.
While it helps her assist numbers to have great scorers around her, Nika still deserves much credit. She makes some passes look easy but they truly are not. One cross-court-one-handed-across-her-body pass impressed the commentators during the Iowa game. Not to mention her ball handling has much improved and her ability to navigate through traffic and then immediately throw a pass right on the money should not be overlooked! One of her passes to Aaliyah was stellar as she evaded 3 or 4 NC St. defenders. She also had a great pass to Ayanna after beating her player off the dribble against Duke (resulting in a score off an OR but another blown assist for Nika).

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Admittedly, Nika is benefiting from having many ready, willing and able scorers on the floor with her. Carolyn, Azzi and Lou are all terrific "catch and shoot" shooters. Aaliyah has transformed into one as well. Aubrey has been able to finish around the hoop and in transition when on the receiving end of passes and has hit some outside shots as well.

But here are some things that Nika is doing to make it all work so well:

1.She is capable of putting pace on the passes when needed, like from around midcourt to the left corner, and is also capable of softer passes, like mini-lobs around the hoop. She knows how and when to do both. She doesn`t throw a lot of bounce passes into crowds, which usually result in held balls or worse. Good instincts.

2. She can rebound or get the ball quickly from a rebounder and push pace, creating open court opportunities. She always has her head up and is trying to figure out how to help get a teammate open with how she - Nika - moves. Her fast break passes have been great. I like the no-looks, but my favorite was that leaping bounce pass to Azzi, can`t remember the game though.

3. Her passes are typically delivered in the perfect spot for a shooter, chest high.

4. She feeds the post better than any guard in recent memory. Part of it is getting a good angle, often on the right side of the court. Our posts, especially Aaliyah, have gotten better at sealing opponents off down low. We have had a number of those that have looked very easy, especially against NC State. Good position, good angle and pinpoint passing.

5. The ball is moving very well, due in large part to her, and that is creating opportunities all over the court.

6. She has developed with Azzi a good move where she hands the ball off to her and screens for her at the same time, resulting in a quick uncontested shot from Azzi. Bam, three points. Most recently down the stretch against Iowa.

7. She is good at making eye contact with teammates, leading to successful backdoor cuts and hoops.

Reaction Score
Nika is not alone in UCONN wcbb history in having wonderful options to feed for 'easy baskets' but she is alone in having double digit assists in three consecutive games (and counting fingers crossed). She lives to feed her teammates and she is is excelling at doing so while her team is winning against top ten competition - so give the girl her due!

Reaction Score
Nika is well on her way to becoming my all time favorite PG at UCONN. I know we have had some absolutely sensational PG's come thru our program - especially Bird, but Nika has that toughness, edge, and attitude that very few Huskies have had before her (maybe Dee, Shea, not sure who else).

It's been great fun watching her the past 2+ years, and I'm excited to see where she leads us this season.
I a huge, yet skinny, fan of Nika. Sue Bird at Uconn was a tough as an PG could be. Rarely did she "mess up" if she did she'd immediately fix it with a steal, tie up, score. She scored from beyond half court or on driving off the boards from the sides (ala Rene). Nika is tough, please don't under estimate the toughness of Sue Bird. Teams that did often went home without a title or a victory.
Right now Nika is the best of the best of that I have no doubts, I'm proud of her and thrilled she chose to play for Uconn.

Reaction Score
Admittedly, Nika is benefiting from having many ready, willing and able scorers on the floor with her. Carolyn, Azzi and Lou are all terrific "catch and shoot" shooters. Aaliyah has transformed into one as well. Aubrey has been able to finish around the hoop and in transition when on the receiving end of passes and has hit some outside shots as well.

But here are some things that Nika is doing to make it all work so well:

1.She is capable of putting pace on the passes when needed, like from around midcourt to the left corner, and is also capable of softer passes, like mini-lobs around the hoop. She knows how and when to do both. She doesn`t throw a lot of bounce passes into crowds, which usually result in held balls or worse. Good instincts.

2. She can rebound or get the ball quickly from a rebounder and push pace, creating open court opportunities. She always has her head up and is trying to figure out how to help get a teammate open with how she - Nika - moves. Her fast break passes have been great. I like the no-looks, but my favorite was that leaping bounce pass to Azzi, can`t remember the game though.

3. Her passes are typically delivered in the perfect spot for a shooter, chest high.

4. She feeds the post better than any guard in recent memory. Part of it is getting a good angle, often on the right side of the court. Our posts, especially Aaliyah, have gotten better at sealing opponents off down low. We have had a number of those that have looked very easy, especially against NC State. Good position, good angle and pinpoint passing.

5. The ball is moving very well, due in large part to her, and that is creating opportunities all over the court.

6. She has developed with Azzi a good move where she hands the ball off to her and screens for her at the same time, resulting in a quick uncontested shot from Azzi. Bam, three points. Most recently down the stretch against Iowa.

7. She is good at making eye contact with teammates, leading to successful backdoor cuts and hoops.
What you listed is the "measure of a good to great PG".
I'm not a fan (generally) of the "no-look-pass". Nika is a look then look away, the shooter knows who gets the next pass.
Great guards do a lot of things and Nika does most of them. She puts the ball where a shooter can use it at the power and speed the shooter can handle it.
Nika pushing tempo is high on the ability of Uconn to run up quick scores and for many of the wins.
Nika has a match with Edwards they work perfectly as a TEAM.
I'm a fan of smaller guards tough enough to tangle with the Posts---BACK DOWN was never learned by Nika.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
There is no acclamation that Nika gets or awards she will win, that she doesn't deserve. Before Nika has finished her Uconn career she will be a player that comes along once in a decade. I believe Nika could score a lot more if she decided she wanted to score more. Geno has quoted Nika who said, "when a player scores alone, one player is happy, when a player assists a score, two players are happy. " Since I have been watching women's basketball, the only players ( in my opinion) that came close to Nika is Dangerfield and Kia Nurse. They were both exceptional in defense. They also scored ! But this post is for Nika and she will thrill us in many more games. GO HUSKIES!!!
Mo and Kelly

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I'm not aware of any scoring changes that would have added to McConnell assist numbers. A major game changer for the 86-87 season when the 3 point line was adopted by the NCAA. This is the main reason I don't think you will ever see McConnell like career assist numbers-because the game is too reliant on the 3 point shot which is a lower percentage shot=lower assists numbers.
I researched it. It used to be that an assist counted only if the person who received the pass scored without dribbling the ball.

Reaction Score
True, we have a lot of good options this season to shoot from long range.

I think the reason we see a lot more easy assists though is because since last season there has been an emphasis by the coaching staff for players to take an open shot irrespective of the shot clock, unless it is the last play of the quarter.

Better to take a high percentage shot early in the shot clock than hoping another is there later on in the same possession.

Reaction Score
At least 3 to 5 a game. Imagine…she could easily be averaging 15 assists a game.
That’s simply the nature of the game! I could also say, if only our offensive players didn’t miss any shots, we could shoot 100% as a team!
I am ecstatic with Nika’s performances this season but let’s remember that someone has to score in order for Nika to get that assist. The fact is, we have an extraordinarily good offensive team this season.
There are several factors contributing to Nika’s incredible assist stats. First, she has obviously worked extremely hard to get better over the past year, she is a naturally gifted passer, she is happy passing the ball for others to score, Paige, the player who would normally be playing for large amounts of her current minutes, is out, thus increasing Nika’s time on the floor, and finally, she happens to be the primary point guard of an extraordinarily gifted offensive machine that is currently manned (womaned) by; possibly the best pure shooter in the country in Azzi Fudd, a gifted scorer in Lou, a fifth year Graduate transfer who has spent her entire career being the go to scorer of her former team, a gifted forward in Aaliyah who is playing the best basketball of her career, and a sort of “Jack of all trades” in Aubrey, who is also imo playing better than ever and more to the point, seems to have put her former reluctance to score behind her. Finally, if that’s not enough, she is seeing the return of possibly the best (at minimum 2nd best) overall scorer on the team in Caroline, who hasn’t even been available up to now! Oh, and Dorka will be back soon as well!
Basically, every single player on this team, including Nika, is playing the best basketball of their career! Small wonder then, that we are seeing these kinds of assist numbers from Nika! She is in a zone at exactly the right time, with exactly the right team! Even so, the numbers she is putting up are rarely seen in this game and she deserves all and any accolades for her play! None of this diminishes her performance though. She is clearly the straw that stirs UConn’s drink and is going to be a real nightmare for opposing teams until she graduates.
Not to toot my own horn,:rolleyes: but I predicted on Nov. 20 that she would set the all time UConn season assist record this season and I am seeing no reason to think otherwise. It would not surprise me at all if we see some 20 assist games from her this year! I’ll bet Paige is really proud of her!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I remember watching her follow her man out of bounds as they were inbounding the ball. She didn't even know she was out of bounds until the ref pointed it out to her. All she knew was "stay in her face". One of the funniest UConn moments ever.
There is little more to the story than that and Moriah was technically not out of bounds. Kmac started the in bounds play at the top of the key so Moriah started guarding her at the top of the key before the ball was ready to be inbounded. The problem was ND did not have anyone to inbound the ball so Kmac step out of bounds to inbound the ball. Moriah though Kmac was making a basket cut and stood in front of her to guard her. You cannot step out of bounds to guard the player inbounding the ball. BTW Kmac did manage to score on that inbound play with a brilliant step back despite the good defense.
This is a classic UCONN game if you want to show a team how to over play ( face guard) & still layer a defense. Besides Moriah's face guarding on Kmac Bria and KML were face guarding Jewell and Mabrey #1. Stewie face guarding Madison Cable on the perimeter was even more stellar than Moriah's. Stefanie. and Kiah Stokes were brilliant in cleaning up for any missed overplays (brilliant =24 rebounds and 3 blocks between them) . This was also Stefanie & Bria's last game in a UCONN uniform.

Reaction Score
Nika’s numbers were achieved against tough competition. As we go through the big East season, there will be opportunities to improve on the averages.

diggerfoot

Humanity Hiker
Reaction Score
Nika’s numbers were achieved against tough competition. As we go through the big East season, there will be opportunities to improve on the averages.
I’m not so sure about that. Another factor contributing to assists is the amount of possessions per game. We have played some up tempo games to date. Against a team like DePaul, yes, there should be a high assist total. Some other BE teams? Not so much.

Reaction Score
You can't compare Muhl's assist totals to Rice or anyone on UCLA since they don't really have a PG. Their offense consisted mostly of watching Osborne dribble around, sometimes in circles looking for her own shot. And you can't really compare them to either team since neither has any decent outside shooters other than Cooke for SC. Plus when neither team runs a transition game off defensive rebounds, assists are very difficult to come by when you have no shooters.
but...but...but... they do score points in the course of a game, don't they? Some player is getting the ball through the hoop. What am I missing here? Must be moments an on time, on point pass would facilitate scoring - no? Or maybe they're all offensive rebound put backs or off the dribble and that's their plan? Help me.

Reaction Score
but...but...but... they do score points in the course of a game, don't they? Some player is getting the ball through the hoop. What am I missing here? Must be moments an on time, on point pass would facilitate scoring - no? Or maybe they're all offensive rebound put backs or off the dribble and that's their plan? Help me.
See the bolded part. For UConn yes. For those two teams, not as often in that game. The best passing teams have a higher ratio of assists to FG made. UCLA only had 7 assists on 26 made FGs which is indicative of their mish mash offense with one player(Osborne) dribbling around looking for her own shot in that game. By contrast, against Iowa, UConn had 30 assists on 46 made FGs because their better spaced and better run offense gets people open and players actually look for them and move the ball. Plus UConn has a transition game that opens the floor and makes assists easier to come by. UCLA had no transition because they couldn't control their defensive boards to get out. So they scored most of their points (41 of 64) on a few turnovers (11), a few offensive rebounds (13), 17 FTs, and Osborne's solo trips and 3s for the balance. Not much efficient passing and no discernible PG.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
See the bolded part. For UConn yes. For those two teams, not as often in that game. The best passing teams have a higher ratio of assists to FG made. UCLA only had 7 assists on 26 made FGs which is indicative of their mish mash offense with one player(Osborne) dribbling around looking for her own shot in that game. By contrast, against Iowa, UConn had 30 assists on 46 made FGs because their better spaced and better run offense gets people open and players actually look for them and move the ball. Plus UConn has a transition game that opens the floor and makes assists easier to come by. UCLA had no transition because they couldn't control their defensive boards to get out. So they scored most of their points (41 of 64) on a few turnovers (11), a few offensive rebounds (13), 17 FTs, and Osborne's solo trips and 3s for the balance. Not much efficient passing and no discernible PG.
I Did It Oops GIF by Rosanna Pansino

This is the part where I jump in and point out that that establishing the role of a discernible PG among this very talented group of UCLA players is the responsibility of the coach. Cori Close is still the UCLA coach. Charisma Osborne was a top PG prospect in the class of 2019 and is currently in her senior year of playing for Cori. Three years from now if Cori remains the coach we'll likely be saying the same thing about Kiki Rice and Londynn Jones.

Reaction Score
I Did It Oops GIF by Rosanna Pansino

This is the part where I jump in and point out that that establishing the role of a discernible PG among this very talented group of UCLA players is the responsibility of the coach. Cori Close is still the UCLA coach. Charisma Osborne was a top PG prospect in the class of 2019 and is currently in her senior year of playing for Cori. Three years from now if Cori remains the coach we'll likely be saying the same thing about Kiki Rice and Londynn Jones.
Yeah, we’ve both had the same opinion of Close as a coach all along. I figured if I left that hanging out there you’d come along and clean it up. ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom