Nika appreciation thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Nika appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember getting into heated exchanges with a number of Nika naysayers on the BY who seemed to relish criticizing her every mistake. After setting the single season assist record on her way to the all time career record, along with being named BE DPOY, the Nika naysayers have largely been silenced.
I was on another site as well as this one and there remained posters minimizing her play last year. Even so me on here after the season was over remained complainers of her play. Completely underrating what she does. Instead they look for "flash." Plus her shooting from 3 range has always been downplayed. Once she got her feet wet frosh year around the time (or just before) Geno started her, from that time on she shot over 37% from 3. But because she wasn't flashy this always got swept under the rug.

As does her style of play that the people that only like "flash" and "one-on-one" probably could never appreciate. For me, the play on Offense that best personifies Nika was vs Iowa 3rd qtr about 3:55 left UCONN losing by 3, Azzi missed all her 3's. Nika catches a pass, rushes up the floor toward Azzi, the Defense is back but Nika knows at just past halfcourt Azzi is behind her. Seh deliberately slows down but then takes a few more dribbles to become "a threat" to drive in for a layup. She just needed to show "she was a threat." Then at 3:53/3:52 she stop the dribble and turns the deliberately making herself "wide" setting a pick as she shuffles the pass to the oncoming Azzi. Now the Defense is completely screened giving Azzi a wide open 3. Which she drilled and subsequently hit more after. There was no "flash." That is Nika. The ones who don't appreciate her - that's what they mostly want to see is flash and one-on-one play.

The complainer would say things like "She could have dribbled to the basket and gotten a layup." Or "Azzi bailed her out because she was double teamed." Or "Anyone could make that shuffle pass." The complaining was/is all nonsense. The beauty of her game is that she goes in the gamne with a full heart/full intent to do whatever she can to do to get the ball to the super scorers rather than hunt shots for herself. She does need to shoot the ball however -- and how great was it to hear her say she has been working her butt off on shooting while her frosh/soph years she might have said something different?

Reaction Score
gotta admit, i was a bit skeptical. maybe she had been recruited as an adequate backup for her coveted, 'generational' co-freshman, paige. if we were lucky, perhaps nika could be a modern day molly bent.
I was skeptical too. I recall I believe vs St Johns - Meg saying what crossed through my mind was that Nika didn't seem quick enough (I mistakenly used the word "speed" vs "quick" and got crushed for it I think . . :)) to ever be much of an impact. Later on - shortly after - I flipped (as did Meg :)) - and became giddy of what I saw. :)

Reaction Score
For those who missed it or want to take a stroll down memory lane, here are two videos capturing Nika's offensive contributions last season.

All nika muhl assists 2022-23 season:

Nika Mühl Shooting & Finishing at the rim | UCONN Highlights 22/23
Great announcing: " NIKA MUHL... Blow by!" She can really work up a head of steam! (see the highlights 22/23 above)
Many thanks to NIKA... A great talent. GRIT is always spelt with four letters: N I K A !

Reaction Score
I was on another site as well as this one and there remained posters minimizing her play last year. Even so me on here after the season was over remained complainers of her play. Completely underrating what she does. Instead they look for "flash." Plus her shooting from 3 range has always been downplayed. Once she got her feet wet frosh year around the time (or just before) Geno started her, from that time on she shot over 37% from 3. But because she wasn't flashy this always got swept under the rug.

As does her style of play that the people that only like "flash" and "one-on-one" probably could never appreciate. For me, the play on Offense that best personifies Nika was vs Iowa 3rd qtr about 3:55 left UCONN losing by 3, Azzi missed all her 3's. Nika catches a pass, rushes up the floor toward Azzi, the Defense is back but Nika knows at just past halfcourt Azzi is behind her. Seh deliberately slows down but then takes a few more dribbles to become "a threat" to drive in for a layup. She just needed to show "she was a threat." Then at 3:53/3:52 she stop the dribble and turns the deliberately making herself "wide" setting a pick as she shuffles the pass to the oncoming Azzi. Now the Defense is completely screened giving Azzi a wide open 3. Which she drilled and subsequently hit more after. There was no "flash." That is Nika. The ones who don't appreciate her - that's what they mostly want to see is flash and one-on-one play.

The complainer would say things like "She could have dribbled to the basket and gotten a layup." Or "Azzi bailed her out because she was double teamed." Or "Anyone could make that shuffle pass." The complaining was/is all nonsense. The beauty of her game is that she goes in the gamne with a full heart/full intent to do whatever she can to do to get the ball to the super scorers rather than hunt shots for herself. She does need to shoot the ball however -- and how great was it to hear her say she has been working her butt off on shooting while her frosh/soph years she might have said something different?

Thank you to HOOPHUSKEE for this trip down Memory Lane and the link to one of my
favorite games. == The battle of Nika Muhl and Caitlin Clark !! Well done, Nika!!!
NOTE: Hit the "expand" button to watch the game and "the pass" from NIKA to AZZI!
Better yet... rewatch the whole game!

Reaction Score

WOW! What a game. Nika's defense was amazing. People who think Ashlyn Shades is a better shooter than Azzi have forgotten how amazing a shooter she is, even with the defense focused on her. Caroline also showed how good of a player on both ends of the floor she was. That second half was fun to watch again.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I'd watched some footage of Nika in the European leagues when she was a teenager. I was totally chuffed when UConn signed her. It was obvious she had grit and moxie and that she was just the kind of player UConn needs. I still love a tee shirt she was wearing when Geno visited: FEMALE ATHLETE

She will be my favorite UConn alumna when she leaves.

Aside: I was struck by a car awhile back, and they had to cut my tee shirt off in the ER. I didn't realize that it was my Nika tee, so a couple of months later when I found out, I let out a string of expletives. My daughter thankfully found one to replace it, which I will proudly wear tomorrow.

Reaction Score
At some point down the road I see Nika bringing that passion and all her intangibles to being an extremely great coach. Her passion and love of the game will not end when she decides her playing days are over. I just really hope when that time comes she is sitting on the UConn bench, ideally alongside Geno!

It bit off topic but ...In a thread posted on here some player were asked about how they saw Geno and Nika said as a friend which I found really telling of their relationship. Plenty of players who are years away from the program, I have absolutely no doubt, would characterize their relationship with him as friendship but I really don't know that any would have done so when they were actively playing here.

I remember being struck by something that happened in the postgame presser the first game back for Geno after his mother's death, the players spoke first and as Nika left she put her hand on Geno's shoulder as she passed by. A small gesture, but one of true empathy. I think she and Paige have had truly unique relationships as active players with Geno ( as exemplified by their visit to his office freshman year memorialized on youtube or the post game interview when Nika said 'we don't listen to him we listen to Paige' when Mama E was one of the interviewers, or when Paige and Nika both mussed his hair when he was talking to the press - which I don't think he was a fan of!). Perhaps it was an outcropping of the Covid season, when their world was very small. But for whatever reason that class, and I would guess that duo in particular, definitely impacted Geno ( as he has said, that they changed things for the whole staff ).

Even as he has changed the way he has dealt with players post covid and NIL, I think the relationships he has with Nika and Paige and posibily Aaaliyah as well ( all though she has never been as demonstrative) are rather unique. I think it has served them all well and they will always cherish it!

Reaction Score
They didn't swoop on Jana because CD doesn't swoop. She just waltzed in, rode a camel and signed her.;)
Swoop or not, it seems I recall that she was thought to be Jeff Walz’ player to lose and we “swooped/slid/stepped/waltzed in and suddenly she was a Husky! That’s how I remember it anyway.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
I have a question, during a basketball camp, pre any UConn connection Nika and Aaliyah were roommates, Nika signs to go to UConn then later Aaliyah was there any chance Nika messaged her?

Reaction Score
Strength rises up at the Gample
The way that she plays an example
Croatian explosion
Amazing what gumption
Nika gives all -- more than ample!

Reaction Score
I have a question, during a basketball camp, pre any UConn connection Nika and Aaliyah were roommates, Nika signs to go to UConn then later Aaliyah was there any chance Nika messaged her?
I posted an article somewhere that refered to that. She said that once she found out UConn was pursuing Aalyah she stepped up her communications with her - no doubt encouraging her to come.

It has also been posted before, but, Dorka recruited Nika for OSU and in turn Nika did so with Dorka when she looked to transfer.

I guess Nika wanted to make sure she had some great posts inside to feed. Has worked out great in both cases. Maybe Nika can reunite in Minnesota with Dorks and Aaliyah!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Oops. Here goes until well into her freshman year, then when inserted the team was at it's best until she got hurt in the tournament. In my opinion they do not lose to Arizona if she was healthy.
Nika started 15 games her freshman year. I don’t believe she was a fixture in the starting lineup until Feb 8, at home against SC, a game that will always be remembered for “the bounce!” After which Nika confidently pronounced, “We all knew it was going in.”

Reaction Score
Nika is in the perfect position this year to have an outstanding year. She has had issues with quick and fast guards in the past - kk is taking care of this. Nika has a solid outside set shot but rarely got open due to how other teams rotated. With all 4 other players, especially Shade, Paige, and KK, having a solid 3-point stroke, she is wide open more often. While Nika has rarely driven the middle in the past, with the 4 other players being solid shooters, the middle is opening up and Nika is displaying a surprisingly good midrange game. With her defense and rebounding, her strengths as they translate to the pro game are becoming more obvious.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
Nika started 15 games her freshman year. I don’t believe she was a fixture in the starting lineup until Feb 8, at home against SC, a game that will always be remembered for “the bounce!” After which Nika confidently pronounced, “We all knew it was going in.”
Exactly February is well into the season. Played in only 23 games

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I enjoyed watching Nika’s Euro videos. She played with zeal. On one fast break, she celebrated by raising her arms, as if to shout, “I’m going to Disneyland!”

But what sealed the deal for me was when the Horde questioned her about committing after Paige had verbaled. She said she wasn’t afraid of competing for playing time with the great Paige Buckets. Who does that?! Paige, to her credit, said that she could play multiple positions. Little did we know then that she would excel at power forward.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score

Majic Hands

https://www.neumi.com/jkvetter
Reaction Score
i reserved judgment early on. she was unknown to us, except for the fact that geno recruited her (so she must have had husky promise) as did some respected programs.

gotta admit, i was a bit skeptical. maybe she had been recruited as an adequate backup for her coveted, 'generational' co-freshman, paige. if we were lucky, perhaps nika could be a modern day molly bent.

but there previously had been a mystery recruit who didn't speak english and was totally new to america and she -- sveta --turned out to be pretty good, so let's give the croatian a chance. at the least, she would give the team exposure to another culture, as anna makurat did. and anna, an unknown, had also proved to be a welcome contributor on the court too. why not nika?

then, after a few months at uconn, it was clear -- at least to me (and to geno too) -- that the team played better when nika was on the floor. the stats weren't there: she was not a scorer and she didn't seem to be much as a defender. she was a solid ballhandler and could be a spectacular passer. in general, nika wasn't notable as a player. she clearly had shortcomings. but for whatever unknown reason, the team was better when nika was out there.

geno, perhaps, could explain this. maybe not. but he admitted he saw it. and yet there were some in the BY who didn't. that's OK. there were not any obvious reasons to believe this kid who didn't score or make a lot of steals or contribute statistically would make the team better.

but, oddly, some responded by tearing nika down rather than simply accepting this good fortune: the team did better, why look a gift horse in the mouth. i don't get it. i wish someone could explain it to me.

at least, since nika has been putting up some impressive stats (which, to some, justify her value, i guess) the nika critics have been largely silenced.
I noticed that whenever Nika was on the floor everything flowed better for the team as well.

It was like everyone took a deep breath and when Nika was on the floor. Maybe they just know that Nika would get them the ball if they got to a place to use it.

Personally, I would have thought highly of any kid that only played point guard. Going to a university in a foreign country that had Paige as a fellow freshman. What was her mindset? What were her expectations?

Rest easy. The Nika haters are still around. I think that's who's throwing darts at Amari. Not sure because I have the hater on ignore.

I just don't understand people who need to belittle young kids.

Reaction Score
Hi Nan. I know you have posted this before but do you have handy the All-Time assists list? I'm sure she will break it when she returns next year!
Just type UConn women’s career assists leaders on your search engine and it will come right up. There are benefits to independent research, but I’m a retired college prof with little patience for anything else.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You just may not have waited long enough...they put so many full-page color pictures into the guide that it's 264 megabytes, as opposed to the 2019-20 guide, which is 37 megabytes. That much data takes a while to download, even with a fast cable.
I used to be able to view the media guide; now I can’t

E99F3402-3AFA-48E5-8603-47D568ED2873.jpeg

Reaction Score
Nika=one of the most unique women to play for UConn. Doesn't have the speed or quickness as some guards such as KK, but won Defensive Player of the Year. Primary shot is a long set shot but has a high shooting average. Not overly tall but a fierce rebounder. I live near Parris Island, SC, the Marine Training Base, and she reminds me of the new recruits who often excel based on their tenacity as much as pure skills.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak
Top Bottom