Nika appreciation thread | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Nika appreciation thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'm with you. Also for Moriah and Crystal.

This might not have been Nika, but in the St. Johns game someone came flying down the lane and made a spiffy pass to Aaliyah who was standing right by the basket. Aaliyah then pulled a Moses Malone and missed the layup but scored the put back. So the passer lost an assist and Aaliyah gained a rebound. [this is levity]
I think it was Shade who made the pass.

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
besides all the praise above, i think her outstanding attribute is the way she inspires her teammates. it's innate, kind of like charisma: some have it and some don't -- and it's unclear why. nika inspires those around her.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
My all-time favorite by a landslide due to her tough-as-nails work ethic and the example she sets for the rest of the team. Paige may be the face of UConn women's basketball, but Nika is the unquestioned heart, soul and leader. Not even Paige disputes this.

I pray that she comes back for her fifth year. Yes I realize that may impact recruiting and player development, but the current freshman having another year of Nika as a role model balances that out. Paige coming back probably nudges her in this direction anyway. They are the rare duo that plays for the genuine love of the game without any thought of personal accolades. Team first. That's irreplaceable.

Reaction Score
Hi Nan. I know you have posted this before but do you have handy the All-Time assists list? I'm sure she will break it when she returns next year!
ASSISTS (career)

1. 659 Moriah Jefferson (2012-16) Maya Moore (2007-11)

2. 648 Diana Taurasi (2001-04)

3. 637 Jennifer Rizzotti (1993-96)

4. 632 Renee Montgomery (2006-09)

5. 599 Crystal Dangerfield (2016-20)

6. 585 Sue Bird (1999-02)

7. 559 Bria Hartley (2010-14)

8. 546 Pam Webber (1992-95)

9. 545 Kelly Faris (2009-13)

10. 544 Maya Moore (2007-11)

DavidinNaples

11 is way better than 2..!! :)
Reaction Score
UConn all-time career assist leaders:
1. Moriah Jefferson - 659
2. Diana Taurasi - 648
3. Jen Rizzotti - 637
4. Renee Montgomery - 632
5. Crystal Dangerfield -599
6. Sue Bird - 585
7. Bria Hartley - 559
8. Pam Webber - 546
9. Maya Moore - 544
10. Nika Muhl - 543

Reaction Score
Nika is my favorite player on the current team, and I like all the posts here, but she isn't losing out on any more assists than her predecessors. I've been watching for almost 25 years and I don't remember any team that didn't miss way too many layups.

Reaction Score
Nika is my favorite player on the current team, and I like all the posts here, but she isn't losing out on any more assists than her predecessors. I've been watching for almost 25 years and I don't remember any team that didn't miss way too many layups.
Well said!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
It’s wonderful to see the appreciation and genuine affection that Nika has earned from UConn WBB fans. It wasn’t always so. I remember getting into heated exchanges with a number of Nika naysayers on the BY who seemed to relish criticizing her every mistake. After setting the single season assist record on her way to the all time career record, along with being named BE DPOY, the Nika naysayers have largely been silenced.

Anyone who’s been to a game and watched Nika and her slime spend an extended amount of time after the game talking with fans, signing autographs and taking selfies with young girls who dream of growing up to play basketball at UConn, knows what a wonderful young lady she is. Darko & Roberta have raised a pretty amazing daughter.

After setting the UConn career assist record this year, I hope Nika comes back for a 5th year to extend that record to some “Ruthian” level never to be approached again.

Last edited:

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
It’s wonderful to see the appreciation and genuine affection that Nika has earned from UConn WBB fans. It wasn’t always so. I remember getting into heated exchanges with a number of Nika naysayers on the BY who seemed to relish criticizing her every mistake. After setting the single season assist record on her way to the all time career record, along with being named BE DPOY, the Nika naysayers have largely been silenced.

Anyone who’s been to a game and watched Nika and her slime spend an extended amount of time after the game talking with fans, signing autographs and taking selfies with young girls who dream of growing up to play basketball at UConn, knows what a wonderful young lady she is. Darko & Roberta have raised a pretty amazing daughter.

After setting the UConn career assist record this year, I hope Nika comes back for a 5th year to extend that record to some “Ruthian” level never to be approached again.
Nice post OD, loved her from the beginning, will be one of the unsung heros in the programs history.

Reaction Score

I remember many of those early debates, including a few who said she couldn't play defense!

PacoSwede

Creeker in fact
Reaction Score
I remember many of those early debates, including a few who said she couldn't play defense!
i reserved judgment early on. she was unknown to us, except for the fact that geno recruited her (so she must have had husky promise) as did some respected programs.

gotta admit, i was a bit skeptical. maybe she had been recruited as an adequate backup for her coveted, 'generational' co-freshman, paige. if we were lucky, perhaps nika could be a modern day molly bent.

but there previously had been a mystery recruit who didn't speak english and was totally new to america and she -- sveta --turned out to be pretty good, so let's give the croatian a chance. at the least, she would give the team exposure to another culture, as anna makurat did. and anna, an unknown, had also proved to be a welcome contributor on the court too. why not nika?

then, after a few months at uconn, it was clear -- at least to me (and to geno too) -- that the team played better when nika was on the floor. the stats weren't there: she was not a scorer and she didn't seem to be much as a defender. she was a solid ballhandler and could be a spectacular passer. in general, nika wasn't notable as a player. she clearly had shortcomings. but for whatever unknown reason, the team was better when nika was out there.

geno, perhaps, could explain this. maybe not. but he admitted he saw it. and yet there were some in the BY who didn't. that's OK. there were not any obvious reasons to believe this kid who didn't score or make a lot of steals or contribute statistically would make the team better.

but, oddly, some responded by tearing nika down rather than simply accepting this good fortune: the team did better, why look a gift horse in the mouth. i don't get it. i wish someone could explain it to me.

at least, since nika has been putting up some impressive stats (which, to some, justify her value, i guess) the nika critics have been largely silenced.

Reaction Score
The word Croat appears to come from a root meaning guardian or defender. May have had something to do with threats coming from the east.

Nika certainly defended UConn from the Big East. Her offense was limited at first, but her willingness to lead on the court was always apparent. It may have taken a few games for the team to follow. But follow they did and the dividends really paid off in her junior year when she became the tip of the spear and the floor general.

In the meantime, her offense has improved. At first only transition layups and mortar shot 3s, she developed more confidence driving the lane in half court sets and lately she’s unveiled a dribble-stop jumper. This is really the last ingredient and I love seeing it.

And rebounding! She doesn’t always get a ton. But in close games she is a Tasmanian devil going for rebounds and loose balls. In the last Stanford game she actually outrebounded Brink! Like Aubrey, she is the queen of the little things, and she rules them with an iron fist.

A classic moment against seton hall, Aaliyah grabs a long rebound and instantly outlets it to sprinting Nika who takes one dribble before she fires a laser to Q who scores in stride with no dribble. Total elapsed time from rebound to score? 2 seconds, maybe? This sort of thing doesn’t happen by accident.

Reaction Score
She needs to be first team All American to make the Wall and people that vote on AA awards usually don’t recognize defense and assists as much as gaudy scoring numbers
True words, but what an AA team you would have with 4 guys with gaudy scoring numbers plus Nika! An assist on every possession.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
i reserved judgment early on. she was unknown to us, except for the fact that geno recruited her (so she must have had husky promise) as did some respected programs.

gotta admit, i was a bit skeptical. maybe she had been recruited as an adequate backup for her coveted, 'generational' co-freshman, paige. if we were lucky, perhaps nika could be a modern day molly bent.

but there previously had been a mystery recruit who didn't speak english and was totally new to america and she -- sveta --turned out to be pretty good, so let's give the croatian a chance. at the least, she would give the team exposure to another culture, as anna makurat did. and anna, an unknown, had also proved to be a welcome contributor on the court too. why not nika?

then, after a few months at uconn, it was clear -- at least to me (and to geno too) -- that the team played better when nika was on the floor. the stats weren't there: she was not a scorer and she didn't seem to be much as a defender. she was a solid ballhandler and could be a spectacular passer. in general, nika wasn't notable as a player. she clearly had shortcomings. but for whatever unknown reason, the team was better when nika was out there.

geno, perhaps, could explain this. maybe not. but he admitted he saw it. and yet there were some in the BY who didn't. that's OK. there were not any obvious reasons to believe this kid who didn't score or make a lot of steals or contribute statistically would make the team better.

but, oddly, some responded by tearing nika down rather than simply accepting this good fortune: the team did better, why look a gift horse in the mouth. i don't get it. i wish someone could explain it to me.

at least, since nika has been putting up some impressive stats (which, to some, justify her value, i guess) the nika critics have been largely silenced.
What do you mean Sveta, “didn’t speak English?”

I not come 5,000 mile to play defense!” :cool:

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
From the moment she play her first game I was a fan!!! I saw the energy, desire, toughness needed in a pg to lead the team.

Her defense has been amazing. Love the fire with which she plays.

She is the leader on the court. That has been confirmed many times by Geno.

Her game has grown in her years at UConn. It defines her work ethic to improve her game.

Two time BE Defensive Player of the Year!!!!

As to the naysayers - oh well.

Reaction Score
Watched the old interview with Nika at the NBA program of foreign players held at the 2019 final 4. Always loved that interview, but what I realized was how her English has gotten to the point that I don't hear an accent anymore. She is an all-American girl at this point in her UConn stay. Would love to have her stay a little longer, maybe 1 year longer.
In addition to her English I remember her reaction when the reporter asked her what it was like to have Geno come to see her play. Apparently she knew he was supposed to be there but hadn't seen him in the crowd, so she was kinda surprised. She had already come up with a short list (I think 4) before Uconn indicated an interest. Then added Uconn to the list and quickly committed without making a campus visit. We kind of swooped in at the 11th hour to get her.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
In addition to her English I remember her reaction when the reporter asked her what it was like to have Geno come to see her play. Apparently she knew he was supposed to be there but hadn't seen him in the crowd, so she was kinda surprised. She had already come up with a short list (I think 4) before Uconn indicated an interest. Then added Uconn to the list and quickly committed without making a campus visit. We kind of swooped in at the 11th hour to get her.
I think Jose is still PO'd at Geno for that swoop.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak