Nika appreciation thread | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Nika appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I noticed that whenever Nika was on the floor everything flowed better for the team as well.

It was like everyone took a deep breath and when Nika was on the floor. Maybe they just know that Nika would get them the ball if they got to a place to use it.

Personally, I would have thought highly of any kid that only played point guard. Going to a university in a foreign country that had Paige as a fellow freshman. What was her mindset? What were her expectations?

Rest easy. The Nika haters are still around. I think that's who's throwing darts at Amari. Not sure because I have the hater on ignore.

I just don't understand people who need to belittle young kids.
Every year every game the team flowed better.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Nika=one of the most unique women to play for UConn. Doesn't have the speed or quickness as some guards such as KK, but won Defensive Player of the Year. Primary shot is a long set shot but has a high shooting average. Not overly tall but a fierce rebounder. I live near Parris Island, SC, the Marine Training Base, and she reminds me of the new recruits who often excel based on their tenacity as much as pure skills.
DPY twice

Reaction Score
I'm so happy to find this thread!!!:)

I've loved her since her freshman year- her toughness, grit, moxie whatever you want to call it just stood out to me from the start.

She was Nika the Gnat, the Croatian Sensation making life hell for the opposition with her suffocating defense without once committing a foul (;) ) & sometimes driving Geno nuts in the process. She was prone to turnovers and committing stupid fouls at the wrong time.

When Paige went down Nika had to step up her game and boy did she ever. Showing maturity & leadership, cutting down on turnovers & dumb fouls she had her best season last year. She continues to grow her game this season, becoming much more of an offensive threat while still playing incredible defense.

If she decides to come back for a fifth year I will be a very happy lady.

That's my girl! <3

Reaction Score
With these 7 today, I think she moved to 8th all time already for a career, and she still has a year of eligibility

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
5EA53E43-3E9E-4A3C-8DC5-65FD6E0F6236.jpeg

Reaction Score
I loved Nika from the minute her career at UConn started and she very easily became one of my all time favorites. Every game she shows up and plays old school gritty UConn basketball. Her hard wonk doesn’t always show up on the stat sheet, but I’m crossing my fingers she can get the all time assists record.

Reaction Score
Any thoughts on Hana taking a graduate student year with the Huskies? ;)

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
Last night Marquette started with and often had two forwards in the game and it looked like they usually put one of them on Nika and hoped for the best. She made them pay by hitting the open threes.

With Watson and Westbeld, it may be a similar situation against ND.

Even more noteworthy are the two foul line jumpers! It was the correct play both times. In prior years she would have passed it up and possibly tried to force a drive or a pass that was not there.

KK, Paige and Nika are benefitting assist-wise from Shade`s quick and accurate trigger from the corners.

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
So impressed with the way Nika has evolved her game since last year. This is something you don't see very often in an upperclassman. The pullup J and the consistent 3-ball and the aggressive drives to the hoop (not just to pass) all obviously a full step up from last year. What a great career she is having.

Reaction Score
She needs to be first team All American to make the Wall and people that vote on AA awards usually don’t recognize defense and assists as much as gaudy scoring numbers
True enough, but I've always felt that any Huskie who was awarded the National Defensive Player of the Year should also be included in those making the wall. Afterall it's one person not one of five or ten All Americans.

Reaction Score
True enough, but I've always felt that any Husky who was awarded the National Defensive Player of the Year should also be included in those making the wall. Afterall it's one person not one of five or ten All Americans.

But she hasn’t received that either

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01